Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 24th, 2017, 07:31 PM #11

Hmm...having shot on a couple of ranges in Europe that were very upscale, it could work. And by upscale, I mean both a decent bar/grill on the premises and Olympic-class ranges. Probably work better in Montgomery or Anne Arundel County, though. And you'd need both skeet and trap fields.
Old November 24th, 2017, 08:28 PM #12
TV Personality

TV Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
I've reached my monthly limit for the scumpaper , but I'll presume it's the usual type of proposed business plans

Range systems , and particularly OSHA complient air handling and filtering aren't cheap . Having heard how many $ millions basic indoor facilities with industrial ambiance will require , you can indeed use a cubic ton of $$ initially doing either flexible , dynamic range facilities, OR upscale amenities.

Could upscale Guntry Clubs be an actual thing ? Sure. There is a price point threshold where the simple fact of being stupid expensive creates a sense of cachet just for being expensive .Rich people showing off conspicuous consumption , and latest status entertainment for entertaining clients of partners on corporate expense account.

Of course the would have to deliberately drive away the core shooting range demographic , so the yuppies and fat cats wouldn't have " us " around to spoil their vibe .

Yeah , big reach for that to happen, all by itself .
So such an endeavor would need substantial.gov contracts for bread & butter, and rich yuppie social club that happen to also have a shooting lane for the icing.

These "guntry clubs" aren't quite like you think (I think). More like a range you actually enjoy going to instead of something you will settle for. I've been to several down south and they are more like Heritage if you've been there.

I'd rather drive 45 mins to Heritage than 10 minutes to On Target for example.

The ranges down south are even bigger than Heritage and go out to 100 yards, sims training, etc.. Super nice, but not unaffordable for an afternoon of plinking with the family on Christmas Eve.
Old November 24th, 2017, 08:43 PM #13
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name Taken View Post
Raising capital will not be a problem and I would bet on this happening and I'd bet on it working well.
The Beltsville proposed range failed to raise half as much as this one would need, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 08:48 PM #14
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
Hmm...having shot on a couple of ranges in Europe that were very upscale, it could work. And by upscale, I mean both a decent bar/grill on the premises and Olympic-class ranges. Probably work better in Montgomery or Anne Arundel County, though. And you'd need both skeet and trap fields.
I agree. Location, location and location.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Old November 24th, 2017, 08:58 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
The Beltsville proposed range failed to raise half as much as this one would need, so I wouldn't bet on it.
I would be shocked if it didn't get built. Rather it lasts or not who knows.

The main company the potential future owners run now is profitable and well networked.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell
Name Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 09:00 PM #16
i pi

i pi

The one in Beltsville could not raise the money (8-10 million). Beltsville was a better location too.

Banks are going to avoid lending to a gun business like a hot potato, which means private equity, crowd-sourcing, or angel funds or something. A high-end club in a Texas or Florida suburb, abso-****ing-lutely. An indoor 50 (or 100!) yard range... possibly. But another 25 yd range in another anti-gun county of MD... lattes or not... just because people are pro-2A does not mean they are pro-political nightmare and and pro-flushing money down the toilet.

I do hope I am wrong and this place is great. I will have a different opinion where there are 75,000 wear and carry holders in MD.

Keep in mind, the kind of people they are hoping to attract (upscale, high income)... will be busy moving out of this state when the next Democrat wins .gov and raises taxes. Again.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 09:14 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
I agree. Location, location and location.
Agreed. This location is too close to the Crime Train. Remember when there was a really nice shopping mall there with high-end stores? No doubt membership/visit fees will price them out, but they’ll be outside in the parking lot waiting for the “rich guys” & the “rich guys’ guns” to assault, rob, & steal.
AlBeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:50 PM #18
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
The one in Beltsville could not raise the money (8-10 million). Beltsville was a better location too.

Banks are going to avoid lending to a gun business like a hot potato, which means private equity, crowd-sourcing, or angel funds or something. A high-end club in a Texas or Florida suburb, abso-****ing-lutely. An indoor 50 (or 100!) yard range... possibly. But another 25 yd range in another anti-gun county of MD... lattes or not... just because people are pro-2A does not mean they are pro-political nightmare and and pro-flushing money down the toilet.

I do hope I am wrong and this place is great. I will have a different opinion where there are 75,000 wear and carry holders in MD.

Keep in mind, the kind of people they are hoping to attract (upscale, high income)... will be busy moving out of this state when the next Democrat wins .gov and raises taxes. Again.

The Beltsville location was only looking to raise 5 mil. This is a LOT more moola. Its not banks they are trying to raise the money from, its independent investors, venture capitalists

Old November 25th, 2017, 11:23 AM #19
ZFG

Location: Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Woodbine!
ZFG

Location: Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Woodbine!
Sounds awesome

“You’re not peaceful if you’re not capable of great violence. Rather, you’re harmless.”
Alphabrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 12:39 PM #20

Great Idea and Investment. The TSS Range on Avondale Pa just off of Rt1 opened last year same idea and they are packed. One of the owners told me they had 1.5 mil in the place. The way things look like they are going they should have that back in a couple of years. The store is always well stocked and prices are fair. Training classes are held on a regular basis and you can even fire a Gatling gun as they have one to shoot. Been there a couple of times nice for indoors. Chris
Senior Hunter Safety Instructor State of Maryland
NRA Range Safety Officer

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland