• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    This is why we all need to be telling everyone we know the FACTS. And if anyone isn't sure look it up.

The MSI website has great summaries of SB281, and there are documented resources here as well.

Problem is, too many people are assuming, or taking something they heard from their buddy, who thought they read a post from someone they kinda trust on the internet that it is going to be the worst thing ever, be venomous, and have seven heads.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I think that the OP will have to go through the training portion unless he bought a regulated firearm in MD. Since the Beretta was purchased in Virginia, it may not fulfill the requirement. I could be mistaken however.

On page 29, The law says "(6) LAWFULLY OWNS A REGULATED FIREARM.". No qualifier that it was purchased in MD.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    shhh... they might get an idea!!!

;)

I have thought all along they blew that one, assuming they'd only be dealing with MDers in the future.

Sawry!

Since we have no idea how they intend to have people prove they lawfully own a regulated firearm... In fact, I bet they have no idea how they intend to have people prove it either...

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The problem is that there are no fingerprinting services in Southern Maryland. The least distant are in Waldorf and Lothian...both 40 miles up the road.

Typical of legislators from the I-95 axis to forget about us. All we do is pay through the nose to support their vote-buying schemes.

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    On page 29, The law says "(6) LAWFULLY OWNS A REGULATED FIREARM.". No qualifier that it was purchased in MD.

shhh... they might get an idea!!!

;)

I have thought all along they blew that one, assuming they'd only be dealing with MDers in the future.

Wondered about this myself. It would be interesting to see how they plan to handle a current MD resident that moved here with lawfully purchased handguns in states they previously resided. That was me until this year! :innocent0

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Did anyone else read the financial report that went with SB281? They are counting on a large revenue from it.....

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/fnotes/bil_0001/sb0281.pdf

This is the real reason government gets involved in things that aren't any of their business; revenue for the state.

However, after they kill-off a large percentage of MD firearms dealers and there's a big drop in sales after 1 October, I predict the political impacts of SB281 will result their revenue predictions being wildly optimistic.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Sawry!

Since we have no idea how they intend to have people prove they lawfully own a regulated firearm... In fact, I bet they have no idea how they intend to have people prove it either...

Well, for anyone who purchased in-state, we do now know they have a registry of those firearms. Federal law be damned, but they have it. Baron von Frosh had to admit it on the Senate floor.

For folks who move in? Yeah... that's going to be very interesting. If those are somehow 'on record'??

LOOOOSYY!! You goss some 'splainin' to do!!!

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Well, for anyone who purchased in-state, we do now know they have a registry of those firearms. Federal law be damned, but they have it. Baron von Frosh had to admit it on the Senate floor.

For folks who move in? Yeah... that's going to be very interesting. If those are somehow 'on record'??

LOOOOSYY!! You goss some 'splainin' to do!!!

I meant folks moving from out of state prior to 10/1.

The 77R has a signature block that I love (note sarcasm) that says "Voluntary Registrant/Applicant" or something to that effect. So you can't sign the application without "voluntarily" registering your purchase...

Mr H

Banana'd
    This is the real reason government gets involved in things that aren't any of their business; revenue for the state.

However, after they kill-off a large percentage of MD firearms dealers and there's a big drop in sales after 1 October, I predict the political impacts of SB281 will result their revenue predictions being wildly optimistic.

Interesting...

I saw the revenue "projections" as nothing more than a Snake Oil selling point, in an attempt to solidify the votes of the lefties who know nothing about the gun issues. I never considered them real or attainable, and just a means to getting votes on the floor.

Sure, any new revenues wouldn't be turned down, but they are secondary IMO, as long as the greater ideological goals are met.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Interesting...

I saw the revenue "projections" as nothing more than a Snake Oil selling point, in an attempt to solidify the votes of the lefties who know nothing about the gun issues. I never considered them real or attainable, and just a means to getting votes on the floor.

Sure, any new revenues wouldn't be turned down, but they are secondary IMO, as long as the greater ideological goals are met.

The budget is counting on those revenues. It calculates out to about 68,000 HQL applications. Saw somewhere else a budget of approximately $4M, with seed money of $.6M from the state budget. Hey, maybe we could help them run up the deficit next year :D

Mr H

Banana'd
    I meant folks moving from out of state prior to 10/1.

The 77R has a signature block that I love (note sarcasm) that says "Voluntary Registrant/Applicant" or something to that effect. So you can't sign the application without "voluntarily" registering your purchase...

That's what I meant by move-ins... sorry if not clear.

As for "voluntary"?? Yeah... that...

Only voluntary for people coming in to the state, or anyone who has pre-'96 firearms who haven't been otherwise convinced that they have to be added to the confiscation registration good citizen database

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Interesting...

Revenue is always in their minds and helps them justify, in fact is an integral part of their ideological goals.

The budget is counting on those revenues. It calculates out to about 68,000 HQL applications. Saw somewhere else a budget of approximately $4M, with seed money of $.6M from the state budget. Hey, maybe we could help them run up the deficit next year :D

Sort of proves the point.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012

Correct. Revenue from Retail sales tax, gun shop owners' business income and personal income tax could drop by a greater number than the HQL fees bring in.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think that the OP will have to go through the training portion unless he bought a regulated firearm in MD. Since the Beretta was purchased in Virginia, it may not fulfill the requirement. I could be mistaken however.

The legislation states "Owns a regulated firearm," not "owns a regulated firearm purchased in MD."

DO NOT READ MORE INTO IT THAN WHAT IS THERE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom