• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carpecervisi

Feb 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Honestly, our best chance for this happening now isn't this lawsuit. It's the fact that I finally decided to get into NFA weapons and just dropped $12k.

But you're welcome, everyone. This is just my continued heritage of poorly timed financial decisions.

:D

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Honestly, our best chance for this happening now isn't this lawsuit. It's the fact that I finally decided to get into NFA weapons and just dropped $12k.

But you're welcome, everyone. This is just my continued heritage of poorly timed financial decisions.

:D

Thank you!!!! I will be able to buy 3 legally with no stamp (?) for the same cost in the future after the SCOTUS makes the final ruling. Wonder if the ruling will apply to suppressors, etc? :D

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Can someone put this into layman's terms what this might mean? Does this only mean that we can now put new MGs on the books and that the "value" of MGs, which has skyrocketed since the late 80s will drop, or does this mean that MGs will be legal to own without requiring an ATF tax stamp? Or is it both? Or Neither?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    This lawsuit could go on for years but I believe it has merit...

It The lawsuit challenges the post '86 ban, claiming that machine guns are protected under the 2A because they are 'ordinary military equipment' and these weapons have personal self-defense value. Plus, the fact that citizens have the right to own machine guns made before '86, so why are they not trusted by the government to own machine guns made after '86?

The lawsuit also challenges the authority of the federal government to tax a 2A civil right when there are no other taxes associated with other civil rights; Voting, freedom of speech, religion, etc.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I remain hopeful, but I think the suit would have a greater chance of winning over the justices had it been (or touched) on financial grounds. That is, they should've highlighted the fact that US gun makers are facing unfair competition from overseas since they're not able to make/sell MGs to overseas (and US) markets. Therefore, the GCA is unfairly anti-competitive and prohibitively exclusionary to US vendors who're unable to compete on an equal playing field. At least that'd be my premise.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Am I the only one who thought it was a thread about this?

strike_iwsp41.jpg

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ... That is, they should've highlighted the fact that US gun makers are facing unfair competition from overseas since they're not able to make/sell MGs to overseas (and US) markets. Therefore, the GCA is unfairly anti-competitive and prohibitively exclusionary to US vendors who're unable to compete on an equal playing field. At least that'd be my premise.

What stops them from making MGs for sale over seas? Export restrictions to some countries, import restrictions by host countries... However thats not stopping MG sales around the world. Frankly if the Feds do have one thing correct that would be the ability to control imports and exports. Both US and foreign dealers are both equally restricted inside the US. So I see nothing there. US gun manufactures can make and sell MGs to many parts of the world.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    What stops them from making MGs for sale over seas? Export restrictions to some countries, import restrictions by host countries... However thats not stopping MG sales around the world. Frankly if the Feds do have one thing correct that would be the ability to control imports and exports. Both US and foreign dealers are both equally restricted inside the US. So I see nothing there. US gun manufactures can make and sell MGs to many parts of the world.

Can, say, S&W manufacture a MG for export?
    My understanding is that the manufacture or sale of MGs in the US was banned as a result of the GCA. No?

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    Can, say, S&W manufacture a MG for export?
    My understanding is that the manufacture or sale of MGs in the US was banned as a result of the GCA. No?

They sure can. If you're building them, it's for our gov or someone else's as long as you play by the books. Suppressors, on the other hand, are a no go on export. Carter put a stop to that and it put Military Armament Corp out of business.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Any FFL07 w/ SOT can build 'postie' MGs. All legal. A couple of the IPs here do it.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    They sure can. If you're building them, it's for our gov or someone else's as long as you play by the books. Suppressors, on the other hand, are a no go on export. Carter put a stop to that and it put Military Armament Corp out of business.

So S&W can manufacture MGs here and export them to, say, Israel?
    I did not know that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom