• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phinfanfrommd

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    My Springfield 1911 Model GI only came with one 7-rounder. I want to buy a few more. Direct from SA web store they cost $23.50, but online (Midway USA - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ory-magazine-1911-government-commander-45-acp) they are only $13.99. I can't find the company of these mags.

I will pay extra for quality gear, but what should I know about 1911 mags before purchasing?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My Springfield 1911 Model GI only came with one 7-rounder. I want to buy a few more. Direct from SA web store they cost $23.50, but online (Midway USA - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ory-magazine-1911-government-commander-45-acp) they are only $13.99. I can't find the company of these mags.

I will pay extra for quality gear, but what should I know about 1911 mags before purchasing?

Skip the cheap no name mags. Get factory mags or mags from a reputable name like Mec Gar, Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I would highly recommend Wilson Combat mags. I have them for my M45, Colt CCU, and both Delta Elites. I originally bought them for a low light handgun course and since the M45 cane with them,I figured I would stick with them. And they are known for quality. So, to me, it was worth the added cost for quality and piece of mind. I bought them on Midway on sale for under $40 a piece. I've functioned checked them all with several hundred rounds in total without an issue.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Don't buy cheap 1911 mags you will often find they won't lock back. Wilson 47d mags have never failed me they even work in my RIA tactical and that gun is very mag picky.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Yep. Love the Wilson 47Ds as well. Brownells had them for $25 with free shipping last Black Friday. Couldn't resist adding more :)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Genuine Colt, Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick (Shooting Star) are the best 1911 magazines out there...I've never had a problem with any of those...can't say the same about others. Chip McCormick has made magazines for Colt in the past.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Mil-spec mags work just fine too. Grabbed these for $10 each and have not had a malfunction.

Eta... Drop them hard on concrete during changes without issue as well

Attachments

• IMAG4448.jpg
      IMAG4448.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 226

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It's really embarrasing when the floor plate ejects off of the bottom of a cheap one...and it empties itself full semiauto. :innocent0 Makes for some laughs at the range:D...and some serious hypothetical HD concerns.:o

DC45

Mar 8, 2018
    DC
    I have thousands of rounds through the Chip McCormick Power Mag Plus model and they’ve been great. They recently developed an even further improved model called the RPM that has reinforced feed lips.

I also have one Wilson mag, but I prefer the CMC mags for the simple reason that they have numbers to indicate how many rounds you’ve loaded. If I’m out of the office, I don’t want to have to count things anymore.

If you want to stick with the GI look, keep in mind that the 47Ds and many CMC mags have extended base pads. But, if you have any interest in smooth and speedy reloads, I’d highly recommend them.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Tripp, Wilson, McCormick, for .45.
    In that order.
    For 9mm McCormick, or Metalform Springfield style.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You only got one magazine? My Range Officer came with three. Either way, I only purchased the Wilson Combat mags for 45 ACP. They all work with all bullet profiles in my SA. And it's nice having bumpers on the magazines, especially if you ever decide to compete with said firearm.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Even within makers like McCormick, there may be mags that work in your gun and those that don't. I have 2 1911's that are mag picky and 3 that aren't

Definitely avoid budget mags

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There are so many 1911 makers and brands...some forged...some cast...that there are bound to be differences in tolerances. There's always plus and minus tolerances...even within the same make. Add plus and minus tolerances to different brand magazines and it's easy to see why some pistols don't like certain magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom