• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    That's a terrible design! 95 bucks every 50 rounds?

95 bucks IF they have them to replace your shot out ones with!!

I knew it going into it that the wipes had to be replaced.

What I didn't know is that it's not a DIY job anymore, thanks to those fine folks at the ATF (massive sarcasm)

The suppressor is a copy of ones they made to put in pilots kit bags in case they ever had to eject out over hostile territory.

It's a neat little rig, so light it doesn't need a Neilson device and reduces sound signature as good as large suppressors, although for a limited number of shots.

Gemtech said they never anticipated the demand for them, they were sold out from Silencer Shop in less than a day, so they didn't order extra wipes to be manufactured. Which to me is bull$hit. How the hell can you offer up a product that needs to be serviced and not offer those services?

Like I said, I wish I had gotten a TiRant at the same time as this one. This could be a cool novelty but the TiRant would be getting used more often.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Wow. Didn't know that. You could probably put poly-coated bullets through it instead of FMJs if you're a reloader.

I've got some 160gr Bayou Bullets that I'll load up for this. I'll wait till I can hit up a gun show and hopefully find some factory 158 or 160gr bullets for the house. I looked at some from Freedom Munitions ans shipping wold cost as much as a box of 50 rounds.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Tomkat sells 158 PC reloads. They shoot pretty good.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    95 bucks IF they have them to replace your shot out ones with!!

I knew it going into it that the wipes had to be replaced.

What I didn't know is that it's not a DIY job anymore, thanks to those fine folks at the ATF (massive sarcasm)

The suppressor is a copy of ones they made to put in pilots kit bags in case they ever had to eject out over hostile territory.

It's a neat little rig, so light it doesn't need a Neilson device and reduces sound signature as good as large suppressors, although for a limited number of shots.

Can you pull the wipes out and measure? The guys who have Dead Air Ghosts found these on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1IUICA?tag=viglink20251-20

I would roll my own wipes!

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Can you pull the wipes out and measure? The guys who have Dead Air Ghosts found these on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1IUICA?tag=viglink20251-20

I would roll my own wipes!

"The ATF’s new position is expected to have a significant impact on the rest of the industry. Wiped cans aren’t exactly common these days, but there are plenty of older designs out there that use them. Just last week, I reviewed Gemtech’s Aurora, which is an ultra-compact 9mm silencer that relies entirely on wipes for suppression. Gemtech has a revised version of the Aurora just around the corner and this would certainly prevent them from selling wipes separately (although that wasn’t the plan anyway). From Dead Air’s perspective, the Ghost’s ability to use wipes was a significant competitive advantage over other options."

https://modernrifleman.net/2017/03/20/atf-reverses-position-on-silencer-wipes/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Shnit! They're saying 8-12 rounds before it becomes "uncomfortable" to shoot. Gotta be a better way.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Shnit! They're saying 8-12 rounds before it becomes "uncomfortable" to shoot. Gotta be a better way.

That's what Silencer Shop is saying. Gemtech says you can get about 50 rounds through it before that.

With the way it's going, I'll never make it to 50 rounds!!!! :lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would but according to the guy at Gem-Tech, it has to be an 07 that does the actual replacing of them.

Didn't say anything about an 07 doing the maintenance work/replacement of the wipes in the PDF

From Jeremy M. from Silence Shop taken off "Texas Gun Talk"

You can create new wipes but you can't purchase new wipes.

As per the PDF, they recommend recharging using either Vaseline or Mobile 1 grease in that order of preference. You can make your own wipes. No hint of where to find the proper urethane material though.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Didn't say anything about an 07 doing the maintenance work/replacement of the wipes in the PDF

From Jeremy M. from Silence Shop taken off "Texas Gun Talk"

As per the PDF, they recommend recharging using either Vaseline or Mobile 1 grease in that order of preference. You can make your own wipes. No hint of where to find the proper urethane material though.

I'll check all that out tomorrow, that would be great if I can legally make my own.

I found some ideas for the material on UZI Talk, a forum I found in a search engine. A couple guys had all the part numbers and stuff for the material listed right there on the site. Those entries were more than several years ago when it wasn't an issue.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    DBFoam just hit the market:
    http://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Suppressors/dBFoam.html
    https://www.ammoland.com/2017/04/db-foam-reduces-suppressor-noise-ten-decibels/#axzz4ehJnxIPU

Its a new product designed as a "wet" option for your suppressor... aka why spray cheap water in your can when you can spend $20 for a can of this stuff! All kidding aside, might be an option for you. Or it could be snake oil.

Anyone willing to try it and report back?

It looks kind of interesting. I'm not thrilled with the extra puffs of smoke with it though. If it does help in cleaning them, that would almost be worth giving it a try.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Inkd I'd probably never shoot that thing. My guess is it's gonna be worth coin later as a collectible

It will probably go right back in the box.

I'll use the .45 TiRant for the house and put an order in for a 9mm shortly.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Took this selfie of myself this morning

Attachments

• IMG_8225.JPG
      IMG_8225.JPG
      35.6 KB · Views: 609

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts