• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasGuy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 8, 2016
    Hi I am in the military stationed here in Maryland. I am a Texas resident and have no interest in being a Maryland resident ever. Saying this I would like to know exactly what I need to do to bring a handgun, that I have at home, legally into the state. I have read some of the laws stating that residents must register handguns, but I haven't seen anything specifically for non residents.
    thanks

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you don't intend to establish residency here, you needn't do anything other than comply with MD transport laws.

See statute 4-203

mxskater25

Jul 31, 2016
    I called the state police and asked the same question. they told me i don't need to register any of my firearms because I'm not going to be a resident even tho i will live in the state for 3 years. I even asked about what if i get pulled over and they said just make sure its locked and not accessible but other than that i don't need to register.. still a little nervous about it tho

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yep, the statute says within 90 days of "establishing residency". Guess if you're military an assignment doesn't mean establishing residency..good. thanks for your service

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Military on orders can maintain residency in a state of their choice. At least in the past, they had to have resided there at some point, but I am not sure if that is required now.

If active duty military, no HQL is required.

You still have to fill out a 77R and wait 7 days for a handgun.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Military on orders can maintain residency in a state of their choice. At least in the past, they had to have resided there at some point, but I am not sure if that is required now.

If active duty military, no HQL is required.

You still have to fill out a 77R and wait 7 days for a handgun.

Before I retired, my state of residence was Illinois and my drivers license was from New Hampshire... Never an issue, other than having to tell the MD state Comptroller to take a hike every other year or so---seems someone in he office thought I was required to file income tax in MD...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My parents lived in MD for 14 years as non-residents.

Then you were supposed to get a local driver's license, but not register your cars in other than your state of residence.

It was interesting the one or two times I had to explain to the officer why my car had Florida tags, but I had an MD DL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom