• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    to be honest, if you are looking for a first cheap AR then it is you making the decision. You will see people on both sides, and will include vendors not even part of the original comparison. None of the answers are wrong. Different strokes. I will tell you, Obi-Wan Clandestine is the premier AR expert. I have taken a number of armorer and build classes from him. I had a few ARs of varying prices. damn boating accident. :) . I have a cheap AR I build with a complete New Frontier Lower and a complete 5.56 upper from Texas Precision. I wanted one under $500 and did it. Not saying it is the best. Not expecting it to be. I like shooting it. The top end in price is my Primary Weapons System Mk116 Mod1 long piston AR Wylde.

If you are looking at the two mentioned in the beginning, the Ruger may be better. Personally, I do not look down upon people like a snob. Not what I do. Go for it. They do tend to multiple like Tribbles. The Ruger will get you used to how an AR works. Then get a second or build one.

Whichever you get, I would suggest Clandestine's AR 15 Armorer's class and then his build class. You do not need AR parts to build. A lot of us take our existing complete ARs to a build class. You and Clandestine will take it apart completely, then go over stuff and start to put it back together, during which you measure everything and fix crap from the factory build. You end up with the cheaper AR but it is like an engine being blueprinted. That, plus you get to meet others from here and see there are a lot more like you than you think.

One more thing, doing a build class will get you familiar with many versions, including AR pistols, SBRs, etc. One build class had one of each. One member here had an older AR from a Prison that was well loved. It was neat to look at the bore scope and head space checks, as well as what makes it tick, buffer spring, etc. I was more excited about the other guys' builds than my own.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    to be honest, if you are looking for a first cheap AR then it is you making the decision. You will see people on both sides, and will include vendors not even part of the original comparison. None of the answers are wrong. Different strokes. I will tell you, Obi-Wan Clandestine is the premier AR expert. I have taken a number of armorer and build classes from him. I had a few ARs of varying prices. damn boating accident. :) . I have a cheap AR I build with a complete New Frontier Lower and a complete 5.56 upper from Texas Precision. I wanted one under $500 and did it. Not saying it is the best. Not expecting it to be. I like shooting it. The top end in price is my Primary Weapons System Mk116 Mod1 long piston AR Wylde.

If you are looking at the two mentioned in the beginning, the Ruger may be better. Personally, I do not look down upon people like a snob. Not what I do. Go for it. They do tend to multiple like Tribbles. The Ruger will get you used to how an AR works. Then get a second or build one.

Whichever you get, I would suggest Clandestine's AR 15 Armorer's class and then his build class. You do not need AR parts to build. A lot of us take our existing complete ARs to a build class. You and Clandestine will take it apart completely, then go over stuff and start to put it back together, during which you measure everything and fix crap from the factory build. You end up with the cheaper AR but it is like an engine being blueprinted. That, plus you get to meet others from here and see there are a lot more like you than you think.

One more thing, doing a build class will get you familiar with many versions, including AR pistols, SBRs, etc. One build class had one of each. One member here had an older AR from a Prison that was well loved. It was neat to look at the bore scope and head space checks, as well as what makes it tick, buffer spring, etc. I was more excited about the other guys' builds than my own.

You are being too kind. Why are you promoting a guy who does not know anything?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is there any particular reason or reasons you would choose the Ruger over the Stag, other than quality control issues? I've heard of quality control issues on the Ruger as well (gas block pins falling out while shooting, improperly staked gas keys, etc.)

Gas Key Staking is an easy fix and one I prefer over an overtorqued barrel nut.

The FSB pins falling out of the ruger can be rectified with sleeve retaining compound.

The Stag barrel nut issue is not a concern till you want to pull the barrel or to install a handguard. If you plan on leaving the gun stock, the Stag may serve you better.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    You made a comment about Stags and I responded with experience working on both subject guns.

If you have a problem with me commenting about AR Technical posts, then too bad.

Sorry, but your comment seemed some what snippy. It in my opinion it could have been less abrasive. Kind like your above reply.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    You are being too kind. Why are you promoting a guy who does not know anything?

I just picked a post to quote of yours so don't read anything in to this one I picked.
    I have a ruger 556 sitting in the safe. If you want I can ship the upper to you so you can look it over and see what you like and don't like about the build quality. The offer is there if you ever want to take me up on it after things settle down in the new house.

Side note: the upper you assembled for me last month finally went to the range today. It was perfect! I had one friend that wants to send you his upper just so you can make his run as smoothly as mine.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Do you have experience with either of them?

My Stag Model 8 has a nice fit, VERY accurate, runs everything I feed it.

HOWEVER, it is a piston gun, oh, and it's left handed. The good folks at MDS have "guided" me away from such frivolous things, and to be honest, they were right. (No pun intended)

If intell suggests quality issues at Stag, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a Ruger if that were my only choice. Look at Windham as well. And you cannot go wrong with a Colt.

Me, just personally, I have two Del Ton uppers and both have run flawlessly as well. Chad likes their parts, but not always their assembly. He is good people, if he says the best AR is at the bottom of the Chesapeake bay, get your diving gear and go! ;)

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    As said above, if you want a 6721, buy it as they arent as plentiful as they once were. Delton and windham also make affordable md legal ARs in the 750 or less range, deltons being a bit less $$ than the windham. A few places have the ruger for $500, and at that price its hard to get a better value, as long as you know you arent getting a mil spec rifle. Other than the differences noted above in the thread, the ruger has a qd front sling mount instead of a swivel mount. The handguard is also smaller diameter than mil spec probably roughly 1/4" or so. The rear flip up sight is also not ambidextrous, ie, the flip up button is only on the safety side of the rifle compared to the magpul or other buis. But at this point I am nitpicking. Also mine came with a 10 round mag pinned to 5 rounds.....

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Windhams

My Stag Model 8 has a nice fit, VERY accurate, runs everything I feed it.

HOWEVER, it is a piston gun, oh, and it's left handed. The good folks at MDS have "guided" me away from such frivolous things, and to be honest, they were right. (No pun intended)

If intell suggests quality issues at Stag, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a Ruger if that were my only choice. Look at Windham as well. And you cannot go wrong with a Colt.

Me, just personally, I have two Del Ton uppers and both have run flawlessly as well. Chad likes their parts, but not always their assembly. He is good people, if he says the best AR is at the bottom of the Chesapeake bay, get your diving gear and go! ;)

Forgot about those. For a little more they are good rifles. One of my younger brothers has one. I like it a lot.

HTTR

Apr 1, 2018
    Calvert County, MD
    Gas Key Staking is an easy fix and one I prefer over an overtorqued barrel nut.

The FSB pins falling out of the ruger can be rectified with sleeve retaining compound.

The Stag barrel nut issue is not a concern till you want to pull the barrel or to install a handguard. If you plan on leaving the gun stock, the Stag may serve you better.

The Ruger weighs 6.7 pounds while the Stag weighs 7.3. Is a weight difference of .6 pounds or about 10 ounces that noticeable on a rifle?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Ruger weighs 6.7 pounds while the Stag weighs 7.3. Is a weight difference of .6 pounds or about 10 ounces that noticeable on a rifle?

To some people it is, to some it's not. That is a subjective thing that mostly depends on the use of the gun.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    According to Combloc and Willtill, I don't know shit.

If that was true, then a lot of us wouldn't know shit either.

Don't worry about your detractors, always remember your friends. You have lots of friends, and I'm sure that outweighs a few detractors.

I remember you offering to work on a 40, many moons ago, because I was having issues with it. I remember all the advice you gave me on here about why my AR was acting weird. I remember your offer to install a handguard many moons ago, too. There are other examples, but I'll keep the list to a minimum.

You have done a lot for a lot of members on here. Never forget who you are and what you have done for your friends and what your friends have done for you. Use that to carry you through this and other issues.

Keep your chin up, buddy. Don't worry about the small stuff.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Sorry, I was talking to the OP not to you. I never had a problem with my Model 4 Handguards. Didn't know we had to run our opinions on firearm products past you. I have never had a problem with my Model 4, or its handguards or any part on it. I bought it a couple of years ago. Maybe their QC had a bad run, maybe it's better or maybe it worse. Maybe Ruger QC is going bad a well. You really need to take a chill pill.

Sorry, but your comment seemed some what snippy. It in my opinion it could have been less abrasive. Kind like your above reply.

You may want to get the lay of the land, before you lob something at the resident GS. I didn't heed the warnings I was given and I went down the path you are about to head down.

Take some time to see what is what and realize that he has more experience working on firearms than almost all of us do combined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom