• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcbg

Nov 21, 2012
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I wasn't sure if anyone was aware of this, but recently 3D printers have become really affordable. Although the quality of the cheap ones is not weapons grade in accuracy, let alone strength, people are pursing making completely 3D printable fire arms. They already have had some limited success.
    This group has been developing and posting parts/designs http://defensedistributed.com/

This will be something to keep an eye on in the future months because it puts a whole new spin on regulation. Currently the law is not really written to address it, let alone the reality of trying to enforce it. I own a relatively cheap 3d printer myself, and I have to say there is a real potential for both successful weapon creation as well as major legal/regulation implications.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Wouldn't "printing" be "manufacturing"???

Yes, which would be illegal for magazines.

Now, if you owned property outside of Maryland and made them there, you could possess them in state for your use, I suppose, but why bother?

Currently the law is not really written to address it

It does for magazines. The law says no manufacturing. But, for a regulated weapon receiver, we would have to see what the new law would say. I don't know if I trust a printed receiver.

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines -- Prohibited

(a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Last edited:

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Your only a manufacturer if you sell. Just like buying and finishing an 80% lower.

Interesting thought. I think it would depend on legal interpretation. Maryland law sometimes uses "manufacture for sale" and sometimes just "manufacture" (which is defined as create) in the laws. Knowing Gansler, I probably wouldn't test that theory, but your point is taken.

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    He already has printed a 30 round magazine, but how reliably it stands up over time remains to be seen. ABS plastic is not the same as the stuff used in pmags. However the technology is improving constantly and some of the higher-end 3d printers can use laser sintering to print metal. Getting the feed lips right would be the biggest obstacle. Mags are tough to get right, even for the pros.

bcbg

Nov 21, 2012
    Glen Burnie, MD
    My point about the laws is less about what they make legal and illegal but more about enforcement. If it becomes almost as easy as printing directions to print a cheap gun, what is the gun grabbers response? This could lead to more serious talks of banning/regulating ammo for example. There are far reaching implications.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Already some laws around firearms manufacturing already, which you'd have to follow whether you are creating an ABS lower or a high quality billet one on a CNC machine. And manufacturing capability is of dubious value if possession is banned.

The real rub is that guns need to eat to be functional. Ammo can't be printed. Nor can critical components like a barrel or bolt, which are regulated parts in many other places in the world. When we can print phase plasma rifles at home, I'll be a happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom