• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Most of you know that I'm more of a handgun guy than a rifle guy but I ran across a very professionally-restored and (I believe) historically-correct Mauser K98k on consignment with matching serial #'s on every part except the rear sight. No Russian capture marks. Has 'ax' for Erma Werke as the factory stamp. The seller is asking $900 which seems fair but, I want to bounce that price off some of the Mauser experts on MDS before pulling the trigger. Looks like it just came out of the factory. Unfortunately, no pics as I didn't have my cell phone with me at the time.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    You can get an honest bolt mismatch k98k for less, a refinish really hurts any collector value, and if it’s restored the numbers may be force matched by whoever did the restoration. Would need pics to say more but for that price I wold save my money if it was me. Ymmv

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    You can get an honest bolt mismatch k98k for less, a refinish really hurts any collector value, and if it’s restored the numbers may be force matched by whoever did the restoration. Would need pics to say more but for that price I wold save my money if it was me. Ymmv

:thumbsup: I appreciate any and all input! Thanks!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

I had heard about that. I don't remember the exact name of the company but I've flirted with the idea of getting a K98k more than a few times and was aware of that. This one kind of looks like it was a project rifle, perhaps, done by a previous owner. Possibly he was a WW II reenactor? It really looks that good.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Be wary of Mitchell Mausers if its one of them. They can look very nice until you get to the details.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Be wary of Mitchell Mausers if its one of them. They can look very nice until you get to the details.

Bingo! That's who it was. I'll get pics and more info if its still available when I'm back there next week. Always wanted a K98k just because of its historical significance. They just look cool and every one I've ever shot was a great shooter.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Yeah Mitchell’s is a well known one. Pics would help a lot. Yeah also nothing wrong with a shooter grade k98k, just as long as it comes at shooter price, for 900 you could get into a nice shooting rifle that also has good collector value

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Bingo! That's who it was. I'll get pics and more info if its still available when I'm back there next week. Always wanted a K98k just because of its historical significance. They just look cool and every one I've ever shot was a great shooter.

I would run unless its cheap (e.g. sub $600). Mitchells did a lot of weird stuff, restamped numbers, sanded stocks, sometimes fitting non k98 bolts. Very pretty but zero collectors value. I know people who have them and they shoot well but its not $900s. You can get a really nice RC or even a original with one or two mismatched non critical parts (e.g., safety toggle or stock but matching bolt and receiver) for that.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I would run unless its cheap (e.g. sub $600). Mitchells did a lot of weird stuff, restamped numbers, sanded stocks, sometimes fitting non k98 bolts. Very pretty but zero collectors value. I know people who have them and they shoot well but its not $900s. You can get a really nice RC or even a original with one or two mismatched non critical parts (e.g., safety toggle or stock but matching bolt and receiver) for that.

Same. There's so much fraud in the when comes to these rifles that it's not worth your time to investigate if you're an amateur like most of us. Personally, a Russian capture means more to me than a "restored" gun.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    If that thing is still there when I get back from Albany, NY at the end of the week, I'll be sure to get some pics of it. There's actually two K98k's there from the same collector. The one I described, which I still think is a personal project/reenactor rifle and a legit pre-war (1938) Luftwaffe-issued model he's asking about $2k for.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    It's been a long time, but I seem to recall Mitchell's being accused of selling refurb'd Yugo M48's marked as K98's.

I would not go overboard for a Mitchell's.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    It's been a long time, but I seem to recall Mitchell's being accused of selling refurb'd Yugo M48's marked as K98's.

I would not go overboard for a Mitchell's.

That would be hard to do. The German K98 is a full length action and the Yugo is an intermediate length action. Nothing is really interchangeable parts wise.
    I would not be surprised if they used Yugo capture rifles. No question they re-stamped the serial #'s to match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom