• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    With all the talk about and (lets face it) the inevitable signing of the assault weapons ban...I'm really curious about some details about the previous ban.

I wasn't old enough/interested in Assault Weapons when the previous ban was in. But now I've got an AR15 and finding .223 is nearly impossible.

My question: I was told by my father that the previous assault weapons ban also banned .223 ammo. First off, is this true? Second, I was considering getting some reloading equipment since I can't find anything on shelves...if there was a ban on .223 ammo, did they also ban the production of components to make the ammo - cases and bullets.

I'm seriously considering dropping about $600 on some reloading equipment to get started with and I want to make sure it won't be money down the drain if I can't get components!

Thanks and please excuse my ignorance.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Let's not face it, the signing of an AWB is not as inevitable as you may think. You seriously think most politicians would risk their jobs? Sure, the ones in the usual states don't have to worry, but that's not the case everywhere. Defeatest mentality helps NOBODY, period.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    Well that's a discussion for another thread, I was just throwing my .02 in. I'm more interested in the potential for ammo banning to make a decision here. I've called a few local stores and they say that there's someone at the door EVERY MORNING looking to buy .223 and if there's any in, they take it all. My stock is so low, I cancelled a trip to the range because I couldn't find enough to make it worth going to shoot...a little nerve racking.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I was in 4th grade back in 1994. I got my first "assault rifle" when I was 11 (an M1 Carbine).

.223 ammo was not banned. I purchased all of my 30 round mags, AR, AKs, SKSs, Cetme and ammo to go with everything during the old AWB (I mowed yards, raked leaves, had 2 jobs while in HS).

That being said, everything is tough to get right now. I reload and needed to get bullet casting equipment (which is also getting tougher to find) to make bullets to reload the ammo. If you want to get into reloading and have no powder or primers, you might be waiting a little while until you can hit the ground running.

Cig Sour

Jan 10, 2013
    Pasadena, Maryland
    They did not ban .223 ammo and will not ban .223 ammo this time around either. Your best bet is to buy ammo at a supplier off the internet. Occasionally a fellow shooter will post on this forum where they are selling ammo.I was fortunate enough this morning to order some 5.56 ammo from Midway thanks to a Md Shooter who gave everyone a heads up.Ammo is out there ... you will just have to hunt around for it and possibly pay a premium price for it.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Well that's a discussion for another thread, I was just throwing my .02 in. I'm more interested in the potential for ammo banning to make a decision here. I've called a few local stores and they say that there's someone at the door EVERY MORNING looking to buy .223 and if there's any in, they take it all. My stock is so low, I cancelled a trip to the range because I couldn't find enough to make it worth going to shoot...a little nerve racking.

I think he was refering to another ammo panic thread.

IMHO which means little considering how far the gov to restrict liberties I feel it is unlikely. May go after import stuff and high likelihood restrict milsurp. M855 etc but I am no expert on hypotheticals.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    ok, that's good to know. my dad wasn't sure but he was pretty sure it was banned but he's never owned an assault weapon - just hunting guns.

I know there's no predicting what will happen in the upcoming months but I wanted to get the last assault weapons ban straight so I knew what to expect...and yes, even components and sometimes even presses have been difficult to find but not nearly as difficult as pre manufactured ammo.

And if I'm paying a premium price for it...now's the best time to start reloading and it makes more sense than ever. I could buy bulk bullets, primers, and powder and keep a few cases on hand as well but I would feel much more secure in my ability to create ammo than I would to find it.

More .02:
    Assault weapons make up a VERY small percentage of the murders in this country. Unfortunately, they get a bad reputation thanks to the media. Its a shame that this countries bases its laws on "feelings" and "emotions" rather than look at statistics to actually solve our murder rate but that's where we are. It is my honest opinion that we will, in the next year, have an assault weapons ban passed. But I just wanted to clarify that I don't believe it has any basis in reality and that I don't support it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I do not believe a federal AWB will be passed. Local is a toss up without your help.

Please help; contact your state senator and delegates

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    WHAT?

ok, that's good to know. my dad wasn't sure but he was pretty sure it was banned but he's never owned an assault weapon - just hunting guns.

I know there's no predicting what will happen in the upcoming months but I wanted to get the last assault weapons ban straight so I knew what to expect...and yes, even components and sometimes even presses have been difficult to find but not nearly as difficult as pre manufactured ammo.

And if I'm paying a premium price for it...now's the best time to start reloading and it makes more sense than ever. I could buy bulk bullets, primers, and powder and keep a few cases on hand as well but I would feel much more secure in my ability to create ammo than I would to find it.

More .02:
    Assault weapons make up a VERY small percentage of the murders in this country. Unfortunately, they get a bad reputation thanks to the media. Its a shame that this countries bases its laws on "feelings" and "emotions" rather than look at statistics to actually solve our murder rate but that's where we are. It is my honest opinion that we will, in the next year, have an assault weapons ban passed. But I just wanted to clarify that I don't believe it has any basis in reality and that I don't support it.

Please define "assault weapon". My hammer can "assault" plenty of people in the wrong hands, cars work too.

Attachments

• more_people_killed_with_hammers_than_rifles-thumb-600xauto-2392.jpg
      more_people_killed_with_hammers_than_rifles-thumb-600xauto-2392.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 178

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads