• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The only semi-autos approved up by MOM are called Prius.

That's a tough question, the list goes on, but it must be:
    reliable,
    2-3 inch group at 100 yards,
    ammo readily available and reasonably priced,
    spare parts readily available,
    light weight,
    compact,
    easy to adapt to and shoot,
    semi of course,
    and now days what ever is legal in MD!

This produces a long list (including AK, SKS, AR's, Fals, ..., 5.56, 308, 7.62x39 x54, ...), it's up to you and your budget!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    i measured the tavor and it is not allowed after 10/1/13. the limit is 29 inches and the tavor is 26.5. soooo if we could get a tavor with a 20 in barrel ,well it would be ok. i dont know if they offer it yet, i think only 16 and 18 in barrels are availabl;e. now a 18 in and a 1 in but pad on the butt well that would be ok at 29.5
    hey imi are you listening

Mount a bayonet on the end of it an it's legal... hell you can duct tape a twizzler to it and it's legal.

The law, is so completely stupid because nowhere do they define how OAL is measured and if you use the ATF standard, it doesn't matter how you get there... a suppressor mounted would do the same thing.

This is such a non-issue as to be laughable. Put a 4 inch AMD-65 style muzzle brake on it - Done.

FWIW, nothing in the law specifies that OAL requires a longer barrel, you could add a 2 inch butt pad and a 2 inch muzzle brake, and viola, legal. An adjustable length of pull from 2-4 inches would also achieve the same end result.

:facepalm: WTG Maryland Legislature. You accomplished nothing!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    We can go to va and buy a long gun that would be non regulated in md right? Like we can go to va, cash and carry an hbar correct?

Cash and Carry! That's correct.

Below... my favorite cash and carry AR so far...

Add Form 1, Mill and engrave 80% lower, stir for 6 months, examine cancelled tax stamp, and gently add remaining components until complete.

Attachments

• IMG_1511.JPG
      IMG_1511.JPG
      81.3 KB · Views: 775

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    We can go to va and buy a long gun that would be non regulated in md right? Like we can go to va, cash and carry an hbar correct?

Legally, yes.

Practically, MAYBE. Many FFLs do not want to take the time and effort to keep with with MD laws, so just do not sell to MD residents. Others, will not take the chance of messing up with the whole HBAR thing and will not sell any AR type to MD.

So you have to go to VA, find the firearm, and then see if they will sell to you, without sending to MD FFL.

If so, then you are set.

I just bought a shotgun in VA. :)

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Since when? I own a FS2000, PS90 and Sig556, and I had to go through the same hoops as everyone else if they were to purchase a pistol or any other regulated firearm.

Well then you got butt raped by your FFL who should have known better.

Who was your ffl, MSAR? My sig is the 556r, but I own the other two as well and they tried to make me do the regulated dance too. Heavy on the tried.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    SKS (as long as it doesnt have detach. magazine)
    AR-10's
    Kel Tec S2k
    Mini-14's without folding stock
    Mini-30's (Anyone know if Shooters Discount has these?)
    MP-15 22
    S-12
    Unconverted Saiga's in various calibers
    PS90
    SCAR
    ACR
    TAVOR
    F2000
    Hi point carbines

I'm missing a few.

The IMI TAVOR's overall length is under 29" and thus will be banned after Oct. 1st.

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    This might be a stupid question, but I hear everyone saying that AR-10's are not regulated, however when I got a CMMG 308 lower a few years back I had to fill out a 77R.
    Mind you there are two different standards for the 308 AR platform, the AR-10 and the LR-308, and the CMMG lower is for LR-308 compatible parts... but still it's all AR-10 based.

So what's up with that? Why did I have to fill out a form 77R if these things are supposed to be unregulated? The paperwork was done exactly like it would for an AR15 lower. In fact on the 77R under "TYPE" it was even listed as "X", which I believe is the MSP designation for a rifle (my GSG-5 was also listed as "Type: X" on form 77R when I got one, back when they were considered regulated for a while).

Note: all semi-auto handguns I've ever bought have been listed as "Type: A" on form 77R, so I'm guessing that means "handgun" or "semi-auto handgun". That should be helpful for those of you trying to figure out what your stuff is registered as with the state.

theduder100

Mar 11, 2012
    Buying a complete AR 10 rifle is non regulated. Buying an AR 10 lower is regulated as the lower receiver can potentially be built into a pistol configuration.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Lots of people buy lots of non-regulated weapons and still fill out the regulated paperwork, why, because of one or more of the following reasons:

1. They don't know the law.
    2. They trust other people who don't know the law.
    3. Their FFL is covering their ass and not willing to risk being wrong.
    4. They don't care about having to do the regulated firearms paperwork.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    This might be a stupid question, but I hear everyone saying that AR-10's are not regulated, however when I got a CMMG 308 lower a few years back I had to fill out a 77R.
    Mind you there are two different standards for the 308 AR platform, the AR-10 and the LR-308, and the CMMG lower is for LR-308 compatible parts... but still it's all AR-10 based.

So what's up with that? Why did I have to fill out a form 77R if these things are supposed to be unregulated? The paperwork was done exactly like it would for an AR15 lower. In fact on the 77R under "TYPE" it was even listed as "X", which I believe is the MSP designation for a rifle (my GSG-5 was also listed as "Type: X" on form 77R when I got one, back when they were considered regulated for a while).

Note: all semi-auto handguns I've ever bought have been listed as "Type: A" on form 77R, so I'm guessing that means "handgun" or "semi-auto handgun". That should be helpful for those of you trying to figure out what your stuff is registered as with the state.

X is assault weapon... You got shafted.

Yes, people have purchased receivers in Maryland without regulated paperwork. Receivers that are voluntarily registered on a form 77R should be transferred as "Other" since that is what they are.

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland

Yes, people have purchased receivers in Maryland without regulated paperwork. Receivers that are voluntarily registered on a form 77R should be transferred as "Other" since that is what they are.
    So it would seem Gun Connection handles all lowers as "Assault Weapons" by default then.
    Thanks for letting me know about this. I'll remember it for the future (between now and October, or if I ever move). It'll come in handy.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!

Please name me one FFL that currently sells AR receivers cash and carry. Seriously, if they're out there I would do a transfer through them!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Is the M1 Carbine going to be banned? There are ones out there without bayonet lugs...

:facepalm: The legislature didn't go after bayonet lugs, as there were not sufficient drive by bayonettings to justify an assault bayonet ban.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Please name me one FFL that currently sells AR receivers cash and carry. Seriously, if they're out there I would do a transfer through them!

I dunno about that, but I can name an FFL who has transferred other receivers without regulated paperwork!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom