• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am steadily moving towards my first AR pistol. The lower is built and I need an upper. I really have no clue what to do. .300 blackout in 7.5-8.5" seems the way to go for inexpensive upper that delivers a wallop. No steel cased ammo and most is 55+ cents a round for cheap ammo.

9mm would be a fair amount more expensive, especially when you add in a magwell adapter. Not nearly the wallop .300 blackout has, but ammo can be 10 cents a round or less for cheap steel cased 9mm.

It occurred to me today, 7.62x39mm? I briefly looked and found a couple sub $300 for complete uppers or "build your own" upper. But how is 7.62x39mm in both reliability and fireballs for a pistol length barrel. Looking at 7-9". I assume pretty bad, which is part of why I am staying away from a 5.56 pistol upper. Cheap to feed.

I don't just want an obnoxiously fun range toy, but something I could legit use as a PDW and preferably withou deafening myself. I know ANYTHING used indoors without a supressor is going to cause some serious ear ringing or temporary deafness. But I'd prefer to keep it a bit more manageable.

Thoughts? A little of me is leaning towards 7.62x39 now, but I am worried about reliability as well is it tossing beach balls of flame.

Anyone have thoughts between all 3?

It would be easier if someone made steel cased .300 blackout closer to 20-30 cents a round.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    7.62x39 does not run reliably in an AR platform. I'd just go 5.56...., the ammo is plentiful and not too expensive anymore. If you get the 7.62/39 you'll be pulling your hair out.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    7.62x39 does not run reliably in an AR platform. I'd just go 5.56...., the ammo is plentiful and not too expensive anymore. If you get the 7.62/39 you'll be pulling your hair out.

None of this is true. I have a 7.62x39 sbr with a 7" barrel that has never had an issue. Any rifle can have issues if the user doesn't build it right.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I'll buy all the .10/rd 9mm that you can find. Cheap 9mm is closer to .20/rd. Aluminum can be a little cheaper but I've had nothing but problems with it.

As for the upper, if you already have a rifle in 5.56 then try a 9mm. Yes it costs more but it is cheaper to shoot and tons of fun.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I shoot a lot of Freedom Munitions 300BLK. Their FMJ 147gr/150gr is plenty hot. I got it for ~¢39/round prior to the election. And as stated above, 9mm is closer to ¢20/round. I have a 300BLK pistol with a 10.5" barrel. Wouldn't do it differently a second time.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a 300 pistol and a 9mm pistol, depends on your final use? PDW, 300 has a more azz to it but 9mm is adequate for sure.

For range use, you can stretch a supersonic 300 further than a 9mm, hands down. 300 subs(guessing) is close to 9mm ballistics.

I would say 300, gives you more flexibility and distance, downside is cost to shoot.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    None of this is true. I have a 7.62x39 sbr with a 7" barrel that has never had an issue. Any rifle can have issues if the user doesn't build it right.

I'd be interested to hear about your setup for 7.62x39....what mags do you use, lower...did you build it?

I wouldn't mind having one, but I've always stayed away from them because I've seen other guys setups not run well.

Pete

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Depends on what you plan to shoot(at) with it. What are your future plans for this gun? If it is just going to be a plinker, you'd be foolish to go anywhere than 9mm. Though, a bigger cost will be the mags and not a mag block. You can put a 5'' barrel on it and it will operate just fine.

7.62 short? Nah...

300 AAC would be my second choice. All parts are cheap and plentiful. Even barrels and or complete uppers. Ammo? Time to start reloading.

There's my two pennies worth. :)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    For the fun factor and PDW, I'd go with the 9mm. It can be shot at all gun ranges, and will be the least expensive to shoot. It would be your choice of barrel lengths. Anything from 4.5 to 10.5 inches and all will work fine with the blowback design. Shoot 147 gr through it and they'll be subsonic, I believe even out of a 4.5 inch barrel. No huge ball of flame to worry about if it's ever used in a home defense scenario.

What more could you ask for?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For 9mm, what do I need? Mag block for standard AR lower, complex upper, 9mm BCG and bolt and 9mm buffer?

I hadn't checked freedom. Those remanufactured rounds are pretty inexpensive. Not 9mm cheap (also yeah, I had looked at the price of 9mm wrong, it was 9.95 for 50rnds of fiocci I I saw). Looks like their current price is ~47c a round for reman.

I still really want someone to come out with steel case to go even cheaper.

Yes I'll probably reload .300 blackout some day.

Maybe what I need to do is figure this will be my first AR pistol, build it in .300 blackout and then just build a 9mm AR pistol down the road for even cheaper plinking.

I guess part of me still keeps thinking for a 9mm I need to track down a glock lower for cheaper mags that can, you know, be used in a glock.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, crazy off the wall idea. 6.5 Grendel pistol? I guessing same fireball issues 5.56 has, which would be a turn off. Just thinking there is steel cased ammo now and I'd would likely have a fair amount more striking power than 5.56, if not as much as .300 out of an 8" barrel.

I really do want to keep it around 8" for as compact an AR pistol as I can.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    That's pretty much it for a 9mm upper. JSE surplus has a bunch of options, so does kaw valley. Most mag blocks use colt pattern mags, which will work in combination with any 9mm bolt. I bought one on sale last year for $30. Glock pattern seems to require a special bolt. The PSA stuff is proprietary, so I won't go there.

Cheapest uppers I'm seeing are right around $500.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Like you, I wanted to build a 9mm AR. You're going to spend at least $600 for a build, and there's a very high probability of having cycling issues. If you buy a pre built one, it will be more reliable and much more expensive. For the money, the Kel-tec S2K can't be beat. They're kind of hard to find, but it cheaper and more reliable than any 9mm AR.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Like you, I wanted to build a 9mm AR. You're going to spend at least $600 for a build, and there's a very high probability of having cycling issues. If you buy a pre built one, it will be more reliable and much more expensive. For the money, the Kel-tec S2K can't be beat. They're kind of hard to find, but it cheaper and more reliable than any 9mm AR.

Why do you say that? I've got 9mm AR15 pistols and carbines and they run just fine. My carbine ran fine right out of the box. It's just like any firearm, if you build it with the right quality parts, it will run fine.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why do you say that? I've got 9mm AR15 pistols and carbines and they run just fine. My carbine ran fine right out of the box. It's just like any firearm, if you build it with the right quality parts, it will run fine.

^^^This

Just study up on 9mm ARs and have at it. Go to the SOTAR sub and find Chad's recommend parts list for 9 mm ARs. It was a big help for me.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205