• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarthTreebert

Aug 17, 2016
    Hello all. New member here. I'm looking at buying a rifle for my pops chambered in something stronger than .22lr which he already has. It's use would be for castle defense and hopefully recreation at the range. I'm looking to spend 400-700 and something that has a detachable mag. Also - not looking at shotguns bc that's an easy choice if I do go that route with the rem or mossberg.

Two I've seen that he would definitely like are the SW mp 15 and the mossberg predator rifle

Last edited:

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Depends on how old Pops is and if he is open to those new fangled black rifles that are all the rage. Numerous AR platforms are out there but in Md you now need one designated by the manufacturer as "heavy barrel" or you'll see the term HBAR thrown around ( Heavy BARrel).

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    if you want to get him a cheapish AR type rifle, look for a del-ton with a heavy barrel, those can be found under 700, and are of good quality for the price. a sierra (mid length) or echo (carbine length) 316H are they hbar models. A windham weaponry HBC (heavy barrel carbine) rifle is a great rifle for the money, however you'd be hard pressed to find one for less than 750.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I would not go bolt action for home defense unless you live on a BIG property and assume someone is actively attacking you from far away. In Maryland you pretty much have to have an invader in your home to use lethal force against them (within reason). I am okay at working a bolt, but I doubt I could get 2 shots at someone if they ran at me inside my house with one. A pump action I am pretty sure I could get a couple of shots off if they were hallway distance.

I'd look at either lever action or better yet semi-auto if the idea was home defense and also some range time.

A Marlin 336 could do the job in that price range. A semi-auto would be more of a stretch at that price, but maybe a used mini-14 might come in near the top of that price range.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Not sure if you can find one in the price range but how about a used Ruger Mini-14

EDIT...I see it was already suggested.

Or perhaps a lever action.

DarthTreebert

Aug 17, 2016
    Thank you for all of the suggestions. My dad is A Vietnam vet so the ar15 would be pretty comfortable for him and he has mentioned them. He's also retired (60ish) so that could be a fun platform for him to modify. I will definitely take a look at all the rifles suggested and I do appreciate the help. This all came about because he is passing down his Belgian hi-power 9mm bc he has tremors in his hands and can't fire it accurately. But with the extra points of contact, I'm betting that he could get more enjoyment out of a rifle. That is precisely why he is keeping his 22 - an old nylon 66, but I'd be happy if he had something with more stopping power.

DarthTreebert

Aug 17, 2016
    I have also been looking for m1 carbines since that was standard issue in nam but the ones I saw were pretty pricey. Maybe if I up my limit and make it a gift over a couple of years...

And btw - he lucked out and was a driver in Nam, so in case you're wondering, the carbine won't have the potential of triggering some seriously nasty memories that others had to endure.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It depends on how big the castle really, is, but I would not go with an AR or anything in 223 as the first choice.

Pistol caliber carbines like Kel Tec Sub-2000 are an excellent choice, reasonably accurate, in the price range, and have the added advantage that you can shoot them at any indoor range. Range time is a lot more fun when its 70 degrees, not 9 degrees or 100 degrees and humid. 223 and up there are only a handful of indoor ranges that allow rifle-caliber. Lever actions in 357 are a lot of fun, but they are not for the operationally challenged (loading the gun can be difficult until the spring tension wears down a bit).

Also, you are not "buying and "selling" it to him." You are either buying it as a Christmas present, or have him fill out the 4473. Otherwise you will have the ATF beating down your door.

The ATF recommends that if you want to give someone a new firearm, rather than going to a gun store, buying it on your own and giving it to, say your father, consider instead purchasing a gift certificate from that retailer and giving it to Dad as his present. That way he’ll get the exact gun he wants, and there’s no question about who is “the actual buyer of the firearm,” which is a question any purchaser must certify on the Federal Form 4473 at the time of purchase.
    http://www.nssfblog.com/giving-a-firearm-as-a-gift-some-reminders-from-nssf/

DarthTreebert

Aug 17, 2016
    Danb - that's actually a great suggestion. The gift certificate route lets him so the choosing and should he want to pay more he certainly can. And he can take the time to decide what he wants.

May 16, 2012
    I would definitely shy away from a boltgun. As much as I personally hate on piston-driven AR's, it might not be a bad choice for HD use, if you get one that runs well, since they're legal. Buddy of mine recently bought an LWRCI-DI, and it's quite light and handy for a MD-legal HBAR setup (.750" the whole way out, fluted to reduce weight further). Bit on the expensive side though.

May 16, 2012
    I noticed your low post count. I would go as far as to suggest that you edit your original post, which could be misconstrued as the intention to enter into a straw purchase. This is a public forum, with many members who are law enforcement.

Agree. Buy and give as a gift, or buy with your money and make him fill the 4473 at purchase time.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    if you want to get him a cheapish AR type rifle, look for a del-ton with a heavy barrel, those can be found under 700, and are of good quality for the price. a sierra (mid length) or echo (carbine length) 316H are they hbar models. A windham weaponry HBC (heavy barrel carbine) rifle is a great rifle for the money, however you'd be hard pressed to find one for less than 750.

2nd on the Del-Ton. I just shot the 10 spot out on a target at 50 yards. And no, I wasn't using a scope...... :)

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Windom Weaponry Model: R16A4T “HBC” AR15 HBC (Heavy Barrel Carbine), Classic Firearms -The Del-Ton 316H, 316M SKS, First check the IPs for the one closest to you for availability....

http://grabagun.com/windham-weaponry-a3-16-hvvbl-223-30rd-dch.html $741.00.

Also Slickguns has a list of Vendors with it in stock, Just need to verify with the Vendor and your FFL on the magazine issue and will they ship to MD...

https://www.slickguns.com/product/windham-weaponry-ww-15-hbc-556-m4-heavy-barrel-82999-free-shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom