• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    The tax burden is lower than MD and PA. Housing costs are lower than MD, PA, & VA. WV is signing concealed carry reciprocity agreements left and right. The best part is they have agreements with places I might actually go like NV. It looks pretty good but I must admit I am having trouble moving past all of the WV hillbilly jokes I heard growing up. If I can get my business to where I want it to be and only travel to MD a few days a week I may have to consider a move. On the plus side I could be FREE unlike in the so-called "free state". See the tax burden and housing price statistics at the links below. Almost forgot the low incidence of violent crime. See the link.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/home-sales-average-price/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/03/02/state-local-tax-burden/1937757/

http://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/rank21.html

Been looking for the right combo of price, non HOA, and land for about a year now haven't found it. At this point looking to move future south to Tennessee. My company has an office there and one of us will be able to keep there Job that is very important. No state taxes and property taxes are really low. Sales taxes are higher but overall tax burden is way lower. If is funny. There DMV also handles handgun permits that are shall issue.

Thanks
    Robert

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    That is true. They are trying to bring some of it back with the Scenic Railroad and Mountain Theater. Forest Festival time is still a hoot. And there is always the Ramp Feed in the park...

If you want scared, I'll take you another hour up in the hills from there to where my Dad's family is from. We'll go up Dry Fork and stop in Whitmer on the way to Spruce Knob and the Sinks of Gandy :lol:

That's some cool chit right there. :)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/_jPA57eDzd8?***********

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I love going to NV. There are gun stores and shooting ranges where you can rent class III all over the place. It's open carry and you can get your nonresident NV CWP from the local Sheriff's office after taking a class and qualifying. It is a breath of fresh air to be in a free state who trusts it's honest citizens enough to allow them to exercise their Constitutional rights. Going from a totalitarian state like MD to a free one is an amazing feeling. I am not a fan of Las Vegas, but I love going there each year for my firearms training.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    West Virginia

I love West Virginia and plan to retire there eventually. Buyer beware because it is definitely not for everyone!!!! I am familiar with a few areas that are around the various Hatfield & McCoy Trails for anyone who is familiar. Mostly remote-ish towns between the mountains, with some basic stuff in town like general stores, hardware stores, small restaurants, etc. If you can't live without your "soy vanilla / caramel frappe organic mocha machiatto italia café" it might not be for you.

I've had haircuts for $4 and a hamburger, fries, and soda for $5. I've never seen that in MD, granted nothing special about the food...

Also from what I have seen, there are a lot of run down properties, poor families, and people tend to leave a lot of stuff in their front yard. I think I have a picture I will try to dig up. If you haven't been there you wouldn't believe it. I'm talking multiple cars, washers, dryers, windows, kitchen sinks, etc strung out on the front lawn.

Honestly none of that bothers me, it might bother some. I'd like to get a decent place on a lot of land where I can't see my neighbor. But that is probably many years away.

Last edited:

ir0nw1l

Feb 6, 2013
    WV
    I have considered WV but I can't stand HOAs. I have found it impossible to find any property that is somewhat close to any civilization that isn't controlled by an HOA.

yeah, they can be a problem. we have to fight ours all the time.

ir0nw1l

Feb 6, 2013
    WV
    Moved from Maryland to WV this year. Great experience so far. ...drive to decent stores is 30-45 minutes (winchester or Hagerstown).

It sounds like we could be in the same neck of the woods … Berkeley County is fairly nice. We would like to trade in our postage stamp for something larger in the next few years.

ir0nw1l

Feb 6, 2013
    WV
    Any thoughts re Shepherdstown?

Thanks.

That town isn't to far from me; however, it is a hippie college town on the MD border. There is some nice land between there and Martinsburg and between there and Harper's Ferry.

We like Berkeley County … however, Shepherdstown is Jefferson County and our friends like it over there.

We also have 4 gun ranges in the Martinsburg Area and 2 south of town about 40 minutes.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Wife and I have family roots in WV. In 2008, we bought our retirement property there, 161 acres in Pendleton County about 12 miles south of Franklin. Place has an old house, "campable" but not really livable. We can leverage the eclectic, septic, and 3 strong springs already on the property though. Most conveniences are far away, so planning and self reliance are a way of life there. But it's also truly amazing; the third largest county, but the third least populated in WV. Poor in economy, but rich in everything else. Pendleton County is home to Seneca Rocks, Smoke Hole, Spruce Knob, and is the genesis of the Potomac River. Almost Heaven ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom