Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 12th, 2019, 06:58 AM #171

It's all cool and hanging in the deer cooler at 39į. She is going to butcher it this morning after she went over last night to get a picture. You can't post it on instagram unless you got a picture, .. don't you know. Chewed the fat with my buddy a bit. One the way home I got the "You going to help me butcher, or I gotta do this one all on my own?" Yea, .. I'll help.

My buddy told her to focus on bucks on the farm for a while and we can all kill does in December and January. She has a spot with neighborhood deer to kill off does for friends wanting deer meat. She hasn't killed any does there yet as the does are late breed and the fawns were young. She wanted to give them some time to grow before dropping momma. I told her she's going to be helping the herd over there killing does over there. Lots of white oaks and old forest. I told her I'd hunt that and wait for the fawns to get bigger and look for cruising bucks over there.

She just spent a bunch of money on a Diamond Carbon Knockout and was excited as it is her first kill with it. She wanted the Eva Shockey bow but determined it came with nothing, cost more and was essentially the same bow. Maybe she does listen, when I'm not aware.
Archeryrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 08:20 AM #172

That is awesome! I have a daughter that want to eventually introduce to hunting as well. She is almost 4 but been thinking a lot about how to get her into the fold of hunting if she chooses so when the time is right.
Old October 12th, 2019, 09:54 AM #173

Thats a great picture! my daughters never became completely immersed in bow hunting like I would have liked them too. I just showed the youngest the picture of your girl and she said "Oh that's cool!"
Sounds like you and your buddy have a solid plan for keeping the bucks nearby, it'll pay off for sure.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 02:37 PM #174

Whacked this lady this morning. First time I’ve ever walked into the woods with a bow. Still don’t care for archery but is has proven to work for me. She ran 20 yards and dropped. Never moved again.
Attached Images

BossmanPJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 10:16 PM #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossmanPJ View Post
Whacked this lady this morning. First time Iíve ever walked into the woods with a bow. Still donít care for archery but is has proven to work for me. She ran 20 yards and dropped. Never moved again.
Thatís kind of how I feel about it.

But, I can hunt my property with one and the neighbors probably wouldnít be happy with me Gun hunting on it (neither would I). Also 5 months to hunt versus about 5 total weeks worth combine for ML and gun.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 12:41 PM #176
JMB fan club

JMB fan club

Iím finally on the board! Iím glad I recovered this one. After I shot it I realized my red dot was loose.
Attached Images

engineerbrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 05:18 PM #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Thatís kind of how I feel about it.

But, I can hunt my property with one and the neighbors probably wouldnít be happy with me Gun hunting on it (neither would I). Also 5 months to hunt versus about 5 total weeks worth combine for ML and gun.
I am trying it because a good friend bought a new crossbow. He brought his old Barnett Jackyl over to me and demanded I try it. Completely set up with broad heads in the quiver and a few practice arrows. I tried it. Killed a deer with it. Think Iíll try it again to extend my season.

Iím still a firearm guy though. Just donít care for bows.
BossmanPJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 09:02 PM #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerbrian View Post
Iím finally on the board! Iím glad I recovered this one. After I shot it I realized my red dot was loose.
Right before I shot my first doe this season I noticed my scope was loose. I tightened it, but that ďoh crap, is it zeroed right?Ē It was. Also you look so much like my cousin.
Old October 13th, 2019, 09:08 PM #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossmanPJ View Post
I am trying it because a good friend bought a new crossbow. He brought his old Barnett Jackyl over to me and demanded I try it. Completely set up with broad heads in the quiver and a few practice arrows. I tried it. Killed a deer with it. Think Iíll try it again to extend my season.

Iím still a firearm guy though. Just donít care for bows.
I love practicing with a recurve bow. But not much of a bow hunter. And I suspect for a very long time to come thatís how most of my deer are going to get killed that way. So need to invest more time, energy and money in to it.

I donít regret getting my basic Barnett crossbow. Hasnít screwed the pooch yet. At the same time, something a bit lighter, slightly more compact limbs and another 40-80FPS wouldn't be bad...

Zeroed my ML in today. Switched from 240gr .44 XTP w/ 100gr BH209 to 300gr .44 XTP. Noticeably heavier recoil. Most accurate load was 103gr of BH209 measured volumetrically. Slightly more accurate than the 240gr were and should have a lot more down range smack to them. Iíd tried upping to 110gr and the groups were having fliers so I backed it to 103 and the fliers disappeared.

3 more days and a night and ML season starts!
Old October 14th, 2019, 09:21 AM #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdv View Post
Looks like you killed this deer on a boat ramp.

Ha! That's funny. I killed her on the edge of a corn field. She then ran through the woodline and expired on a recently cleared farm field. It hasn't rained in so long that the soil looks and feels like concrete.

Question: I notice most of these pictures are of does. Now that I've got a doe in the bag, I'll be moving on to being patient for a buck. Has anyone noticed daytime buck activity picking up recently? For those of you who hunt muzzle loader every year, do you typically get a buck in the morning or evening? I have Th-Sat set aside for hunting...I am planning to duck hunt in the morning and deer hunt in the evening. These surf and turf days are my favorite few days of the year! But this year I'm really interested in getting my first mature buck. Do you think I'm missing out on major opportunities by skipping the morning hunts? I'll hunt all day next moth during the rut, so I figured this is my chance to get out for ducks in the morning. Any thoughts welcome!
Derwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports