• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I've built up several arrows and once I switched to Isopropyl alcohol (91%) I've had very little trouble getting the vanes to adhere. Just this past week I was finishing up a couple and the glue wouldn't cure. Did the glue go bad?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Maybe, if it was old. Are you fletching(as in traditional) or vaning? If vaning, why not try those 'quick vanes' that you dip into boiling water and they shrink to the shaft. They work great, I've been using them for years(since they first came out). They tend to be more durable than individually glued vanes.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Maybe, if it was old. Are you fletching(as in traditional) or vaning? If vaning, why not try those 'quick vanes' that you dip into boiling water and they shrink to the shaft. They work great, I've been using them for years(since they first came out). They tend to be more durable than individually glued vanes.

I have done both ways traditional vanes and the quick fletch and for the time and effort saved the quick fletch are the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Most fletching adhesives today are cyanoacrylate based (super glue). They do go bad in time. You can extend the life by storing it in the fridge. ;)

DrSeuss

Mar 28, 2013
    I must of had a bad batch with the quick vanes. They look great but I keep on losing vanes in flight. I'll be walking to the target and I'll find a vane and sure enough one of my arrows is missing a vane. Eventually all the arrows that I refletched with the quick vanes all failed and I replaced them with normal blazers.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Your talking about the ones that are heat shrinks onto the shafts? I have luckily never had that happen arrows I am curt shooting have had those fletchings on for two seasons

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I use loc Tite gel super glue with blazer vanes and an Arizona ez Fletcher. It fast all 3 vanes at once and they stay put even after passing through a deer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have had fletching fall off brand new arrows back in the olden days from bad glue. It happens.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'm still in the olden days.. I fletch on a Bitz, one at a time, use decent glue and rarely have any issues. I shoot field archery and we often aim for the hooter (the arrow in the middle of the X) so if you shoot the hooter, you can expect a busted pin nock, or a pierced vane. I have a few arrows in my quiver right now that I super-glued the vane back together to 'patch' the hole in em... :lol2:

4 archers that shoot well can pile all 16 arrows in the X. Someone's gonna get busted up, it's almost a guarantee, especially on the mid-range targets.. ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm still in the olden days.. I fletch on a Bitz, one at a time, use decent glue and rarely have any issues. I shoot field archery and we often aim for the hooter (the arrow in the middle of the X) so if you shoot the hooter, you can expect a busted pin nock, or a pierced vane. I have a few arrows in my quiver right now that I super-glued the vane back together to 'patch' the hole in em... :lol2:

4 archers that shoot well can pile all 16 arrows in the X. Someone's gonna get busted up, it's almost a guarantee, especially on the mid-range targets.. ;)

That's why I shoot at separate spots on my targets in my back yard. Too expensive. When I go to Neadwood where they have 40-70 yard ranges, I shoot at one spot, 2''x 2''. I rarely kill arrows doing that.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    That's why I shoot at separate spots on my targets in my back yard. Too expensive. When I go to Neadwood where they have 40-70 yard ranges, I shoot at one spot, 2''x 2''. I rarely kill arrows doing that.
    I do the same when I am practicing at home, but in competition, that ain't an option... you gotta suck it up and pay the price of shooting well on occasion. We shoot 4 arrows each (4 archers in the rotation) at the same spot on many of the targets, so... that's life. :lol2:

Attachments

• IMG_9526 (800x721).jpg
      IMG_9526 (800x721).jpg
      55.2 KB · Views: 143

DrSeuss

Mar 28, 2013
    Your talking about the ones that are heat shrinks onto the shafts? I have luckily never had that happen arrows I am curt shooting have had those fletchings on for two seasons

Yup the heat shrink ones. I bought a pack at Dick's. The looked great, much better than my gluey mess. I was pretty disappointed when I started losing vanes.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Thanks for the input. I think I have found my issue. I hadn't shaken up the alcohol bottle in a while. Gave it a shake, a good shake and applied alcohol to both surfaces, applied glue and vane to shaft. GTG, no longer an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom