• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    I recently moved to MD and have applied for my HQL a couple weeks ago but it is currently in "PENDING" status. I also have my NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certification so I figure I might as well apply to be an MSP Qualified instructor.

I'm now applying online with MSP but have a couple questions. Hoping someone here can help me out!

1 - Do I apply for a "Qualified Handgun Instructor Certificate" or "Qualified Handgun Instructor License"?

2 - Is there a fee to register with MSP?

3 - Approximately how long does it take for MSP to approve (or deny, I suppose) your application?

4 - With my HQL application pending, is there any reason to wait before submitting my instructor application?

Thanks!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I recently moved to MD and have applied for my HQL a couple weeks ago but it is currently in "PENDING" status. I also have my NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certification so I figure I might as well apply to be an MSP Qualified instructor.

I'm now applying online with MSP but have a couple questions. Hoping someone here can help me out!

1 - Do I apply for a "Qualified Handgun Instructor Certificate" or "Qualified Handgun Instructor License"?

2 - Is there a fee to register with MSP?

3 - Approximately how long does it take for MSP to approve (or deny, I suppose) your application?

4 - With my HQL application pending, is there any reason to wait before submitting my instructor application?

Thanks!

1) cert is fine unless you thinking about training security guards, pi and such

2) no

3) a month (been awhile.. i cant remember.. renewals took few days)

4) hql doesnt matter..(i dont have hql..lol)

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Sweet, thanks for the quick response. So it sounds like the "License" is only necessary to train those who will be using the training professionally (e.g. security guard). In which case, the certificate is what I need. Most I would ever do is help friends and family to get their HQL.

Much appreciated!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Sweet, thanks for the quick response. So it sounds like the "License" is only necessary to train those who will be using the training professionally (e.g. security guard). In which case, the certificate is what I need. Most I would ever do is help friends and family to get their HQL.

Much appreciated!

:thumbsup: good luck!

edit/add

the experation date correspond to your nra cert.. so if your nra cert exp soon .. renew that first.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Just a clarification, a MSPQHI can teach HQL and wear and carry. Check the msp website and give them an email with questions. Get the answers from them.

My understanding is one version is for non police trained such as nra instructors, the other is for police trained instructors, but I could be full oh poo.

TD

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Just a clarification, a MSPQHI can teach HQL and wear and carry. Check the msp website and give them an email with questions. Get the answers from them.

My understanding is one version is for non police trained such as nra instructors, the other is for police trained instructors, but I could be full oh poo.

TD

First part is good advice.

Last edited:

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Thanks, I think :)

Just relaying what I was told when they first started to issue credentials, and I'll ask myself again later lol

TD

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    1) cert is fine unless you thinking about training security guards, pi and such

2) no

3) a month (been awhile.. i cant remember.. renewals took few days)

4) hql doesnt matter..(i dont have hql..lol)

It is my understanding that a QHIC can certify security guards also. Can you possibly link me info to the contrary. When I submitted for a QHIL I was told by licensing that they were going to discontinue that.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It is my understanding that a QHIC can certify security guards also. Can you possibly link me info to the contrary. When I submitted for a QHIL I was told by licensing that they were going to discontinue that.

Not saying you can't.. but y would you, if you only have basic handgun qualification.

I certainly wouldn't do it. Unless you have other qualifications/experience in that field.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    QHI can instruct, qualify, and renew security guards for their permits. It's a different qualification for security than others. You don't certify them as security guards, that's another card and the security companies responsibility along with training them. In my experience most security companies have their own people certified to train and teach their officers, but some smaller companies do send their people out in their own to get the training.

TD

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    QHI can instruct, qualify, and renew security guards for their permits. It's a different qualification for security than others. You don't certify them as security guards, that's another card and the security companies responsibility along with training them. In my experience most security companies have their own people certified to train and teach their officers, but some smaller companies do send their people out in their own to get the training.

TD
    Agreed on qualify..

they are two different monster.. hql all deals with basic handgun training plus the overview of MD gun laws.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Misunderstood what you were saying as far as the security guard thing goes.

Miles71, I do qualify Security guards and it is for one of the largest security guard companies in the world, so it isn't just small companies that the guards have to go out and get their classes for the permits from private instructors. The guards also have to pay for it themselves.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Misunderstood what you were saying as far as the security guard thing goes.

Miles71, I do qualify Security guards and it is for one of the largest security guard companies in the world, so it isn't just small companies that the guards have to go out and get their classes for the permits from private instructors. The guards also have to pay for it themselves.
    You got a mile long list of qualifications... You are different.. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom