Disapproved for "any location within state" travel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Apologies if this has been posted before; my search fu turned up nothing relevant.

Last March, I filed 5320.20 forms for my NFA firearms to the NRA Range and "; any locations within state" for a year period. They were approved, and I could cross into VA at whim with them (the fact that I didn't do so is another story).

This February, I decided to renew those forms. Filed on 2/21, today I received disapprovals (dated 3/24) stating that "If you intend on transporting your NFA items to multiple locations within state, you will need to submit a 5320.20 for EACH location you want to transport the Firearms." (emphasis in original)

Has anyone experienced this? Has the policy changed? Am I perhaps dealing with an inexperienced examiner (Damon Wright)? Thanks in advance...

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    This is the norm, your first approval was a stroke of luck! They usually want you to specify the location and not use any broad locations. I have seen others get lucky too, just a matter of who's reviewing I guess.....

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Apologies if this has been posted before; my search fu turned up nothing relevant.

Last March, I filed 5320.20 forms for my NFA firearms to the NRA Range and "; any locations within state" for a year period. They were approved, and I could cross into VA at whim with them (the fact that I didn't do so is another story).

This February, I decided to renew those forms. Filed on 2/21, today I received disapprovals (dated 3/24) stating that "If you intend on transporting your NFA items to multiple locations within state, you will need to submit a 5320.20 for EACH location you want to transport the Firearms." (emphasis in original)

Has anyone experienced this? Has the policy changed? Am I perhaps dealing with an inexperienced examiner (Damon Wright)? Thanks in advance...

I've always had to give a specific address. You were very lucky to get your approval last year without that information.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    This is the norm, your first approval was a stroke of luck! They usually want you to specify the location and not use any broad locations. I have seen others get lucky too, just a matter of who's reviewing I guess.....

I'd used the address of the NRA Range, so:

"11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22036; any locations within state"

I'd gotten the idea from a thread here last year.

Does that help clarify?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I'd used the address of the NRA Range, so:

"11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22036; any locations within state"

I'd gotten the idea from a thread here last year.

Does that help clarify?

Yes I'm clear, but the broad location I was referring to was "any location within state"

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Gotcha. Thanks. I just thought I'd been unclear. I appreciate the thoughts. Even more than the stamp and the delay, I despise the restriction on travel...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Gotcha. Thanks. I just thought I'd been unclear. I appreciate the thoughts. Even more than the stamp and the delay, I despise the restriction on travel...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    One of the reasons we build pistols... :lol2:

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    This is a bit of pet peeve of mine. The Fed can't regulate intrastate travel, only interstate travel. So transportation of a NFA item can be regulated but I see no statue or case law that supports the ability of the NFA to regulate the movement of an NFA item after it has crossed state lines and arrived at the location stated on the 5320.20.

Let's take the case of a trust where one member lives in VA and another in MD. The trust states the NFA item is principally domiciled in MD. I can take the NFA item anywhere in the state of MD. The NFA can't regulate that movement. I then file a 5320.20 to domicile the item in VA. Now I can move the item freely throughout VA without NFA permission. The only difference is temporary and a permanent change in the storage location of the NFA item. How does the duration of the change of domicile change the ability of the NFA to regulate intrastate movement? No one at the NFA can satisfactorily answer that question.

Lastly, has anyone been asked to show a 5320.20 when moving an NFA item? I have shot my sbrsb& MG at several locations and have never been asked to show proof I can own or transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom