Other 870 mag fed models on sale as well

Attachments

• 75326732-388F-4EC1-B52E-1181DE227262.jpg
      75326732-388F-4EC1-B52E-1181DE227262.jpg
      50.1 KB · Views: 789

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The magazines look awkward compared to the tube-fed models. Can't top them off with single rounds either; you have to swap the mag.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    A magazine fed shotgun just looks awkward to me, although my first shotgun was mag fed.
    A 12 Gauge bolt action from Montgomery Ward

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    The magazines look awkward compared to the tube-fed models. Can't top them off with single rounds either; you have to swap the mag.

I didn’t like the one I had. The mags are big and awkward, changing them is slow, and took up more space than necessary in a safe. The only positive is they are super easy to load since the follower is just a big flat ramp. Might be more open to them in a semi-auto model for defensive purposes. The pump action ones only make sense to me for hunting, don’t have to worry about a plug, just choose an appropriate size mag.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a TAC-14 non-magazine and it is good for what it is. Most of the trade-ins I've seen are over priced, and at less than the cost of an Express, the Hawk/IAC 982 makes a very good, serviceable 870 like pump shotgun.

Some of the Saiga 12 gauge clones are interesting, but I've never been enthusiastic about semi-auto shotguns. Dollar for dollar, some of the older single shot, break actions make great, versatile firearms. With caliber adapters or running black powder loads, in addition to the usual variety of shotgun loads. Not much a break action can't do under 100 yards.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Couldn't you strip the round and then add one to the mag.

Magpul full length one is tempting. bird head grip and mag would seem to defeat the purpose.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    I have a TAC-14 non-magazine and it is good for what it is. Most of the trade-ins I've seen are over priced, and at less than the cost of an Express, the Hawk/IAC 982 makes a very good, serviceable 870 like pump shotgun.

Some of the Saiga 12 gauge clones are interesting, but I've never been enthusiastic about semi-auto shotguns. Dollar for dollar, some of the older single shot, break actions make great, versatile firearms. With caliber adapters or running black powder loads, in addition to the usual variety of shotgun loads. Not much a break action can't do under 100 yards.

I'm starting to get enthusiastic about semi-auto scatterguns. I picked up a Lynx 12 (Saiga 12 clone) for $379.99 shipped (so under $400 out the door at Gymratz) and I'm in love with the thing using the 10 round mags.

I've wanted a Saiga 12 forever but they (and the VEPRs) have just been out of my desire to price range ratio.

It wasn't liking low brass at first but after a few mags they started running pretty well. Excited to take it back out now that I've cleaned it lubed it well (vs. just taking it out of the box and firing it).

The biggest problem with tactical shotguns IMO is finding a place to shoot em. I'm lucky that my buddy has property in SOMD where we can shoot whatever we want.

I do agree with others, though, that I dont like the external mags on the more traditional looking shotguns. I think that tubes make a lot more sense both aesthetically and tactically on 870s, 500s, 930s, etc...

Box mags look sexy on AK patterned shotties, though. :D

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Couldn't you strip the round and then add one to the mag.

Magpul full length one is tempting. bird head grip and mag would seem to defeat the purpose.

Shotguns are hungry. With a standard pump, you can stick rounds in the mag as needed. This one doesn't allow that.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Still I’d sort of rather buy an old beat up wingmaster for about the same price.

Yeah that’s what I’ve been looking for. Something with a 18.5-20” barrel and rifle sights. Put it in my safe for HD next to my AR

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Shotguns are hungry. With a standard pump, you can stick rounds in the mag as needed. This one doesn't allow that.
    Just insert a new mag into the gun. There's valid critiques to be made of detachable mag shotguns, but reload speed isn't one of them. That's why 3 Gun Open guys all run detachable mag shotguns.

IMHO, there's two things detachable mag guns simply aren't INHERENTLY good at:
    1. One-off slug selects. If you need more than one slug, just carry a mag full of slugs - problem solved. (I consider this to be an almost-invented problem, because the number of times LEOs do slug selects in a situation in real life is vanishingly small.)
    2. Running around with nothing besides the gun. You need some way to carry spare mags, whereas side saddles are pretty common on tube-fed guns. I think this is a real concern in a home defense situation.

Everything else? No contest, detachable mag shotguns kick ass. I don't know if the 870DM is any good, but I think the number of people who can run tube guns at genuinely high speed is a lot less than the people who claim they can.

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    Kinda want one just to add a brace to but that's just more money so the $220 is just a tease.

I did buy a $150 10/22 and so far have sunk $0 in it so If I can resist that aftermarket ,I might be able to buy one of these and not sink a ton of money into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom