• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    I'm getting conflicting answers on my two questions...

1. I know I can buy a stripped lower receiver in maryland. I also know I can build it in a pistol configuration, or in a heavy barrel configuration in compliance with the law. Can I build a stripped lower receiver, purchased after the law changed, with an 18" barrel in a contour that is not heavy barrel?

2. Can I make an 80% lower into a 16" heavy barrel rifle or pistol?

I made the mistake of ordering an 18" SPR upper (hell of a deal), but was planning on putting it on a new receiver when I buy it. I hope I'm not out of luck

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    As I understand it. You will be manufacturing a Banned weapon if you put that upper on anything (lower) you buy now.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    You can not build a banned rifle with a reciever aquired post 10/1/13 legally.

Hbars and AR pistols are legal

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just curious, what are the barrel diameters of the spr upper in front of and behind the gas block? You'll probably have to remove the rail for the second measurement. All is not lost yet.

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    A word of caution regarding a stripped lower - if it was transferred to you as "Other" you can legally build it as a pistol, or as an HBAR rifle. If the lower was transferred to you as a rifle, you cannot legally build it as a pistol.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Just curious, what are the barrel diameters of the spr upper in front of and behind the gas block? You'll probably have to remove the rail for the second measurement. All is not lost yet.

I tried to get a technical answer from the MSP about that. I got nothing.

What the MSP eventualy said is; If its Marked HBAR, or Advertised/Marketed by the MANUFACTURER as a HBAR, then it is.

That definition is as clear as peanut butter.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I tried to get a technical answer from the MSP about that. I got nothing.

What the MSP eventualy said is; If its Marked HBAR, or Advertised/Marketed by the MANUFACTURER as a HBAR, then it is.

That's the law as it is written. The firearm must have HBAR or Heavy Barrel on the barrel or lower receiver.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's the law as it is written. The firearm must have HBAR or Heavy Barrel on the barrel or lower receiver.

Well, I've bought H-bar ''advertised'' bbls. that have no H-bar markings on them. Do I have to carry a catalog describing my bbl with me? It's a rhetorical question. As Clandestine said, it's clear as peanut butter. But, there are companies that will only ship Md. compliant uppers/guns to Md. addresses. I was gonna suggest the OP try/check that route. I'd be on it like a spider monkey!:)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I tried to get a technical answer from the MSP about that. I got nothing but navel gazing.

FIFY;)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Well, I've bought H-bar ''advertised'' bbls. that have no H-bar markings on them. Do I have to carry a catalog describing my bbl with me? It's a rhetorical question. As Clandestine said, it's clear as peanut butter. But, there are companies that will only ship Md. compliant uppers/guns to Md. addresses. I was gonna suggest the OP try/check that route. I'd be on it like a spider monkey!:)

Regardless of what you buy and how it is advertised, the Maryland law states that the barrel or lower receiver must have HBAR or Heavy Barrel inscribed on the barrel or lower receiver. That is the law. The manufacturers aren't making a barrel just for Maryland release, so they may say they are an HBAR configuration, but it must be inscribed as an HBAR or Heavy Barrel or it's an illegal configuration.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

The next time a cop pulls you out of your vehicle on your way to the range and pulls out his caliper and asks you to remove the forearm off of your AR that catalog page may come in handy.:D

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Regardless of what you buy and how it is advertised, the Maryland law states that the barrel or lower receiver must have HBAR or Heavy Barrel inscribed on the barrel or lower receiver. That is the law. The manufacturers aren't making a barrel just for Maryland release, so they may say they are an HBAR configuration, but it must be inscribed as an HBAR or Heavy Barrel or it's an illegal configuration.

Can you post this?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The next time a cop pulls you out of your vehicle on your way to the range and pulls out his caliper and asks you to remove the forearm off of your AR that catalog page may come in handy.:D

...or i'll carry a copy of my receipt, or, maybe I'll stamp H-bar on it myself.:brows: Just kidding:D

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Please provide a citation to this in the FSA of 2013, or any guidance provided by the attorney general. From my look at the FSA, H-Bars are exempt from the prohibition on sales, but they are H-Bars based on the barrel's profile, not its markings. The test is the shape, not the stamping.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I will look for it and report back tomorrow. I've gotta go out to dinner with the family now.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If you want an evil barrel "rifle" do an AR pistol with an unpinned 14.5" barrel. It's close enough to a rifle, but still a pistol. You can shoulder the buffer tube, just not an arm brace.

CSS

Nov 30, 2012

It's based on barrel profile, meaning diameter at the gas port is .750 (HBAR). Doesn't need to be inscribed anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom