• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    All -

concurrent with my youngest developing an interest in 3P Smallbore and International Air Rifle, I started down the path of putting together what I need to shoot service rifle matches.

Since resources are limited and I placed my daughter's needs in front of mine, I'm slowly getting what I need in place to start practicing. I have my lower and a White Oak Upper, just got a Giessele Service Rifle Trigger and now need ammo.

Eventually, I will load my own - but until I get the dies and components together, I'd welcome suggestions on production ammo I can start practicing with.

The upper is chambered for 223 Wylde and has a 1 in 7 twist rate.

Thanks in advance -

[MODS - if better located in another sub-forum, please relocate. This seemed a reasonable starting point though not specifically about a match]

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    CMP refurb air rifle? Very affordable and yet very accurate. Plus cheap practice and easy trigger time to practice the positions.

A White Oak match upper will likely be heavy for anyone not an adult.

If you are commited to the white oak id still look at cmp for match ammo. Or roll your own but depending on the size of your daughter I would be concerned about weight of the White Oak.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    77gr Blackhills ammo would be my first suggestion, are you shooting 600 yards or short range 200/300 yards rapid fire?

The 80gr SMKs will help at 600 yards, but not sure anyone has factory loads for those yet. 80gr won't mag feed though, so a lot of guys shoot 77gr in rapid fire <300 and 80gr at 600 yards.

When you roll your own, lots of guys use reloader 15, 8208, accurate 2520 (deemed camp Perry powder) and varget.

Good luck, if you want me to help develop a load, let me know. I can crank a few hundred out for you so you can shoot a few matches before you get your dies.

August 21st is the next Cumberland shoot, you are welcome to hitch a ride with me. Lots of service rifle guys up there to help you, sorry I've never shot it,not sure I can help much.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    CMP refurb air rifle? Very affordable and yet very accurate. Plus cheap practice and easy trigger time to practice the positions.

A White Oak match upper will likely be heavy for anyone not an adult.

If you are commited to the white oak id still look at cmp for match ammo. Or roll your own but depending on the size of your daughter I would be concerned about weight of the White Oak.

the WOA upper and SR matches are for me; not my daughter. My getting started has been delayed by the investment needed for her ANS 1903, FWB 2700 light and in a month, an air rifle upgrade to a FWB 800 series rifle.

Thanks for the suggestion to look at CMP for ammo. Didn't realize that they sold ammo too

77gr Blackhills ammo would be my first suggestion, are you shooting 600 yards or short range 200/300 yards rapid fire?

The 80gr SMKs will help at 600 yards, but not sure anyone has factory loads for those yet. 80gr won't mag feed though, so a lot of guys shoot 77gr in rapid fire <300 and 80gr at 600 yards.

When you roll your own, lots of guys use reloader 15, 8208, accurate 2520 (deemed camp Perry powder) and varget.

Good luck, if you want me to help develop a load, let me know. I can crank a few hundred out for you so you can shoot a few matches before you get your dies.

August 21st is the next Cumberland shoot, you are welcome to hitch a ride with me. Lots of service rifle guys up there to help you, sorry I've never shot it,not sure I can help much.

I'll start looking for BH. Since i've not shot a match yet, don't know if it will be a 600 match or a 200/300 match. Great thing to think thru.

I'll look at 21 August and see if i can make the schedule work. IIRC I think i'm traveling that week so I may be out of town.

Appreciate the offer to assist with load development and the suggestions for powder.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Another option if just getting started is to attend a M1 or other cmp type match. Pay the entry fee and shoot with them. Most places will let you and get the feeling of competiton you wont be ranked but competition is about improving. I shot an M1 match and there were several running AR in a leg just for practice.

CMP sells a variety of ammo from normal practice ammo to match ammo in several different calibers.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    77gr. bullets will work all the way out to 600yds, you will need about 1/2 min more elevation than an 80gr. bullet. I would start with those since they will work at 200 and 300 as well. Best to keep it simple as possible when starting out. Black Hills, Creedmoor and Federal all have 77gr. factory loads.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    77gr. bullets will work all the way out to 600yds, you will need about 1/2 min more elevation than an 80gr. bullet. I would start with those since they will work at 200 and 300 as well. Best to keep it simple as possible when starting out. Black Hills, Creedmoor and Federal all have 77gr. factory loads.

Thank you! I'll add them to the shopping list.

---
    Shamr0ck

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    77 blackhills is fine for 200/300

You really need the 80s for 600, especially if there is any wind involved.

Hard to find those commercially, I think Sinclair or champion may sell them. I see them at camp perry.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    77 blackhills is fine for 200/300

You really need the 80s for 600, especially if there is any wind involved.

Hard to find those commercially, I think Sinclair or champion may sell them. I see them at camp perry.

Last year my father shot a 583 with 75gr pills in fclass, it can be done but 80gr give you a better advantage for sure.

If there is factory 80gr, I would grab those for sure.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I was scoring for one of the Marine Corp team shooters at Perry and she only dropped 1 point at the 600yd line. They were using 77's and she knew when she shot the 9 that was just barely outside the 10 ring at 11 O'clock. For someone who is not handloading, 77's will work just fine. It is more important to learn to read the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom