• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm now going to call the original video bunk after watching this video. Go to 4:40 to see a guy shoot a 50 BMG through a house of playing cards and the house of card never moves, but he's able to shoot the card behind the house of cards.

[YT]YrHpe5Z93wM[/YT]

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    He says it's a 750 grain bullet, and it looks like a Hornady A-Max round to me. If the shot went through the eye sockets of the deer, then I'd suspect there would no expansion and it would pass through without much muscle or bone damage. He also mentions the eyes were blown out of the skull, which could enforce the idea of being shot cleanly through the eye sockets.

It's a Youtube video and not something anyone can substantiate, so it is what it is.

The ballistics gel test verifies this. a doe's skull is what, 5-6 in wide at the eye sockets maybe? Not much happens to the gel the first 6 in or so. Concussion would definitely kill the deer though.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Totally, and just gives the anti-hunt crowd more ammuntion.

Why? Was there a cruel or inhuman death involved? Did he shoot the deer's knee to let the deer die a painful death or prolonged suffering?

This was one of the quickest death's I've seen in a hunting video.

More damage would be made if an anti-hunt crowd watched a deer hunt involving a bow and arrow.

Please explain why you made that statement?

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    For the simply reason that the poor Bambi crowd has a problem thinking logically.

Why? Was there a cruel or inhuman death involved? Did he shoot the deer's knee to let the deer die a painful death or prolonged suffering?

This was one of the quickest death's I've seen in a hunting video.

More damage would be made if an anti-hunt crowd watched a deer hunt involving a bow and arrow.

Please explain why you made that statement?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Folks have done tests on the 'shock-wave from a .50 BMG' theory and found that it won't kick over a solo cup if you miss it by a smidge.

He grazed that does skull somewhere. If he did in fact skin the head, he either missed the small impact mark or he is less than honest about what he found. I am sure he would be the first hunter to tell fish-tales to boost the shares of his youtube channel :)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Folks have done tests on the 'shock-wave from a .50 BMG' theory and found that it won't kick over a solo cup if you miss it by a smidge.

He grazed that does skull somewhere. If he did in fact skin the head, he either missed the small impact mark or he is less than honest about what he found. I am sure he would be the first hunter to tell fish-tales to boost the shares of his youtube channel :)

That “button buck” I shot over the weekend, it actually had a 14 point, 215 inch rack. But my .308 hit it in the chest so hard it knocked the antlers right off it and I couldn’t find them in the dark. That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK, I made an edited video with just the shot and in super slow mo.
    You can clearly see the mist cloud on the OTHER side of the deer's face.
    The mist cloud conforms with the liquid coming out of the opposite eye.
    This is not a "exhaled breath"
    [YT]sFefEovAteo[/YT]

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What was that item that travelled to the left?

No way it was a .50bmg ricochet.

Had to be a part of the deer.

At first, I thought it was deer goo, but now I'm thinking ricochet. Gonna have to look at it on my computer instead of my cellie.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    What was that item that travelled to the left?

No way it was a .50bmg ricochet.

Had to be a part of the deer.

At first, I thought it was deer goo, but now I'm thinking ricochet. Gonna have to look at it on my computer instead of my cellie.

The video quality is so poor, you really can't make it out. I will say it does look as if there's brain or other deer matter being expelled during the shot. Whatever that thing is that goes off to the left is something to consider. I don't think it's a ricochet. There is a second expansion, which I believe may be the bullet hitting something behind the deer.

If the quality was better, it would be easy. However, it's not.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I've slowed down the video some more and looked at it. Some debris also is floating off to the right but that could be something from the ground the deer kicked up.
    There is a tree right past the deer and although I can't tell from the video, some bark may have flown off to the side. A proper analysis would entail examining those trees for damage from the bullet.

The squirrel in the lower right of the frame has cause for a civil suite for trauma caused by the fallen deer.\

The impact on the video is .14s after the recoil jerks the camera. Did he say on the video how far the shot was?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've slowed down the video some more and looked at it. Some debris also is floating off to the right but that could be something from the ground the deer kicked up.
    There is a tree right past the deer and although I can't tell from the video, some bark may have flown off to the side. A proper analysis would entail examining those trees for damage from the bullet.

The squirrel in the lower right of the frame has cause for a civil suite for trauma caused by the fallen deer.

That's just nuts...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I see your BMG and raise you a (what is this thing?)

Attachments

• angrysquirrel.jpg
      angrysquirrel.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 183

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK, firstly, I think he is shooting FMJs(at least at the practice range).

I'm convinced he shot the deer through and through both eyes. If you watch the vid, start at around 3:50. You'll notice a bulge on the deer's frontal lobe. That bulge is not normal. That is a result of a .50 cal bullet passing through its head via the eye sockets and expanding the cranium from the inside.

Secondly, if you watch melnic's slo-mo, you will see a splash in the background just behind the deer. That splash is the bullet impacting the ground. Ignore the snot flying out of the deer's nose. It's just snot.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A 50 bmg isnt that fast. I would like to see the same demo with a 204 Ruger or a 220 swift, bet it would knock the cards down when it went past them. I don't know about the deer head stuff, that's out of my league and hard to wrap one's head around.

Just ask the doe!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    In front of the eye sockets the bone is relatively thin. I mean, not like paper thin, but a lot thinner than the brain case is. It looked like the eyes were intact. Just wondering if maybe it slipped through right at the tear ducts or something.

A modern mystery.

I still remember a talk on gun safety I got from a former marine drill sergeant (about never muzzling anyone, yourself included). He had a recruit in another training company killed during AIT (or whatever the marines call it). M2 jammed on them and he went around the front of the muzzle while his squad mate was trying to clear the jam. Round in the chamber cooked off. Punched most of his armor through is chest and he didn’t survive long enough for a corpsman to get to him less than a minute later.

A .50BMG is not to be toyed with.

No gun is to be toyed with. After watching that video last night, I started watching a couple more about .50 BMG. A moron was shooting a piece of railroad track that was sitting on top of a table. Now, he would only load one road at a time in the mag, shoot it, then pull the bolt back and yell "clear". Thing is, he did not take the mag out of the gun and he did not lock the bolt back. So, he was walking down the range with a .50 BMG pointed at his back and the bolt closed on it. I was actually thinking about that a lot last night, because I am probably headed to Washington County shortly to shoot with a buddy in his backyard range with him and my son. Anyway, figured I would just clear the rifles and point them to the left side of the table as we went around the right side.

Also got me to thinking about waterfowl hunting out of layout blinds. Most people have their shotguns loaded and pointed out toward the decoys. The poor person that has to go and pick up the dropped birds is running in front of all those muzzles.

I almost regret clicking on this thread. Not much good from it, and I seriously doubt that deer's body reacted that way just from the vapor trail of the bullet. If I had to guess, I would guess armor piercing bullet right through both eyes with barely any kinetic energy left in the deer's head. I am just glad he did not shoot the mouth off the deer. I've seen pics of deer missing their lower jaw.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The shock wave is enough to cut a deer in half if it is hit in the right place.

There are 100s of weapons that can be plied in the taking of deer. Why is this one so wrong? Emotion, mostly.

I hate it when people, who would never or could never kill an animal, suggest to me the proper method and tool with which to do it. Emotion.

Some folks here are the 180 degree opposite of fudds. And that is just as bad.

You can kill a deer with an RPG, a mortar, artillery, an A1Abrams, an A10, an F-18, a Tomahawk, a nuke, etc. Does not mean it is the best weapon for the job.

I think .338 Lapua would be the largest cartridge I would use, but I would not un-friend somebody for killing bambi with a .50 BMG. lol

By the way, I get a lot of grief about using .300 Win Mag. The deer do not complain though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom