Whats your OPTIC of choice for 1st AR15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Watkins87

Jun 4, 2012
    Fort Washington, MD.
    I just shot my DDM4 that Ive had for about almost a month for the first time at MSAR and loved it. Noticed a bit of smoke from the upper receiver, I figured it was from the oil that was used during cleaning, and THE IRON SIGHTS......Iron Sights are dependable (FOR CRC or even mid range) but my eyesight at 40 yards not as good or I need a better, bigger target. But this is also where Optics play their parts....

so for all of you MDShooters who have already been there and done it, **What is the best choice of Optics and why?** (Just getting familiar with Optics in real life instead of school, books, and Battlefield3 :D

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    Of choice? Which choice (based on $ or based on quality)? :)

For the $ choice, the bushnell TRS-25/Vortex or scope from Mueller/Millet/Nikon

For the quality choice, Aimpoint/Trijicon or scope from US Optics/Nightforce

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    I use an EOTech XPS2-2 and Nikon P223 3x BDC Carbine on my AR's. The Nikon was the best quality for the lowest price compared to most other scopes.

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Aimpoint PRO
    Aimpoint Micro H1/T1

Magnification:
    Trijicon ACOG (your choice)
    SWFA 1-4
    Vortex 1-4
    There are a ton of 1-4 or 1-6 variable optics available

On the budget:
    Bushnell TRS-25
    Vortex Strikefire

I've got the TRS25, and while I like it, I wouldn't bet my life on it or any budget optic. For non-magnified on a budget is the Aimpoint PRO red dot. Can be had for <$400.

335xi

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm in the same situation as you. Just got a carbon 15 with bushnell trs-25 red dot scope. Haven't used the scope yet, but I hear you can get decent groupings at 100 yds with it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    One of the most expensive mistakes you can make is buying Chinese optics for a high-quality rifle. Before long, you'll have a box of enough Chinese optics that were "such a great deal" to pay for a Trijicon USMC ACOG.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I've got an Aimpoint comp M2 that has been outstanding for the past 10 years or so that I've had it. The only downside is shooting past 100 yards. I would prefer an Acog or other high quality optic for that or a magnifier. I've got a Primary Arms 1x4 scope on my dedicated 22 upper and its ok for the money, but I certainly wouldn't stake my life on it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IMHO, the OP has a few different options here:
    1. Reflex sight plus flip-to-side magnifier
    2. Fixed magnification
    3. Variable magnification

I think the OP might be happiest with the Primary Arms 3x, which I believe is getting restocked next week/

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm with Boom Boom. I use the Eotech EXPS 3.0 (NV, quick disconnect and 7mm riser). Quick target acquisition and wide field of view with both eyes open are the main advantages to me. I added an Eotech G33 3x magnifier to add some distance capability. Easily moved out of the way when not needed. I have this setup on all 3 of my AR's just to have uniformity in shooting.

Attachments

• DDM4 3x magnifier.jpg
      DDM4 3x magnifier.jpg
      61.7 KB · Views: 931
    • SDC10062.jpg
      SDC10062.jpg
      56 KB · Views: 924

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    One of the most expensive mistakes you can make is buying Chinese optics for a high-quality rifle. Before long, you'll have a box of enough Chinese optics that were "such a great deal" to pay for a Trijicon USMC ACOG.

Good advice. I have a friend that has a drawer full of "good deals". He finally learned to buy quality the first time out, it saves money in the long run.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Started with EOTechs, definitely a solid choice. Currently running an Aimpoint PRO, seems to be solid as well.

OP, in the red dot's - you CAN get a good optic for less than an EO or Aimpoint, but if your looking for something that's known to take abuse and still perform. Go with those 2 brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom