• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Is it legal with VA permit to carry concealed in Williamsburg Merchant Square or is the entire place a declared campus area? I searched the VA forum, but failed to find an answer.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Is it legal with VA permit to carry concealed in Williamsburg Merchant Square or is the entire place a declared campus area? I searched the VA forum, but failed to find an answer.

It seems no different than Dick’s.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title8/agency115/chapter20/section20/

C. Entry upon university property in violation of this prohibition is expressly forbidden. Persons violating this prohibition will be asked to remove the weapon immediately from university property. Failure to comply with this request may result in arrest for trespass. Members of the university community are also subject to disciplinary action.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    W & M campus starts at boundary st. going west. Merchants square is east of boundary st.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    IANAL I’m not seeing how it’s different than carrying on private property. If you’re asked to leave, you leave. If you don’t leave, it’s trespassing.

Am I missing something?

Digby

Feb 19, 2014
    Western Howard County
    W & M campus starts at boundary st. going west. Merchants square is east of boundary st.

Are you certain about that? The CW map shows CW as extending west only so far as Henry St. Everything west of Henry St. does not appear to be part of CW. I just don't see anything that confirms that Merchant Square is part of CW. For that matter, I see nothing on the W&M website that indicates that Merchant Square is part of the campus.

rambling_one -- you may want to call the local PD to get an answer, just to be safe.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Are you certain about that? The CW map shows CW as extending west only so far as Henry St. Everything west of Henry St. does not appear to be part of CW. I just don't see anything that confirms that Merchant Square is part of CW. For that matter, I see nothing on the W&M website that indicates that Merchant Square is part of the campus.

rambling_one -- you may want to call the local PD to get an answer, just to be safe.

:thumbsup: as to making a call.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Colonial Williamsburg police said sitting outside the shops is fine. If I wanted to go inside one, signage laws would apply; leave if requested to do so. Officer was very polite.

Digby

Feb 19, 2014
    Western Howard County
    Merchants square is on the Williamsburg foundation website. I don't think it has anything to do with the college.

https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/locations/merchants-square-shops

budman -- if you download the map from the link you provided, you'll see that CW's western boundary is shown as Henry Street. You are correct that the CW web site refers the viewer to Merchant's Square, but it makes no claim that Merchant's Square is part of CW. It may well be, but so far the most conclusive piece of evidence that I've seen on this point is CW's own map, which shows CW as extending no farther than Henry Street.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    budman -- if you download the map from the link you provided, you'll see that CW's western boundary is shown as Henry Street. You are correct that the CW web site refers the viewer to Merchant's Square, but it makes no claim that Merchant's Square is part of CW. It may well be, but so far the most conclusive piece of evidence that I've seen on this point is CW's own map, which shows CW as extending no farther than Henry Street.

I think this is correct...we go there often
    and over many years.

Once west of Henry, hit up Berrett’s Seafood
    Restaurant for dirt cheap local oysters and great drinks at Happy Hour. Stay for a terrific and hearty supper. We love it. More a “local” place
    than a tourist place, by far.

We LOVE Colonial Williamsburg! Like our
    own nearby Mt Vernon (Incredible!) it is a
    true National Treasure!!! And, this is the
    best time of the year to be there...moderate weather, lesser crowds, all attractions and events still in place. Don’t miss it!!!!!

See the weapons displays at the Dewitt Wallace Museum, the Magazine, and the Governor’s Palace. Do NOT miss the
    gunsmith shop near The Capitol...talk about true artists at work and available for ALL your questions. Just don’t drool on the iron...don’t
    ask how I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom