• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have an AR barrel that is 14.5" long. What length muzzle device do I need to get it to 16"? I'm assuming that it should be about 2" but not sure as I don't know about the threaded part length.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Lock a bolt into battery and measure from the bolt face out. That will give you the exact length you need to achieve.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Threads are probably .5-.8" long. This depends on the device and barrel- you did not say what caliber but a heavier caliber might need longer threads. So maybe 1.5"+.8" + .1" (for a margin of error for timing). To find the threaded length, just measure the threads on the barrel with calipers. Add that to 1.5". So if the threads on the barrel are .625 long, .625+1.5+ margin of error for timing or pinning

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    16" OAL, so that would be a 1.5" pinned & welded. IIR the device needs to be "permanently" attached. Blind pin, welded etc. IANAL

1.5" + 14.5" does not equal 16". You have the thread length where the two overlap.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    AR15 threads are ~.625" long. The standard A2 flash hider comes in just short of 16" on the 14.5" barrel which is why there are a bunch of 14.7" barrels out there with pinned and welded A2 flash hiders. There are A2X extended A2 flash hides available that will take you to 16" on a 14.5" barrel. I think BCM sells them.

With all that out of the way, to give the simple answer without the useful information. The flash hider would need to be at least 2.15" OAL to get you to 16"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom