• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Get involved. Look, listen, learn and SPEAK. It is more important than you can imagine. Most importantly, be respectful.

For years I sat on the sidelines and let others carry the load. Sorry about that.

I finally realized that a relatively small amount of people were working hard for the rest of us on our 2nd Amendment rights here in Maryland. They work hard. They do it without complaints. Like a slap in the back of my head, I knew I had to kick in and get involved. I thought that my input wouldn't be important. Boy was I wrong. Every voice makes a difference. If you don't let your legislators know what you want, they will listen to the loudest voices, and vote accordingly.

It's easier than you think. Start small. Look at the bills. Call your State representatives and let them know how you feel on the legislation they are voting on. If they won't listen, take the next step and go down to Annapolis and visit them. Still not getting through? Stand on the corner holding a sign. Yes, you may get some ridicule, but you will be surprised how many people agree with you. Furthermore, you will be elbow-to-elbow with other good people who are on your side.

I remember earlier this year, it was my first time standing in protest holding a sign. I was a little nervous. An elderly gentleman walked up to us waving his finger and called us all racists. He received a polite challenge to his comments from us and he walked off huffing and puffing, effectively neutralized without insult. Wow, I was impressed by the gentlemen and the ladies around me. In a case like this I realized that it was best to be respectful and not end up on some Facebook post or a news story as a "crazy gun nut" yelling at someone who disagrees with him. Don't ever take the bait.

While we are riding a wave based on the outcome of the elections, we must continue our polite and respectful efforts.

If you are able, please get involved.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Get involved. Look, listen, learn and SPEAK. It is more important than you can imagine. Most importantly, be respectful.

For years I sat on the sidelines and let others carry the load. Sorry about that.

I finally realized that a relatively small amount of people were working hard for the rest of us on our 2nd Amendment rights here in Maryland. They work hard. They do it without complaints. Like a slap in the back of my head, I knew I had to kick in and get involved. I thought that my input wouldn't be important. Boy was I wrong. Every voice makes a difference. If you don't let your legislators know what you want, they will listen to the loudest voices, and vote accordingly.

It's easier than you think. Start small. Look at the bills. Call your State representatives and let them know how you feel on the legislation they are voting on. If they won't listen, take the next step and go down to Annapolis and visit them. Still not getting through? Stand on the corner holding a sign. Yes, you may get some ridicule, but you will be surprised how many people agree with you. Furthermore, you will be elbow-to-elbow with other good people who are on your side.

I remember earlier this year, it was my first time standing in protest holding a sign. I was a little nervous. An elderly gentleman walked up to us waving his finger and called us all racists. He received a polite challenge to his comments from us and he walked off huffing and puffing, effectively neutralized without insult. Wow, I was impressed by the gentlemen and the ladies around me. In a case like this I realized that it was best to be respectful and not end up on some Facebook post or a news story as a "crazy gun nut" yelling at someone who disagrees with him. Don't ever take the bait.

While we are riding a wave based on the outcome of the elections, we must continue our polite and respectful efforts.

Thank you for recognizing a problem we've faced for far too long.

Glad to have the help.

Essentially, you're where several of us were back in 2010 and 2011.

Since then we've learned to Show Up, Stand Up and Speak Up.

It really does make a difference, if enough do it.

We can only eat the elephant one bite at a time... but with more folks taking chunks, it should get easier each day.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The most important thing to realize is that you don't open your mouth unless you know what you're talking about. More harm can come from an uninformed pro 2a advocate, than any rabid anti 2a individual.

Just one man's opinion.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Thanks for that bit of inspiration!

I've been stepping back until recently. Mostly frustrated by hearing people that understood and supported Freedom and Liberty; just say something to the effect of ---> "Keep up the good work!"

Hearing you say you get it now, and are willing to do something warms my heart. I'm doubling down on support to my local gun clubs, and politicians that really need our support.

If you live in a 'blue zone' (Democratic dominated area of Maryland); read about the DINO movement, join us!

More people should be talking about this, in some districts we literally only need a couple thousand folks to do it and we win! MDShooters alone has over 20,000 members. We have found that in some districts if only 1/2 of the registered Republicans switched to the Democrat ticket and voted in the Primary, we would successfully oust these incumbent Democrats - career politicians! It really is this easy, if only more people knew.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks for that bit of inspiration!

I've been stepping back until recently. Mostly frustrated by hearing people that understood and supported Freedom and Liberty; just say something to the effect of ---> "Keep up the good work!"

Hearing you say you get it now, and are willing to do something warms my heart. I'm doubling down on support to my local gun clubs, and politicians that really need our support.

If you live in a 'blue zone' (Democratic dominated area of Maryland); read about the DINO movement, join us!

More people should be talking about this, in some districts we literally only need a couple thousand folks to do it and we win! MDShooters alone has over 20,000 members. We have found that in some districts if only 1/2 of the registered Republicans switched to the Democrat ticket and voted in the Primary, we would successfully oust these incumbent Democrats - career politicians! It really is this easy, if only more people knew.

light12pdr, Thank you for your efforts.

But please don't DINO. Besides being disorganized, ineffective, and self-defeating, it's dishonest. If you are willing to swallow being dishonest, when someone suggests DINO, please ask who. Who is the alternative, and who is taking their seniority slot? You will almost always find a net move to the left. Besides the rarity (and I mean never, DINO is a disorganized mess) of a DINO movement actually having a Trojan Horse candidate, if they defeat a hated powerful senior member (never really happens, DINO is a disorganized mess), the person who takes the place of this hated powerful senior member is just about guaranteed to be worse and further left than the person they are replacing. Did I mention DINO being disorganized, ineffective, and self-defeating? Just ask who and wait for the detailed, viable plan you will hear.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    light12pdr, Thank you for your efforts.

But please don't DINO. Besides being disorganized, ineffective, and self-defeating, it's dishonest. If you are willing to swallow being dishonest, when someone suggests DINO, please ask who. Who is the alternative, and who is taking their seniority slot? You will almost always find a net move to the left. Besides the rarity (and I mean never, DINO is a disorganized mess) of a DINO movement actually having a Trojan Horse candidate, if they defeat a hated powerful senior member (never really happens, DINO is a disorganized mess), the person who takes the place of this hated powerful senior member is just about guaranteed to be worse and further left than the person they are replacing. Did I mention DINO being disorganized, ineffective, and self-defeating? Just ask who and wait for the detailed, viable plan you will hear.

What's the alternative, in these gerrymandered and bullied districts? Registering as a Democrat is not dishonest, it's understanding 'their' rules and playing 'their' game.

One can do as much as run for office themselves, or as little as voting (in the Primary, and then again in the General election).

Dino may not be the best option for everyone, especially those in an 'undisputed district' (much of Maryland outside the I95 corridor). But for many of us it's the only voice we still have left against the bullies that have run this once wonderful state into the ground for the last 40 years or so.

Open your mind, open your heart; resist the corruption.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    What's the alternative, in these gerrymandered and bullied districts? Registering as a Democrat is not dishonest, it's understanding 'their' rules and playing 'their' game.

One can do as much as run for office themselves, or as little as voting (in the Primary, and then again in the General election).

Dino may not be the best option for everyone, especially those in an 'undisputed district' (much of Maryland outside the I95 corridor). But for many of us it's the only voice we still have left against the bullies that have run this once wonderful state into the ground for the last 40 years or so.

Open your mind, open your heart; resist the corruption.

Especially if the person your trying to get in is a MD Shooters member. I am still considering running in Montgomery County. I just hate that the Dems always run unopposed.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Especially if the person your trying to get in is a MD Shooters member. I am still considering running in Montgomery County. I just hate that the Dems always run unopposed.

There are a LOT of us like minded folks (including MDShooters members) in Montgomery County.

This last election I supported politicians that were not in my district.

It is a shame on us (independents, moderates, conservatives, etc) to have career incumbents running unopposed year after year. What people have tried before did not work, many people have completely lost interest and stopped voting because their district is so gerrymandered they know it's become futile to vote in the General election. But - in these same districts as a registered Democratic your vote matters a lot in the Primary election, and doubly so if you vote again because so few vote during this election.

The ignorant or hard core democrates will vote a straight 'D' ticket, even if it's a conservative.

Democrats just 50 years ago would be viewed today as conservatives.

Happy to discuss more with you privately as well.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Given the vote spread, it's hard to deny that the Democrat primary is the only real election in Maryland, for the core counties at least.

Watching these characters marching in lockstep from local to state to the house of Representatives and the US Senate is revolting. You might get a left-wingnut instead of an incumbent, but undermining their old-boy network is a way to send a message. Besides which, having a new face every election cycle is far better than the Same Old SOBs, year after year after year.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    light12pdr,

As robmints said - thank you for your efforts, and I apologize if I derailed your thread. After corresponding/speaking with tsmith1499 and robmints; I'm still learning a lot about how to make some significant and lasting changes in Maryland. We have to do it right, or else we will waste a lot of time and money, or worse, possibly do more harm than good. I still believe registering as a Democrat or running/supporting a Democrat candidate is perhaps the best way to break the chains of gerrymandering and political gridlock we face in Maryland, it is not the only way, and isn't for everyone, nor every district. Please people, just get out and vote, register (for either party and vote!). I'm going to move this conversation back to the Dino thread and out of your way. Many of us are waiting until after the holidays and inauguration before planning/doing anything political.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on how to make positive changes in Annapolis in 2017!

Last edited:

SC to MD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2016
    An elderly gentleman walked up to us waving his finger and called us all racists. He received a polite challenge to his comments from us and he walked off huffing and puffing, effectively neutralized without insult. Wow, I was impressed by the gentlemen and the ladies around me.

What kind of sign did the elderly guy think was racist? Or what was said to make him think your group was a bunch of racist?

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    What kind of sign did the elderly guy think was racist? Or what was said to make him think your group was a bunch of racist?

The gentlemen was standing near us for awhile. I noticed him because the "hat" he was wearing looked like a beekeepers hat and veil. There were a bunch of signs and he was reading and seething at. He just came over and said it. Poor ignorant fellow.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    light12pdr,

As robmints said - thank you for your efforts, and I apologize if I derailed your thread. After corresponding/speaking with tsmith1499 and robmints; I'm still learning a lot about how to make some significant and lasting changes in Maryland. We have to do it right, or else we will waste a lot of time and money, or worse, possibly do more harm than good. I still believe registering as a Democrat or running/supporting a Democrat candidate is perhaps the best way to break the chains of gerrymandering and political gridlock we face in Maryland, it is not the only way, and isn't for everyone, nor every district. Please people, just get out and vote, register (for either party and vote!). I'm going to move this conversation back to the Dino thread and out of your way. Many of us are waiting until after the holidays and inauguration before planning/doing anything political.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on how to make positive changes in Annapolis in 2017!

Hi Minuteman,
    No problem, I don't feel hijacked. I am glad to see comments and get a conversation going. I am honored that I motivated you and I hope I did the same for others too.

I have learned that one person can make a difference. Even a small step is a step in the right direction. For instance, calling a legislator to give my opinion on a bill they are backing, or opposing, causes them, or their staff to spend resources on me. After all, how can a representative truly know what his constituents want, if he/she doesn't hear from them? Even a quick phone call to say, " My name is ____ and I want the Senator/Representative to oppose/back SBXXXX/HBXXXX."

I am not an expert like some on here, but I plan to do what I can to advance what I believe is a just cause in a polite manner. I am old enough to have learned to take an opposite opinion in stride, even if it comes forth in a nasty way. I have lost my "stage fright". I can hold a sign, I can stand and attest to my beliefs.

SC to MD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2016
    The gentlemen was standing near us for awhile. I noticed him because the "hat" he was wearing looked like a beekeepers hat and veil. There were a bunch of signs and he was reading and seething at. He just came over and said it. Poor ignorant fellow.

You still did not say what kind of signs he thought were racist.

Easier just to dismiss someone as ignorant I guess. Okay....

Maybe he had a point but no one listened?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    You still did not say what kind of signs he thought were racist.

Easier just to dismiss someone as ignorant I guess. Okay....

Maybe he had a point but no one listened?

It is of no consequence. We'll meet many more tools, ignoramuses and dorks this coming season, I'm sure.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There were pics posted of all the signs, none of them were racist in any manner. As reported, the gentleman did not make reference to any specific sign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom