• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So is MSP now saying that even if you purchased and have in your possession now a handgun, you still need an HQL after 10/1 to continue possession of the handgun that you currently own?

Keep going. It gets worse...

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    I'm sorry if this had already been asked.

What, exactly, do they mean when they say that if you already legal own a regulated firearm, you are exempt from the training requirement for the HQL?

For example, I "legally own" a pistol - it was given to me by my father in 1983.
    Also, I "legally own" another pistol that I purchased from an out-of-state seller using my C&R FFL.

Neither pistol ever had any Maryland paperwork done, since none was required in either case. I wonder if Maryland will exempt me from the training because I do, in fact, "Legally own" these regulated firearms?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

What, exactly, do they mean when they say that if you already legal own a regulated firearm, you are exempt from the training requirement for the HQL?

For example, I "legally own" a pistol - it was given to me by my father in 1983.
    Also, I "legally own" another pistol that I purchased from an out-of-state seller using my C&R FFL.

Neither pistol ever had any Maryland paperwork done, since none was required in either case. I wonder if Maryland will exempt me from the training because I do, in fact, "Legally own" these regulated firearms?

You can voluntarily register them now or take the training.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    As it stands right now, yes, you will have to get an HQL to get your handgun after Oct 1, even though you purchased it before Oct 1.

And there seemingly is no definitive authority that hada real answer?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    And there seemingly is no definitive authority that hada real answer?

Well, technically, the law says you have to have it (barring all of the excluded entities stated in the law)

I think they had no idea how stretched the wait would become (even though it was 2-3 months when it passed) and didnt write an exception for "span" purchases, because they didn't think of it in their haste.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    That is the current information based on the formal opinion from the AG's office.

Is it safe to assume that there is at least one lawsuit pending seeking clarification on this fustercluck of a "law"?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Yes, you are exempt from the training requirement because you own the above mentioned regulated firearms. There are a lot of folks in the same situation that have regulated firearms pre 1994.

I don't think MSP or the administration has figured out how to deal with these and C&R out of state purchases.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    so on 9/15 they will have classes approved so people that need the training can have it
    all paperwork available
    people to do the checks in required timeframe, ect ect

The MSP is in triage right now. Expecting everyone to be excempted (military, Hunter Education, previously own a regulated firearm).

The instructor website is supposed to be operational for "NRA instructors". The hitch in the giddy up was yesterday's NRA announcement.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    The MSP is in triage right now. Expecting everyone to be excempted (military, Hunter Education, previously own a regulated firearm).

The instructor website is supposed to be operational for "NRA instructors". The hitch in the giddy up was yesterday's NRA announcement.

the flaw is that there are a lot of first time buyers because of 281
    many without exemptions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom