• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's time plus penalties. The best shooters are doing this under 20 seconds. My best time was 23 seconds, but I had 10 seconds in penalties. To get no penalties, you need to hit five 2.2" circles at 20 feet 25 times.

Thanks for the explanation. :thumbsup:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Well, if they did this, it would have to be a more difficult string of fire. I mean, did you see the targets and from 20 feet using a pistol? 3 minutes for 25 rounds is an overabundance of time. With a .22 even?

Well, if you are using a Phoenix HP22a it could take three minutes alone to do four magazine swaps

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Congrats, JIMBOB Knock em dead, ( pun intended)

Nice signature too, HAHA.

In my paper on my fridge that says, You might be a redneck if whenever you have guests come over, they ask when will you house be finished?
    My dad had a sign that said, " A mother's work is never done, I have so much to do, I will never die"

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I got my invite yesterday as well to regionals...

The course of fire they have posted looks interesting. ..

Everyone shooting the same guns should level the playing field a bit...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yup. It's going to be interesting. I shot the qualifier with a stock Ruger MK II with a red dot. I'm not thrilled with the iron-sight .22s, but hey, everyone is using the same guns. The Keltec Sub2000 is an interesting twist. I'm going to have to practice 100 yard offhand shots now.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Yeah, I used a Browning Buckmark pistol with a Burris Fast Fire 3 on it (my bullseye pistol) as well as a 40 year old Glenfield 60 with another Burris FF3 on it for the rifle qual...

The offhand shooting with the Sub2000 9mm and the bolt 223 will definitely separate the good shooters from the average ones...

Plus some of the stages with the obstacles to shoot around...and having to shoot weak hand/weak shoulder will really throw a monkey wrench in it for anyone who has never tried it...

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Interesting that you have to shoot the Kel-Tec both strong and weak side. Having shot lefty for years and shot the shotgun in 3-gun from the left side when needed this would not be an issue for me.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Now that I'm looking, do we get a bag for the rifle on the bench and prone, or maybe a sling? Bipod? It would be handy to know for practice.

Looked over the course of fire again just now.... no bags mentioned... I get the feeling that if they do not give it to us, we can't have it...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well finally shot the qualifier last Thursday, the last scheduled day for TMGN. A bunch of late shooters like myself showed up then. Decided just to shoot smooth and not try too hard to go fast Only practiced for a hour on Monday morning with the pistol and about an hour in the morning of the day I shot with the rifle. Used my regular rimfire racegun pistol and my backup competition 10/22. Pistol was 18.88+8=26.88 and rifle was 16.49+8=24.49. That should be OK.
    I noticed they eliminated the shotgun stage from the regional so only 5 stages. I don't think that would have been good for the average shooter, male, female or junior unless you had experience shooting some kind of shotgun sport.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Well finally shot the qualifier last Thursday, the last scheduled day for TMGN. A bunch of late shooters like myself showed up then. Decided just to shoot smooth and not try too hard to go fast Only practiced for a hour on Monday morning with the pistol and about an hour in the morning of the day I shot with the rifle. Used my regular rimfire racegun pistol and my backup competition 10/22. Pistol was 18.88+8=26.88 and rifle was 16.49+8=24.49. That should be OK.
    I noticed they eliminated the shotgun stage from the regional so only 5 stages. I don't think that would have been good for the average shooter, male, female or junior unless you had experience shooting some kind of shotgun sport.

Your pistol score got you in, it's 8 seconds faster than mine and I got an invite. BTW, the shotgun stage wasn't on the pdf I looked at when I posted earlier.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Mid-Atlantic Regional Report

Got home last night from competing in the American Marksman Mid-Atlantic Regional Round. It was done at Peacemaker National Training Center in West Virginia... nice place.

Both Northeast Region and Mid-Atlantic Region competed over the weekend. I shot in the Men's Open division, there were 115 of us in this division.

Saturday:

9mm Peek-A-Boo:
    We shot a Keltec 9mm carbine for this. Standing behind a standard sized door, we had to shoot 1 string of 5 shots strong side around the door at 5 - 8 inch steel plates at 15 yards. Then repeat on weak side with five rounds, then one more time strong side with 5 rounds.

This was shot for total time, any misses were plus 3 seconds. I did it in 20.42 seconds (+9 seconds for 3 misses - 2 on weak side) - Total of 29.42 secs 68th of 115.

100 yard Rifle Gong
    Shooting a Ruger American All Weather .223 Remington rifle (stainless steel version of regular American Rifle) with Burris FFE 2-7x scope.

Shooting at a round 10 inch metal gong.

Shoot standing offhand unsupported, rifle loaded w/safety on. Shoot til gong is hit - 20 second par time.

Shoot at bench, no support other than yourself and bench, rifle loaded w/safety on. Same as before, shoot til gong is hit - 20 second par time.

Shoot at Prone, no support other than yourself and ground, rifle loaded w/safety on. Same as before.

I shot all three shots w/no misses. Total time - 5.1 seconds. 5th of 115 (my best event)

22 LR Pistol:

Shot the same as the Local Qualifier except at 30 feet. Pistol was a TacSol Tac-Lite race gun w/compensator and iron sights. It sucked, flat out sucked. Meant to be a race gun, aluminum barrel with steel insert. We were the last group to shoot this gun at the end of the day after 150 people had shot it.

Aiming 6 inches below the bullseye, it would hit 4 inches above the bullseye, and would not hit the same point twice.

I went for speed since it would not hit the broad side of a barn at that point.

Did the course of fire with a time of 16.38 seconds with 66 seconds in penalties for a total time of 82.38 seconds. 101st of 115. (Everyone sucked at this one).

Sunday:

9mm Crimson Trace Dark House:

Shot with a CZ P09 9mm pistol w/crimson trace laser. Center area w/ three USPSA standard A/C/D zone cardboard targets. Two covered hallways on either side with 2 targets each. You shoot standing behind a door with a 2 foot wide x 6 foot tall hole in it.

You shoot first string of 10 shots (2 per target) through the hole in the door and engage center targets and either hallway.

Second string is shot with you looking through hole in door and your arm around door using the laser to engage the last two targets.

My time - 14.66 seconds plus 5 seconds for 5 c-zone hits - total time 19.66 seconds. 68th of 115.

22 LR Rifle

Shot same as Local Qualifier at 30 feet. Rifle was the TacSol TacLite rifle with iron sights. This was actually accurate and was fine other than being a jam-o-matic.

10 shots strong side, 5 shots weak side, 10 shots strong side. I had 5 jams and took forever to get a clean run.

Total time - 20.93 seconds with 12 seconds in penalties (6 in ring around bull) - total time 32.93 seconds. 49th of 115.

Total scoring was, whoever shot best time for the event got 100 points. Everyone else below got whatever their percentage of their time was from the leader in points.

Total for the weekend - 32nd of 115

Attachments

• 9mm Pistol small.jpg
      9mm Pistol small.jpg
      87.6 KB · Views: 81
    • 22 lr rifle small.jpg
      22 lr rifle small.jpg
      97.2 KB · Views: 82
    • End of day one small.jpg
      End of day one small.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 82
    • Group 9 - Mens Open small.jpg
      Group 9 - Mens Open small.jpg
      132.1 KB · Views: 86

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I had a hard time with the Keltec so I pretty much blew that stage. I did get all three hits on the gong but on the second shot. By that time I knew I could not win so on the .22s I decided just to have fun and shoot as fast as I could. I shot 9.27s raw with the pistol (3.1s, 3.12, and 3.05s) and something around 9.40 with the rifle(best 10 shot run was 2.92s). But I had to shoot so many over again due to gun/mag/ammo issues it was funny. On the Crimson-Trace CZ I shot 3.2s on the 5 shot stage and then 4.3s on the laser targets. Did not really care what my score was, as it was fun regardless once you have no chance to win.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I know what you mean... I was having fun, and knew the 100 yard gong was going to be my best event (I was practicing offhand with a 10 pound precision AR)... when we had our fiddle time with the rifle prior to shooting the event, and realized how gritty the bolt was there was no way I was wanting to miss any of the shots.

The rest of the events (not counting the 22LR Pistol which was almost a complete waste of time), I did ok in... I was looking at this as my first real competition so I kept close attention to what I can do better next time (reaction time to the buzzer, getting sight picture faster...etc..).

Either way, I am pleased with how I did, and am looking forward to doing it again next year... they will have the same local qualification again (so they said) but the regional events will be different. They were really good about asking for feedback and seemed to take the comments and suggestions seriously.

Now to practice for next year...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Consider shooting some other competition during the year to prepare your mental side for the next AM event. Contrary to most people's beliefs shooting is mainly mental not physical. No matter how good your physical condition is if your brain can't process data fast enough it won't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom