• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    I'm looking to add a lever gun to the collection, I am leaning toward the Henry golden boy in 17hmr. Does anyone have one, if so what's your opinion? Anyone heard of any issues with this cal, or have an educated opinion on it?

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    My buddy has a Golden Boy in 17 and he loves it. Actually his wife shoots it more than he does.
    I have a Golden Boy in 22 mag. Smooth action. Pretty rifle. I couldn't tell you how it shoots though. I have had it for at least seven years and it is still new in the box.

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I'm pulling trigger on an Evil Roy, eventually..

My SIL has a 357 Golden Boy rifle, it is awesome.

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    My buddy has a Golden Boy in 17 and he loves it. Actually his wife shoots it more than he does.
    I have a Golden Boy in 22 mag. Smooth action. Pretty rifle. I couldn't tell you haw it shoots though. I have had it for at least seven years and it is still new in the box.

Wanna sell?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I was thinking long and hard about this one when CDNN had it onsale for $499.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/henry-silver-eagle-17hmr-engraved.html

As much as I love lever gun, I go back and forth on whether I want one in .17 HMR. .17HMR is one of my favorite shooting calibers but it seems like an odd fit for a lever gun. There was also the issue of in magazine discharges that was a concern a couple years ago, I wonder if the owners manual specifies polymer tipped HMR only.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Previously owned one. Ended up selling. The Golden Boy is a great platform, but I did not appreciate the .17 HMR as a lever gun cartridge. It feels a lot more like a bolt gun choice.

I would suggest the Golden Boy in .22LR or .22 Mag.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    No .17 golden boy, but I do have 2 Big Boys. One in .357 and the other in .45lc. Love both of them. Very smooth and feel like tanks. I hear the golden boy rifles are basically the same but a little lighter and slimmer. I will be adding a golden boy .22 to my collection before it is all over.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The only issue is what * You * think of having .17HMR in a levergun. On the face of it, doesn't seem like an intuitive combination. ( ie the reason d' etre for the .17HMR is extreme range, and in a levergun the pure accuraccy will probably be limiting factor before the trajectory becomes major factor.)

But everybody doesn't have to always follow the generally accepted logic. I once knew someone who thought his BLR in .22-250 was the greatest thing since canned beer.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    17HMR is nice for the long, flat trajectory if that's what you're looking for. The hollow-point options work really well on varmints. Not the best choice for range-only use since it's way more expensive to shoot in volume than 22LR. It's *way* louder than 22LR if that's of concern to you. An important issue to be aware of is the tendency to rupture shell casings if the chamber isn't tight. I'm not aware of serious kabooms but I got out of 17HMR years ago and sold off my guns chambered in it because about 50% of the shell casings ruptured, sometimes badly.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Own one and really enjoy shooting it. Fun little gun and a good varmit round.
    Have not had any problems out of it at all. I would say "Get one"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom