• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    A new species is evolving right before our eyes — an ultra-successful mix of wolves, coyotes and dogs
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/a-n...ra-successful-mix-of-wolves-coyotes-and-dogs/
    ...At about 55 pounds, the hybrid animal is about twice as heavy as a standard coyote, and its large jaws, faster legs and muscular body allow it to take down small deer and even hunt moose in packs, and the animal is skilled at hunting in both open terrain and dense woodland.

An analysis of 437 hybrid animals found that coyote DNA dominates its genetic makeup, with about one-tenth of its DNA from dogs, usually larger dogs such as Doberman pinschers and German shepherds, and a quarter from wolves.

The animal’s cry starts out as a deep-pitched wolf howl that morphs into higher-pitched yipping — like a coyote...

Eastern-coyote-Wikipedia-800x430.png

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Another one- APG one shot by deer hunter there. 33 pound female. Hide on stretcher, the stretcher is 70" end to end.

Attachments

• 33lbfemaleyote.jpg
      33lbfemaleyote.jpg
      58.4 KB · Views: 452
    • yoteonboard.jpg
      yoteonboard.jpg
      37.3 KB · Views: 453

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I think I saw a dead coyotee near Rt100/I95 yesterday. Fur looked just like foxtrapper's left pic.
    Jaw was small. I know it was not a Husky.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Bow hunting in Howard county a couple weeks ago, and two coyotes walked under my friends tree stand

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    About 5-7 years ago Maryland DNR released two pair of coyotes in Howard County to try and reduce/control the deer heard. They have been there for some time but I have no idea of how many there are today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VTHokies

Aug 26, 2016
    Bel Air
    I was out shooting a quick 9 at Ruggles golf course a couple weeks ago (Right outside of APG) and had a coyote standing there looking at me from the edge of the woods while I was putting. Only about 20 yards away. They are definitely around here.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I grew up hearing packs every year in the darlington area. had one enter my yard mid day in solomons island a few years ago. I'm in NC now which was thought to be coyote free 20 years ago and now they are everywhere mostly seen as road kill.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    do these things only tend to attack smaller dogs, or are they attacking large breeds as well?

I would think they would attack anything they feel they can get the best of. I doubt they would go after a lab sized dog, but maybe something smaller. I don't really know what they WOULD attack. I guess it would depend on how hungry they are.

If you have doubts, then keep a close eye on your dog.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    We may have one less to worry about, ChesapeakeIRON. The other morning (maybe thurs...don't remember for sure) I saw a pile of barely discernable roadkill on Old Joppa just on the Bel Air side of Exeter Green. Had it not been for this thread, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But I think it may have been a coyote. It was too churned up to see a distinct body shape, but the hair color was right. It was definitely too big to be a fox or groundhog, but not leggy enough to be a deer (and the fur didn't seem right). I made a mental note to look for it on my way home from work, but unfortunatly my early morning mental postal notes just don't seem to stick through the whole day.:o I do know it was gone the next morning (maybe the coyotes got it?:D)

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Just last Saturday morning I saw one trotting down the middle of Edmund Street in the Hillsdale section of Aberdeen.

The neighbor hood dogs let it know it was not welcome. It pulled a U turn and disappeared into the wood line behind the elementary school.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    We may have one less to worry about, ChesapeakeIRON. The other morning (maybe thurs...don't remember for sure) I saw a pile of barely discernable roadkill on Old Joppa just on the Bel Air side of Exeter Green. Had it not been for this thread, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But I think it may have been a coyote. It was too churned up to see a distinct body shape, but the hair color was right. It was definitely too big to be a fox or groundhog, but not leggy enough to be a deer (and the fur didn't seem right). I made a mental note to look for it on my way home from work, but unfortunatly my early morning mental postal notes just don't seem to stick through the whole day.:o I do know it was gone the next morning (maybe the coyotes got it?:D)

Just circling back to this thread and saw your post. My brother in law saw the same pile of roadkill and we had a similar discussion. I've not gotten them on any game cams In the area yet but hoping they run by one of these days

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Just circling back to this thread and saw your post. My brother in law saw the same pile of roadkill he assumed it was one of the ones lurking around the area and we had a similar discussion, he said it was a little large to be a fox, but defiantly not a household dog ... I've not gotten them on any game cams In the area yet but hoping they run by one of these days

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Saw one in the middle of the afternoon not far from Forest Lakes Elementary. He was trotting along the sidewalk, then ducked into the woods along the creek. At first I thought it was a fox, but the colors were all wrong. It was tan, brown and grey - no red at all. And a bit large for a fox.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I want to find a roadkill deer close to home and drag down in front of the game camera. That should make for some interesting pictures.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I want to find a roadkill deer close to home and drag down in front of the game camera. That should make for some interesting pictures.

You will get Buzzards, Ravens, Hawks, possibly Bald Eagles, Fox and maybe Coyotes. In the Joppa zip I left a deer carcass back in the woods and put the game camera on it. Saw all the above except for Coyotes. I really thought I would see one but unfortunately not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom