• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I recently bought many bags of patches and they are not like the ones of have bought for so many years. They come apart when I put them on, as well when I'm cleaning my guns. Little thread pieces everywhere. These were shipped to me, but when I ran in to a store they looked the same way.
    Anyone else notice this?

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I recently bought many bags of patches and they are not like the ones of have bought for so many years. They come apart when I put them on, as well when I'm cleaning my guns. Little thread pieces everywhere. These were shipped to me, but when I ran in to a store they looked the same way.
    Anyone else notice this?

Yep, I have bought several different brands of cotton patches, Hoppes too, and I have the same thing. I even ran a batch through the washing machine to see if it would remove all the fraying pieces and it doesn't.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    When I'm not using scrap cotton or flannel like muleskinner I like to use pro-shot patches. Even then the threads will sometimes be loose when they're cut but still stay together well.
    Outside of cleaning a bore they also seem to have good gription when it comes to making sure the fine ground dust from filing or doing other repairs/fitting is going on. Whether its wood dust or metal they seem to pick up the contaminates pretty well.
    They're also cheap enough in bulk from the manufacturer to not be cost prohibitive. For boiling out muzzle-loaders I still like to cut my own because of the size and how many are used between cleaning drying and oiling the bore.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    I have been using the Swab-its products. No lint left behind, they clean up pretty well so you can get multiple uses out of them. They have many different products.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I've been using old flannel shirts and sheets for cleaning patches for years. Cut them with pinking shears to keep the fraying to a minimum. I buy them at goodwill for a couple bucks. 1 queen size sheet will last me a few years.

Great idea with the shears. I've been recycling t-shirts like this for the past 5 years. At first, I was thinking that I really don't have to be this cheap. That changed when I threw out a bunch of gun patches after they all were leaving threads all over my pistol. The t-shirts are just much better quality cotton.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    You can get surplus cotton rags at HD for cheap. Then cut them into whatever you desire.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    paper towel patches

Am I the only one using paper or shop towels for patches? These work great for the larger bores (50 cal+). I use cotton for jags etc.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    For years I have used 2"X2" non woven dental sponges.

Attachments

• P1010025.JPG
      P1010025.JPG
      92 KB · Views: 142

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Paper shop towels are terrible! They are equivalent to about 4k grit sandpaper and will wear your bore out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom