• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Figured I would do an update on the Springdield 03 Custom in 35 Whelen Imp I found in a pawn shop awhile back.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=157780
    Been laid up recovering from shoulder surgery and finally got to the point I could shoot a couple months ago.
    Loaded up some 35 Whelen brass and some necked up 30-06 using Redfield 35 Whelen Imp dies, real easy to neck up the 30-06. Fired the rifle and it fire forms both sets of brass beautifully,chamber appears to be perfect.
    Found out that rifle had never been sighted in,elevation was all the way bottomed out and windage all the way to the right so not even close to the target. Centered the scope and used the adjustable mount screws to set windage so got that ok however could not get elevation down enough , ran out of low adjustment.
    Went home and thought about it, decided to order a set of the Burris rings with 20 moa inserts, installed them in the front ring raising the front of the scope.
    Went back to the range and was pleased to find it was now able to be sighted in with plenty of adjustment left. Looks like whoever had the gun built never took the time to sight it in, actually don't think the rifle had 20 rounds thru it. Accuracy is very good, sub moa at 100yds with my hand loads. Recoil is not too bad even with the 250 grain bullets.
    I finally did take the action out of the wood and found the McGowen barrel is dated 1982 underneath, the stock had been bedded and it has a Jaeger trigger not a Timney as I was told.
    All in all very pleased with the rifle and love messing around with the 35 Whelen Imp cartridge, very easy wildcat to get my feet wet with.
    100 yard 6 shot target from a cold, clean bore,35 Whelen brass not fire formed yet.
    IMG_2681_zps3f7b6f75.jpg

And a look at the cartridge from 30-06 up to 35 Whelen Imp
    IMG_2620_zps39d59b78.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom