• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I was hiking through an aspen grove at about 10,000' elevation near Kenosha Pass in Colorado's rockies. I came across these animal tracks that I am still trying to identify. It had rained and snowed the previous night and the ground was soft in places. I was out early in the morning, around sunrise, and passed no one in the two miles between the trailhead and these tracks. In fact, I saw no tracks in the soft ground whatsoever, so I'm confident that I was the first person at this spot after the rain and snow.

As I was walking I saw a large elk track. It was heading from the trail into the underbrush downhill. Then I saw a few more tracks from that animal but one looked weird. Then I came upon the track that stopped me in my tracks. I will show you the photos I took and then what my interpretation is. The large animals that inhabit this area are coyote, mountain lion, black bear, mule deer, elk, and Moose.

This is the track that got my attention.

It was very big. Here it is next to my size 12 wide hiking boot.

Working from that one back the way I had came were these in this order:

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Here is a shot of the area. All of these tracks were located in a short section of trail. They lead out of the woods, along the trail a few paces, and then back into the woods.

The circled area is where all these tracks were located.

My interpretation is that I found tracks of a mountain lion stalking a mule deer or elk. I know the photos aren't the best, but there were the unmistakable hoof prints of a small elk. The track by my boot looks like a mountain lion to me - very large, 4 toes, no claws visible, symmetrical. The last track and maybe the third one show what looks like the mountain lion print on top of the deer/elk print. The deer/elk prints were pretty deep, which makes me lean to elk, and the ground around them was disturbed as if the elk was running.

A buddy of mine who's a hunting guide had this to say:

That's a big ass cat track, I've seen them from time to time here and in California, with a wolf you'd see claw marks and separate tracks, I cut a set of wolf tracks a year ago up in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness in soil just like that and the claws were clearly visible. Next to no chance it's a wolverines as they've been exterpated from the state for decades except in rare cases of them coming from out of state like you mentioned. The other track is a 300ish lb cow elk, deer tend to be more pointed, elk are more blocky.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Awesome photos and description. Very interesting. Hope you were armed; a cat that big could be hunting you as well.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Pretty cool! At least you didn't find the cats tracks doubled up with yours on the hike out.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Here kitty kitty

MDA_060603_2627-L.jpg

MDA_5D_070703_0934-Edit-Edit-L.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I had my XDs 45 in a Hill People Gear kit bag on my chest.
    Cap with "eyes" on the back is another precautionary option, not that I think a mountain lion will attack a big human. They have attacked people riding mountain bikes in California, iirc, as it probably helps trigger prey instincts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Cap with "eyes" on the back is another precautionary option, not that I think a mountain lion will attack a big human. They have attacked people riding mountain bikes in California, iirc, as it probably helps trigger prey instincts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mountain biking on wilderness trails like this one is huge in Colorado. I don't understand it. Come around a corner fairly quiet at high speed and run into a bear or mountain lion. Bikers are killed fairly regularly in Colorado, these are all from this summer:

Mountain biker killed by lightning on trail southwest of Telluride
    http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/13/mountain-biker-killed-lightning-on-trail-southwest-telluride/

Mountain Biker Killed, Left Half Buried on Colorado Trail
    http://www.theinertia.com/mountain/mountain-biker-killed-left-half-buried-on-colorado-trail/

Massachusetts man dies after Vail Mountain bike crash
    http://www.vaildaily.com/news/massachusetts-man-dies-after-vail-mountain-bike-crash/

50-year-old Montrose mountain biker dies on Telluride trail
    http://kdvr.com/2017/07/03/50-year-old-montrose-mountain-biker-dies-on-telluride-trail/

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I've seen mountain lion sign a lot when hiking - tracks and scat. I may never actually see one though. They are very stealthy.

There are mountain lions where I work. My coworkers see them from time to time when driving to work or when leaving work. My wife saw one when she was driving in one morning. We always hear stories of people sitting on their porch at night and suddenly they notice a mountain lion in the shadows staring at them.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    You don't realize how big they are until you are close to them. In the photos I posted earlier I was as close as 10 feet away from the Mountain Lion. This was a trained animal used for movies and photoshoots in Montana. I have photographed Lions, Tigers, and Bears (oh my) at these close distances and the Mountain Lion gave me pause when it started growling on command. I was glad the trainer had a .44 on his hip at the time. I would not want to meet one in the wild.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Idea for new threads:

1. Found tracks of hiker stalking lion stalking elk.
    2. Found tracks of lion stalking hiker stalking lion stalking elk.
    3. Found torn and chewed hiking boots on trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom