• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What about running a bore snake through the barrel after every half dozen to a dozen trips to the range? I guess this question could be for all firearms, not just AR's.

It can work to remove loose fouling bit thats all they are good for. In the field its ok, but I prefer to use a one piece rod and a patch & jag to push stuff out.

When you do use one, be sure to pull it straight out of the muzzle. If you pull it at an angle the embedded carbon in the snake can round out the crown.

If you do use a bore snake understand that every time you use one, it can snap and get stuck in the bore. Getting one out can mean you have to pay a smith and/or you may still end up with a damaged barrel. That wont happen with a solid rod, jag, and proper sized patch.

Bore snakes are perishable as well. Cut them up and throw them away after using them often, or they het old.

If I had to choose between a bore snake and a sectioned rod to clear my barrel, it would be the sectioned rod. A sectioned rod is also useful to clear stuck casings in the field.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Excellent choice. IMO proprietary AR's (Gas Piston) are junk.

Keep it well lubed, dont clean too often, and use good mags and it will serve you well.

Glad to hear the LWRC DI is on the chad approved list. I have one of my own now as well. I am going to try and learn to shoot it left handed to take advantage of all the ambi parts it comes with.

You really cant beat the price of this rifle for all that it comes with. IMO save for sights/optic, this rifle is done out of the box.

Do you agree with that chad?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    thanks! I am happy with the purchase and what swayed me to get the LWRC first was the fact it was available and the price was right. I got the DI version, I previously shot the piston version but for $800 more I couldn't justify it, didn't see enough upside to it

I highly recommend you take a SOTAR class as soon as you can. You will learn a lot about the rifle and be much better off, when doing your own maintenance, lubing, and troubleshooting. The investment for the class has paid off in spades for me at the range, at home, and out in the field while hunting.

As for lube, go and buy a quart of Mobil 1 Synthetic (full synthetic, not the synthetic blend) that is the same weight that your car uses. I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-20 and have noticed that even in storage, firearms will stay lubricated longer than any other gun lube out there. I have transitioned to Mobil 1 Synthetic for all of my firearms, not just the AR. It is a night and day difference over a sold as gun lube or specialty gun lube.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Funny this popped back up today as I just got a lwrc di yesterday.
    It really does feel great.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Glad to hear the LWRC DI is on the chad approved list. I have one of my own now as well. I am going to try and learn to shoot it left handed to take advantage of all the ambi parts it comes with.

You really cant beat the price of this rifle for all that it comes with. IMO save for sights/optic, this rifle is done out of the box.

Do you agree with that chad?

Maybe I'll get one and learn to shoot it right handed..... :rolleyes:

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I highly recommend you take a SOTAR class as soon as you can. You will learn a lot about the rifle and be much better off, when doing your own maintenance, lubing, and troubleshooting. The investment for the class has paid off in spades for me at the range, at home, and out in the field while hunting.

As for lube, go and buy a quart of Mobil 1 Synthetic (full synthetic, not the synthetic blend) that is the same weight that your car uses. I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-20 and have noticed that even in storage, firearms will stay lubricated longer than any other gun lube out there. I have transitioned to Mobil 1 Synthetic for all of my firearms, not just the AR. It is a night and day difference over a sold as gun lube or specialty gun lube.

Agree with this as well. Go see Chad about your gun. ;) You bring it to class, and he takes you through cleaning it. If you have questions, you ask. The biggest surprise is that you don't NEED to clean it... At least not as often... Was weird the first time, but after a while you be like, yeah, I didn't want to do that anyway.

Not sure if he is still doing the cleaning classes, but I will tell you I get a LOT out it it..... Oh and if available get a SOTAR shirt, easier to spot you in a crowd.....

Mine is piston, so no SOTAR for me....yet. Working on a DI build now. I was curious if Chad would melt if I showed up with a piston, but I came to the conclusion I would probably end up with the piston in me bum instead :lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Mine is piston, so no SOTAR for me....yet. Working on a DI build now. I was curious if Chad would melt if I showed up with a piston, but I came to the conclusion I would probably end up with the piston in me bum instead :lol2:

There was a time, not too far in the past, where Chad offered assistance with a op-rod AR that wasn't behaving.

Knowing Chad's disdain for them, the owner at least offered to let Chad use the rail system as a butt-scratcher in return.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    There was a time, not too far in the past, where Chad offered assistance with a op-rod AR that wasn't behaving.

Knowing Chad's disdain for them, the owner at least offered to let Chad use the rail system as a butt-scratcher in return.
    At least we know it wasn't me. So far I have managed to only push his buttons on shooting a 40 and Miltec. Lord help me if I hit the trifecta. 2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom