• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So, I've been banking with Damascus Community Bank for the past five years. I like to bank local and small. I'm of the opinion that when a bank goes public shareholder-wise (ie, publicly traded) that the focus then becomes price per share and not "how should we do business responsibly."

Well, a few months back, DCB notified its customers that they were in the regulatory process of "merging" with Old Line Bank and that the DCB name would cease to exist with all DCBs becoming Old Line Banks for the low low price of 11.9 Million in OLB common stock shares going to the private shareholders of DCB as compensation for their cooperation. OLB is publicly traded so that leaves me with a conundrum. Do I stick with them and see how it goes, or find another bank or credit union to join.

So, anyone here use Old Line? Barring that, anyone use Mid-Atlantic FCU, Educational Systems FCU, or SECU? How would you rate them?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My wife is a mortgage lending supervisor for SECU. Her side of the business is booming. I don't hear too many customer service issues like there were when she was at MECU in the city.
    I don't know about the front end banking portion of SECU. I'm sure they have their good and bad days.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, use Old Line.

It's a bank. Our dealings have been unremarkable, other than one of the key people at our local branch has been a family friend going back to having worked with Mrs Biggfoot before I ever met her.

Looked at another way, they haven't seriously ticked me off in over 20 years, and I'm pretty thin skinned at getting pissed off by banks, so I guess that's an endorsement.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    Yes, we do. If you're seasoned citizens like us, checking accounts are free, with no minimum balance required, and no limit on # of checks per month. We just pay for checks. ATM card doubles as debit card if you use that. Savings account needs a minimum balance or there's a fee. On-line banking is easy.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    DCB is free checking, no limit to checks written per month, just order what you need from harland-clarke and they deduct it from your checking account balance. Minimum balance for savings accounts (I think there's a legal reason for this?) Chipped debit/check cards. I really liked being able to go in and apply with someone I knew for a line of credit, home equity loan, car loan, whatever. I know Old Line isn't a huge bank like PNC or BB&Fee, so I hope they keep the local feel. Maybe we'll give them a chance. If they don't earn our business (basically, don't screw us over with fees) we'll head to a FCU.

Thanks for the info everyone! I appreciate it!

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I use Old Line Bank for my mortgage. Only complaint is that I can't pay my mortgage online (unless its being paid from an Old Line banking account which I don't have). Otherwise they have been very friendly and helpful.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I have been a customer of SECU for 39 years. Lately they converted to remote tellers, I hate it. Years ago I would see the same tellers and get to know them and vice versa. No more! I really miss the interaction.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom