• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    ***CALL TO ACTION***
    Maryland Handgun Permit Review Board under Attack by Maryland's Progressive Democrats

HPRB Bill Hearings
    Senate Bill 1000 (Senator Beidle) - Senate Executive Nominations Committee, March 8, 2019 @ 0900
    House Bill 1343 (Delegate Atterbeary) - House Judiciary Committee, March 12, 2019 @ 1300

In 2016, as a part of the Justice Reinvestment Act, Maryland created a Justice Reinvestment Advisory Board with representatives from various government and citizen groups to serve as an independent check and balance on issues related to correctional detainment activities within Maryland.
    In 1999, the City of Baltimore was directed, by Maryland statute, to create the Civilian Review Board to allow citizen oversight of the Baltimore Police Department, with local representation from each Police District mandated under law.
    In 1998, following compliance requirements under Federal Law, the Citizens Review Board for Children was formed to allow direct citizen participation in the oversight of the activities of the various child protection system elements within the various jurisdictions of Maryland.
    Why do I write a historical precis? For purely partisan political reasons, the Maryland General Assembly has decided to attack, with the intention of disbanding, the Handgun Permit Review Board. This board, created by statute in 1972, has a 46 year history of reviewing Maryland State Police decisions concerning the issuance of handgun permits. The more recent iterations of the HPRB have been making decisions that are unpopular with the progressive leadership of the Maryland General Assembly because they have the audacity of holding the Maryland State Police Licensing Division to a plain interpretation of the actual statutory requirements for permit issuance. The progressive leadership refuses to admit that the Licensing Division is using arbitrary, capricious, and highly subjective standards that are not consistent across the application pool when deciding to whom to issue a permit and what restrictions, if any, are to be associated with the issuance.
    The Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association will stand, once again, in strong defense of Constitutional Rights in front of the General Assembly to ensure the voices of law-abiding firearms owners are represented. Please see our Legislation Tracker for ready reference to current bill status and our positions on the issues presented.

Very respectfully,

Michael J. Doherty
    2nd Vice President – Legislative Affairs

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Not only do we NEED this board in place, we need to (in the future) push for more citizen oversight and direct engagement.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Who needs civilian oversight of the police?

The MSP knows so much about infringement, they are the men for the job....

I will be there.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Not only do we NEED this board in place, we need to (in the future) push for more citizen oversight and direct engagement.

The board is good, but has been neutered with the legislation being passed last year. MSP is learning to "turtle" up and just go along during the HPRB hearings. This bill would remove the board and send all appeals to the OAH. Not ideal, being it is a singular judge, but it removes a delay in getting to the courts, which is where we need to be.

I'm not saying this bill is good or that I won't oppose it. Just that there is an end game no matter what the dimwit dems do.

The assignment of this bill to the ENC is a slap in Bobby Zirkin's face. I think there will be more opposition to these bills than many would think.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    And looking at the history of SB1000 looks like it was filed after the cut-off and had to rammed through with a special vote to allow it to be allowed to be submitted.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Note that if you will be submitting written testimony for SB1000 that it should be 45 copies and addressed to the Executive Nominations and Judicial Proceedings committee and submitted by 3/7 5pm to Dept. of Legislative Services Bldg., Room 110
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=cmtepage&stab=03&id=exn&tab=subject7&ys=2019RS

And according to the link provided above it is a paper signup sheet to be closed 8:30am on 3/8.

Update:
    Dept. of Legislative Services Bldg = That building on the side of lawyers mall facing the governor's mansion.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Dropped off testimony in the way home...
    Saw that reps from NRA-ILA, MSRPA, 2A Maryland signed up to oppose.

On the way out of the building I heard a very grating voice and turned around to see none other than the Baron himself. I had to use all my self restraint from ripping that stash off his smug mug..

Reminder written testimony needs to be turned in by 3/7 5pm... Not the morning off. Witness sign up needs to complete by 8:30 on 3/8(hearing day).

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Who was the lady ripped by her arm and removed today giving testimony against bill 1000. Again testimonies cut back to 60 seconds. This sh t Is total bs . Silencing the public no words

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom