• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    and one have a good load for deer and coyotes? I primarily use it for foxes and coyotes but haven't started reloading it yet.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    IMR4064 is my go to powder for 22-250
    Hornady 55 gr FMJ over 31.3 grains 2.362”
    Nobler Varmegedon 55 gr FBHP over 31.5 grains 2.35”
    Hornady Z-Max 50 gr ballistic tip over 33.5 grains 2.36”
    These are my pet loads from a 1:12 Savage 11

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    and one have a good load for deer and coyotes? I primarily use it for foxes and coyotes but haven't started reloading it yet.

I'd use Barnes TTSX bullets for deer in a 22-250 to be sure of getting enough penetration and to make sure the bullet stays together. 55 gr TTSX should work great. As for powder, it depends on what the rifle likes with your choice of bullet, brass and primer

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    In the 22-250 (I have sworn off 22-250s in favor of 22-250AIs as I HATE trimming brass and full length sizing), I used to run 65gr Sierra GameKings pushed by an over the limit charge of IMR4064 when specifically going after critters larger than groundhogs. If they are tough enough for red kangaroos and the like, deer are no problem. An excellent projectile is the Nosler 64gr BSB. I do not use it personally but a good friend (also running a 22-250AI) uses it as an all-around deer, yote, or whatever projectile inside 500yd. It's BC isn't stellar and you must consider background issues as it is designed to hold together even at high speeds. It WILL exit deer when driven to the speeds our guns operate at so be warned. The Nosler 60 partition, though I do not use it in my own guns, has proven much more accurate than I expected when loaded for others. I'd start with a middle charge of Varget or IM4064 and work up. Keep the bullet at least .020 off the lands.

On groundhog duty, with only varmint ammo in the bag, I've killed more than a small number of deer using a 40gr Nosler BT to the head or upper neck for damage permit deer. These shots ARE NOT body shots. Varmint bullets are inhumane when used anywhere else. The wounding will be horrific but the animal will expire very slowly if at all. The main reason for these shots is that no edible tissue is damaged and the whole animal may be used or donated.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    In the 22-250 (I have sworn off 22-250s in favor of 22-250AIs as I HATE trimming brass and full length sizing), I used to run 65gr Sierra GameKings pushed by an over the limit charge of IMR4064 when specifically going after critters larger than groundhogs. If they are tough enough for red kangaroos and the like, deer are no problem. An excellent projectile is the Nosler 64gr BSB. I do not use it personally but a good friend (also running a 22-250AI) uses it as an all-around deer, yote, or whatever projectile inside 500yd. It's BC isn't stellar and you must consider background issues as it is designed to hold together even at high speeds. It WILL exit deer when driven to the speeds our guns operate at so be warned. The Nosler 60 partition, though I do not use it in my own guns, has proven much more accurate than I expected when loaded for others. I'd start with a middle charge of Varget or IM4064 and work up. Keep the bullet at least .020 off the lands.

On groundhog duty, with only varmint ammo in the bag, I've killed more than a small number of deer using a 40gr Nosler BT to the head or upper neck for damage permit deer. These shots ARE NOT body shots. Varmint bullets are inhumane when used anywhere else. The wounding will be horrific but the animal will expire very slowly if at all. The main reason for these shots is that no edible tissue is damaged and the whole animal may be used or donated.

Interesting. What twist rate do you have? With 1:14" I've had to push stuff pretty hard over 55 grains to stabilize it and had been using a 50 grain Barnes TSX over 36.5 grains of Varget for crop damage duty myself. It is sufficient for body shots on big doe out to 200 yards and I do get pass throughs. Have not tried head/neck shots with V-maxes but don't really have any over penetration concerns so I figured I'd stay with the TSXs'.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    screwtop, i've got barrels for the Improved chambering in 14, 12, and 9. The TSX is long for its weight. stability is not strictly a function of weight, but length. according to both the Miller math and my own observations, the 55 Nosler ballistic tip is actually marginal in a 14 twist and the 53 vmax is just not happening. both of these tend to be ok when driven to full AI speeds in a true 12 twist but the 53s i believe to still be marginal (just my feeling). In a 9, the 53s shoot VERY well but Ive had enough bullet failures (straight through and throughs with minimal to no fragmentation) that i only shoot them at nonliving targets.

If you have no background issues, stay with the bullet that gives you all-around performance. given the land I hunt, and the tendency of groundhogs to build at the edges of fields, my paranoia dictates a bullet guaranteed to fragment. when used on heads/high necks, the varmint bullets have never failed me. That said, I only take a shot I am 99%certain of making. If i'm out after whistlepigs and a deer presents, I will consider the shot but I'd rather pass than take a bad, rushed, or unsafe shot. I just don't want to risk putting high speed lead into a place it doesn't belong. depending on your topography, and neighbor issues, you may not have these concerns.

The Barnes bullets are a breed I know little of. I tried Vgrenades and when they shot terribly compared to Berger, Nosler, and even Hornady, I wrote barnes off. Don't know how they handle pressure but I have dropped a good bit more than your charge of Varget/4064 into a standard 22-250, never mind the AIs. I suspect that tendency is what accounts for the horrific rate at which tubes burn out.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Thanks for the info and very interesting. I'm down to only one 22-250 at present, an old Mark V Varmintmaster but if I do get another, I've often entertained an AI configuration or the standard chambering with a 1:9 twist.
    I got to whoring around with a .204 and have put that on hold for now but I suspect the urge will resurface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom