• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Yeah, it only two 3 tries to make it almost as good as the FN FAL.

If I could only have one rifle, I think the FN FAL would be, if not the top, real close to the top.

The FN FAL and the H&K G3 both beat the M14 in testing. The M14 only was adopted because
    1. The M14 was an American design
    2. The Army claimed it could be built with a minimal cash outlay using M1 Garand tooling (which was a huge lie)

The M14 fell far short of its peers in its day and in the present day comes in 11th in a 9 person race.

Anyone ever notice how the FAL was adopted by damn near every NATO and democratic country and the M14 was only adopted by us and then shoved into storage?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I just ETSed in June. I've been here for a good number of years, and I am still occasionally confused by Maryland gun laws. All AK47s are banned except AK pistols oh andby the way, SBRs count as pistols here but have to be more than 29" in overall length. . . Huh? Good luck, and try not to get stuck here.

At any rate, I believe the only way you can legally purchase an M1A (a fine rifle, as are many other firearms suggested in this thread) is in your home state. And you really should just leave it with friends or family outside of Maryland.

In closing, there are good Maryland-legal alternatives if you must have something. I'm collecting the pieces for a large frame AR build in .308 right now. If modern battle rifles aren't your thing, a vepr in .308 is also affordable, and has a bit more soul.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=169567

Gain some knowledge. The AR is the better rifle. If you have a small dick and want .30 cal buy an AR-10.

What? Wait...that's just a guideline, not actually in the law, right? (FSA 2013 is so confusing!) I mean, what if someone with a small dick doesn't want .30 cal? I'm still allowed to enjoy 5.56, like everyone else, right? Asking for a friend...:innocent0

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    What? Wait...that's just a guideline, not actually in the law, right? (FSA 2013 is so confusing!) I mean, what if someone with a small dick doesn't want .30 cal? I'm still allowed to enjoy 5.56, like everyone else, right? Asking for a friend...:innocent0

:lol: well played sir, well played.:clap:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Ok since we can't buy any of the 3 rifles M1A, FAL, G3/91. What are some other options for a semi 7.62? I see the VEPR, SCAR, AR10 variants, and what else? I'd like a beater semi .30 cal to shoot up a bunch of milsurp 7.62 ammo I have.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Ok since we can't buy any of the 3 rifles M1A, FAL, G3/91. What are some other options for a semi 7.62? I see the VEPR, SCAR, AR10 variants, and what else? I'd like a beater semi .30 cal to shoot up a bunch of milsurp 7.62 ammo I have.

Century C308. Clone of the CETME 308. Best used with brass but it's rough on brass unless you do some modifications.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Century C308. Clone of the CETME 308. Best used with brass but it's rough on brass unless you do some modifications.

Yeah my brother in law has a PTR and it eats up the brass. It's the way the chamber is with the delayed roller blow back. I was thinking more gas or piston operated types of rifles.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Its my understanding that active military stationed to a post in Maryland can bring their ban in Maryland guns with them,As long as they are not going to stay permanently in Maryland.
    found that when reading the law before it went in to effect, Atlantic Guns had a copy for all to read ,I'm sure they still do,

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Its my understanding that active military stationed to a post in Maryland can bring their ban in Maryland guns with them,

That is incorrect.

Mere possession of a banned rifle within the state of Maryland is illegal and there is no exception in the law for active military or those with dual residency or anything to that effect.

Just for clarity's sake, here is the relevant part of the statute:

SB281 said:
    4–303.
    (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (1) transport an assault [pistol] WEAPON into the State; or
    (2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault WEAPON.

(b)
    (3)A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED; HAS A PURCHASE ORDER FOR, OR COMPLETED AN APPLICATION TO PURCHASE AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013,MAY:
    (I) CONTINUE TO POSSESS AND TRANSPORT THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON;

As you can see, the ONLY exception in the law was for people who lawfully possessed or had a purchase order for a banned "assault weapon" prior to October 1 2013.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The FN FAL and the H&K G3 both beat the M14 in testing. The M14 only was adopted because
    2. The Army claimed it could be built with a minimal cash outlay using M1 Garand tooling (which was a huge lie)

The M14 fell far short of its peers in its day and in the present day comes in 11th in a 9 person race.

Anyone ever notice how the FAL was adopted by damn near every NATO and democratic country and the M14 was only adopted by us and then shoved into storage?

The FAL was stretched to it's limits with the 7.62 NATO round. It has certainly had a long service life though! Personally, I would have chosen the G3. I think the board was prejudiced against the G3 because it was a German design and it was not all that long after WW2, so those wounds were still sore. The G3 was stupidly simple to manufacture and very accurate. BTW, the M14 has been rated as one of the top 10 combat rifles of all time. McNamara and his bean counters insured that the M16 became the standard U.S. rifle despite it's shortcomings.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

IIRC, the M14 actually beat the FAL at one test. That the Army decided was critical. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The FAL was stretched to it's limits with the 7.62 NATO round.

HUH???

Why do you say it was stretched to its limits for the 7.62x51 round??

The basic action design was the FN49, which was originally 7.92x57 Mauser.

It was also produced in .30-06, 7x57, 7.62x51, and 7.65x53 Argentine.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    HUH???

Why do you say it was stretched to its limits for the 7.62x51 round??

The basic action design was the FN49, which was originally 7.92x57 Mauser.

It was also produced in .30-06, 7x57, 7.62x51, and 7.65x53 Argentine.

It was originally designed for intermediate rounds, .280 British, 7.92mm Kurz, etc. the design had to be modified to handle the 7.62-51 NATO round. The 7.92mm Kurz round is not the same as the 7.92mmx57 Mauser that was used in the K98.
    Search: FN FAL history.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    That is incorrect.

Mere possession of a banned rifle within the state of Maryland is illegal and there is no exception in the law for active military or those with dual residency or anything to that effect.

Just for clarity's sake, here is the relevant part of the statute:

As you can see, the ONLY exception in the law was for people who lawfully possessed or had a purchase order for a banned "assault weapon" prior to October 1 2013.

You are all forgetting that whatever base he is stationed at isn't legally Maryland. The base will fall within the Maryland borders but is U.S. Government Property. As long as he is stationed there and the gun stays in the armory or in base housing it's perfectly legal. As for the rifle I would purchase it next time you're at an out of state gun show or home on leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom