• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    <-----Continued from previous post----->

Because the noise reduction device was deemed to be an NFA item, it was serialized to match the carbine serial number:
    P1190046_zpsq3osa7ge.jpg

A detail of the flash suppressor cuts:
    P1190047_zpstnniugeb.jpg

And the rear of the device:
    P1190048_zpslwzynyav.jpg

Other than having a carbine buffer, the internals are standard for the era:
    P1190062_zps9ttckssb.jpg

P1190063_zpsuac4afsc.jpg

P1190064_zpsbqaaytol.jpg

P1190066_zpsjdeba4vs.jpg

P1190067_zpslbbrtvis.jpg

P1190068_zpsmspfmawn.jpg

P1190069_zps6decfmev.jpg

So that's it for the 639. It's an iconic Colt design that you don't encounter very often. The neato torpedo combination flash suppressor, ultra-operator short barrel and the two thumbs up aluminum stock made this jobber one of the coolest little carbines to ever come out of Hartford!

Before I sign off, I want to share a few pictures of two upcoming rifles. One is made by Harrington & Richardson. No, it's not a Colt but it's close enough that we can include it here:
    P1190071_zpsoq4qsnt8.jpg

The other is what at first glance just appears to be a plain ol' SP1:
    P1190072_zps8oljjvh2.jpg

BUT, upon closer inspection of the serial number appears to be a head scratcher:
    P1190073_zpssr8ifnop.jpg

Officially, SP1 production started in January of 1964 with serial number 00101 but this one is numbered 00018. How can that be?? I'll explain later. See you soon!

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Next up are a couple M16's made by Harrington & Richardson (H&R). No, they aren't Colt's but I think they are germane to the discussion so I'm including them here. In order to temporarily supplement Colt's production for the war in Vietnam, both H&R and General Motors were contracted in 1968 to build complete rifles. While test samples were available in 1968, actual series production began in 1969. H&R serial numbers started at 2,000,000 while GM started at 3,000,000. I do not know the total number produced by either manufacturer. While both suppliers built rifles that were up to government standards, GM produced rifles are generally considered to be better built than a Colt while H&R is considered to be inferior.
    The only hands on experience I have with GM is one that I built some time ago from parts that I was told were removed from a complete previously unaltered (save for the handguards) rifle. I tend to believe that because the entire upper appears to have its original finish and all parts (other than the handguards) appear to be totally correct and never apart. Of all the AR's I have shot, it's the smoothest I've encountered. If you folks are interested, let me know and I'll post it at some point.
    Similarly, the only hands on experience I have with H&R is the two we're going to be looking at here. The later one rattles a little bit and the early one rattles a lot; so much so that it feels cheaply made. For the most part, both of these rifles are essentially the same except that the later one has the then new trapdoor stock. Still, there are a number of detail differences and I'll point out some of them in the text. But rather than compare each side by side, I'll cover the early one in some detail and then move on to the later one leaving the reader to mostly compare for himself. This will take several posts so bear with me. Okiedokie, let's get started.

For the sake of brevity, The left and right side general pictures will show both rifles:
    P1190076_zpszumg6ki6.jpg

P1190079_zpswp5hrrkq.jpg

The early example is at the top in both pictures. After this point, all pictures will be of the early rifle until I tell you otherwise.

Receiver left side:
    P1190125_zpsm4xyifhz.jpg

Notice how much better struck the manufactures mark stamp is compared to the magazine well stamp.

Right side:
    P1190129_zpsradlnlie.jpg

This is a typical Vietnam era M16.

Magazine well markings:
    P1190126_zpso7udedgg.jpg

Note how shallow the roll mark is. It's much more defined on the other one.

Closeup of the ejection port:
    P1190131_zps43lkpmkr.jpg

Compare this with the same picture of the later rifle we'll see in a little while and you'll see some interesting (well....interesting if you are a detail nut) differences.

Yip-Yip windage adjustment wheel:
    P1190133_zpsabsflvz3.jpg

The "R" is kind of blobby.

Many of the flash lines on both the upper and lower receivers is typically left unground on H&R specimens:
    P1190136_zpsxsdtjkhp.jpg

P1190138_zpsq70od15b.jpg

The chalky mark just north of the charging handle is a blemish in the finish. Being that both of these rifles most likely came from the H&R museum and were never issued, it's probably safe to say it left the factory like this.

P1190161_zpsxlsittcy.jpg

P1190162_zpsknkbdol3.jpg

This last flash line does appear to have been at least minimally dressed:
    P1190164_zpsnd3chm1r.jpg

And the same shot with different lens settings:
    P1190163_zpsjdqf1jb6.jpg

It's a little more washed out but it reveals more finish variation details along the flash line.

This little nub at the front of the magazine well is another typical H&R feature:
    P1190153_zpscsyt7v8v.jpg

The buttstock is a typical late solid body unit and the stock screw does have a drain hole:
    P1190128_zpsnunefdto.jpg

The pistol grip is of the period standard fat variety:
    P1190160_zps5jkupigv.jpg

The rear sight leaf is typical:
    P1190137_zpsfxrrmbco.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the 0-200M aperture but it looks just like what you're used to seeing too.

Left side of front sight:
    P1190139_zpspg2ofjjh.jpg

This mark on the left side of the barrel looks like nothing but it's a poorly struck and upside down "MP":
    P1190140_zpscycqa5f7.jpg

The chrome chamber mark (remember, bores were not chrome yet) is also on the left side of the barrel and upside down:
    P1190142_zpscdygqnbb.jpg

When we look at the later jobber, you'll notice that the markings on that one are on the right side and properly oriented.

Right side of the front sight:
    P1190143_zpsnm7xsln8.jpg

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The trigger group and buffer:
    P1190144_zpsssgp8ays.jpg

Buffer removed:
    P1190154_zpsrayq0vxy.jpg

The other one is identical. I'm telling you that now because you won't see a picture of it later.

Right side of bolt group:
    P1190148_zpsmpspge2y.jpg

Left side of bolt group:
    P1190149_zpstdj0fntp.jpg

Notice that there are no identifying marks. We only really know this came from H&R because it came out of an unissued H&R rifle.

Bolt group parts minus the carrier:
    P1190151_zpsubodxb9b.jpg

"MP" mark on bolt:
    P1190150_zpszkdxjycr.jpg

Staking on key:
    P1190147_zpsqqovb3tz.jpg

The later one is quite different.

Shot of carrier front showing machining details and internal chrome plating:
    P1190152_zpspza1pxrc.jpg

The pivot pin lug on the upper is counterbored for the earlier removeable pin:
    P1190158_zpspryn6ovm.jpg

This unnecessary detail was carried on long after the switch to a captive pin.

Wedge shaped bevel on the rear lug to aid in upper to lower realignment during reassembly:
    P1190157_zps6bk5hcgt.jpg

Although it's out of focus, the tear drop forward assist is clearly visible.

This last one is a view up into the chamber from below:
    P1190159_zpsm8rpzpuj.jpg

If you didn't know, you would think this was a Colt.

That's it for the 14911th series production H&R. Again, other than the stock and the most minute details, these rifles are identical. On the next one, we'll look under the handguards and at a few other things we didn't look at on this one simply for the sake of unnecessary redundancy. See you then.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Next up is the 227674th H&R made M16A1. It's the one on the bottom:
    P1190076_zpszumg6ki6.jpg

P1190079_zpswp5hrrkq.jpg

Other than the later style trapdoor stock, it's very much the same rifle but there are little differences here and there.

Left side of receiver:
    P1190082_zpslnfvwrbd.jpg

Right side of receiver:
    P1190083_zpskxw5wxk4.jpg

Magazine well markings:

P1190127_zpsolnphzl9.jpg

They are much better stamped on this one. In fact, everything on this rifle shows a little more attention to detail. It rattles less too and just feels better built than the earlier example.

Front of carry handle:
    P1190084_zpsi8j6g9fc.jpg

The unground flash line is signature H&R. Colt and GM removed it.

Rear of carry handle:
    P1190085_zpsei5dtxh1.jpg

GM left this line unground as well but Colt did not.

Butt plate:
    P1190086_zpsrxkn6mi6.jpg

Trapdoor open showing the fill material inside:
    P1190087_zpsrfb5xzll.jpg

One of millions but still neato!

The rear sight is typical:
    P1190088_zpszuio6bil.jpg

The rear sight adjustment markings on this one are much more defined compared to the earlier H&R:
    P1190103_zpsdaxr4tfl.jpg

Right side of front sight:
    P1190089_zpsttf8vhif.jpg

It's interesting that at this late date H&R is still using a roll pin to retain the front swivel.

Standard birdcage flash hider:
    P1190090_zpssfa0b6k7.jpg

Top of front sight showing crude looking adjustment markings:
    P1190091_zpscujpxsqy.jpg

Contrary to the earlier one we looked at, the markings on this barrel are right side up and on the right side. Here is the "C" mark telling us that only the chamber is chromed:
    P1190094_zpskcwcavay.jpg

Oblique view of the front sight base:
    P1190099_zpsxxfdkzuw.jpg

Depending on my mood, I switch back and forth in preferring the early clean looking cast sight base and this more German late war looking forged one.

Right side view:
    P1190096_zps9on7xil9.jpg

It's very faint to the point of taking my word for it but their is a right side up "MP" mark on the barrel directly below the gas tube retainer roll pin.

Nah, you don't have to take my word for it. Here's a closeup of the mark under different lighting conditions:
    P1190120_zpscnd4wq2e.jpg

The rear of the sight base looks just like.....well, what you would see today:
    P1190101_zpsau2glqql.jpg

To be 100% honest, the only significant thing that really differentiates this rifle from the gadzillions of M16A1's of this era is the H&R roll mark. BUT, my job is to document, not to judge. Whatever the case, it's still a worthwhile artifact of US firearms History.

A detail shot of the right side of the bolt with the ejection port door open:
    P1190102_zpssseydnqh.jpg

Compare the hole in the bolt for the firing pin retaining pin with the same hole on the earlier specimen and you'll see a difference.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Action open showing the innards of the lower receiver:
    P1190104_zpswiqwojdz.jpg

The face of the buffer is much better dressed than the other H&R. The rest of the buffer is identical down to the orange color of the bumper at its arse so please forgive me for not showing you a picture of it.

Left side of the bolt group:
    P1190105_zps2wsxnyil.jpg

It's completely devoid of markings so you'll just have to trust me that it's an actual H&R assembly.

Right side of same:
    P1190106_zpsgidjwpfj.jpg

The stakings on the key are no joke!:
    P1190107_zps1hln61vl.jpg

The "MP" mark on the bolt head is a full on botched mess:
    P1190108_zpsiau9pydy.jpg

Bolt face:
    P1190109_zpsigii0tpq.jpg

How many rounds do you think this thing has seen? My guess is zero past the proof/factory test rounds.

Another view of the bolt:
    P1190113_zpsqf7yyble.jpg

Bottom of the bolt carrier:
    P1190110_zps8kl6t4zx.jpg

Firing pin:
    P1190111_zps7drxywks.jpg

Again, the only way we know this is a H&R part is because I'm saying so. I might be lying to you.

The firing pin, cam pin and firing pin retaining pin:
    P1190112_zpsehthmz70.jpg

Exciting, isn't it?

Front of the bolt carrier showing the chrome plating spilling out of the bore and onto the front face:
    P1190114_zpsklgpnxq2.jpg

A bottom forward view of the breach:
    P1190116_zpsxgbucanj.jpg

A look at the bevel cut on the rear retaining pin lug for no other reason then I took the picture:
    P1190118_zpsndq3hm4y.jpg

Even at this late date (1970ish), H&R is still inletting the front pivot pin lug on the upper receiver for the long since dropped removable front pin:
    P1190119_zpsa1niq7zl.jpg

We didn't take a look at the other one with the handguards removed so we'll take them off this one:
    P1190121_zpsahpcczqq.jpg

Notice that they do nave the "drain holes" but the y are not marked for left (L) or right (R).

As you would expect at this point in time, the gas tube is stainless steel and has the later bend to it:
    P1190123_zpscniwa3mj.jpg

And that's it. We're done with the H&R M16's. In the next post, we'll move back to looking at Colts and we'll do so with an SP1. Until then, be a Patriot.....stand with Virginian Liberty! MOLON LABE!!!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thanks but not all of these are mine. Some are, some aren't. I'm writing this simply to spread information and for the fun of it.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Thanks but not all of these are mine. Some are, some aren't. I'm writing this simply to spread information and for the fun of it.

Well I appreciate your efforts. This is the best thread, period. Great info. Great pics. Fascinating stuff.
    Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom