• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Back in Maryland after another Alaska wilderness adventure – Alaska delivered as only Alaska can. Here is our gear load arriving on the ridgetop. While flying into camp, we saw a very large grizzly dragging another grizzly that it had killed – and we were reminded that out here, there is competition for the top of the food chain…

3DxB57.jpg

Here’s our campsite – we use the orange tent for sleeping, and the green tent for food and gear. Nice to have a separate tent to cook and sit in when the rain is falling pretty hard. Found water about a half mile from the tents at about the same elevation, so fetching water was relatively easy this year.

BwNjO6.jpg

Shot a nice caribou on Day 2 of our 11-day hunt – he was in a group of 11 that had several other nice bulls in it. He may have been a leader of the group – the rest were hesitant to leave him, and one nice bull hung around the area for 2 days, even after a grizzly dragged the carcass down into a draw.

KlB4jC.jpg

It was about a 2-mile pack back to the ridgetop where the Super Cub could pick up the meat and antlers and take it to town (we had another 9 days to camp and hunt). Here I am at the halfway point back to the ridgetop, shuttling the meat and antlers from one stop to the next.

TahN25.jpg

We saw 8-10 grizzly bears on our 11-day hunt; on Day 4 we encountered this one on the ridge where we camped, and decided that we needed to run him off as he was way too close to camp.

TBKqzR.jpg

Things got a little tense when he circled to get downwind and slightly above us – but after a few moments he opted to search for greener pastures, and we never saw him again.

6Gtvfy.jpg

We were concerned about this calf caribou that hung around camp for a few days; if it didn’t hook up with some adult caribou, it would likely be killed within days by bears or wolves (that is likely what happened to its mother).

8JTY9N.jpg

Although we couldn’t get him a moose, my buddy and I shared another great adventure; we may have to do it again in a few years, when his son graduates from high school…

U5o1TW.jpg

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Looks like an awesome hunt and even better adventure. Congrats on that beautiful caribou, and on staying out of grizzly range (wow). Thanks for sharing, gives us folks that are itching to go more fuel for the fire.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Was this trip on your own recognizance or did you use an organized hunt company / guide?

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Looks like an awesome hunt and even better adventure. Congrats on that beautiful caribou, and on staying out of grizzly range (wow). Thanks for sharing, gives us folks that are itching to go more fuel for the fire.

If you're serious about trying to go in the future, shoot me a PM sometime. I was born in Alaska and have hunted there 12-13 times since 2002, might save you some time with planning and logistical details. It's not cheap, but worth every penny in my mind.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Was this trip on your own recognizance or did you use an organized hunt company / guide?

It was a DIY (do it yourself) hunt except for hiring the transport company to fly us into the field via bush plane. I have a storage unit in Anchorage and keep all of my tents, sleeping bags, camp gear there, just have to take up my rifle and a few other items each time I go.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    How many pounds of meat did the caribou yield?

Looks like a great time

I would guess about 150 pounds of meat, give or take. I have 2 sisters in Anchorage, so my meat never gets to a butcher shop - I try to do a good job of trimming it and keeping it clean in the field, and then drop it off to both of them when I get back to Anchorage.

AV8OR

Jan 22, 2010
    I look forward to these posts of yours every year. Good work. I hope to get out there for a hunt in the next few years.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thanks for sharing your adventure! One of these days, while I still have my wits and fitness, I want to make the trek to AK for some hunting and fishing. It is one of only a few spots on my bucket list and I will check that one off one day soon! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the 'bou! :beer:

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I look forward to these posts of yours every year. Good work. I hope to get out there for a hunt in the next few years.

Thanks. I have a couple of hunt partners lined up, but most guys go once due to cost and family considerations. Always keeping an eye out for future hunt partners...

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Thanks for sharing your adventure! One of these days, while I still have my wits and fitness, I want to make the trek to AK for some hunting and fishing. It is one of only a few spots on my bucket list and I will check that one off one day soon! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the 'bou! :beer:

Thanks! You'll never regret making a journey to Alaska, it's a place like no other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom