• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    What's the list of cheap over/ unders out there? Shot trap once and now I MUST have an O/U :)

Any local places to pick up said models would be helpful as well.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Define cheap o/u and set a price range it will help.

That said, the old buy once cry once thing applies here. You can get a nice CZ new for around $850 or used beretta/browning for around $1-1500. I worked my way to CG and it was a fun road.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You might be better off getting a pump shotgun and getting it fitted properly. The cheaper O/U's seem to have a reputation for not staying together very long. Maybe I'm mistaken; if so I'd be interested in one as well. I know a break-action gun seems to swing a little faster and lighter for me.

ETA: A true trap gun is a single barrel, and generally still not cheap. NEF (H&R) made one but they seem to be hard to come by lately.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Tristar, Dickinson, Baikel and other that are sub $600. Most are good starter guns. If you get hooked, you'll want to move up after the cheaper guns start firing both barrels with one trigger pull. Scares the hell out of you, too... LOL

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    I would wait a bit on the gun. Shoot a couple different ones, save up, and then get what you really like and what feels good. There's also a lot of

As someone who recently got into it myself I'd suggest you go with either semiauto or o/u. Make sure you get one with interchangeable chokes as well.

And last, if you are 100% sure you will do trap only, then usually people prefer longer barrels for trap so maybe consider at least 30" if not 32", but again, I think given that you are new, you should try out wobble, 5-stand, trap, skeet,, and sporting clays. Luckily, the PG County Range as all of these. :)

Here are the ones I was looking at when I first got into trap several months ago.

A couple semi-auto guns with really good reputations for sport shooting that are in the price range of like $500-$900 or so:

Beretta A300 (as mentioned above)
    Remington 1100
    Remington 11-87

The following seem to be the most often recommended "budget" O/Us. By that I mean also somewhere between $500-$900 or so. The reputation for these guns has extreme variance. They are hit or miss in that some people love 'em and some people hate 'em.
    Stoegor Condor
    Mossberg Silver Reserve
    CZ Redhead
    Franchi Instinct

FWIW, I ended up splurging and buying a used Beretta O/U Silver Pigeon, but until then I was leaning heavily towards the CZ.

Last edited:

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I wouldn't be buying any gun after just 1 round of trap. You need to shoot more and find out what you prefer in guns and games. You may end up only shooting sporting clays.
    PG and Loch Raven both rent guns for a nominal fee.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Most "cheap" o/u shotguns don't hold up to a lot of shooting. If you shoot a box a month, OK. If you shoot 8-10 boxes per week, No.
    32" barrels are the norm now unless you are really short. Most dedicated Trap guns (unsingles) are 34"
    The resale value of guns with barrels under 30" is terrible.
    A good O/U will last several lifetimes even with over 5000 rds per year, and retain value and may even appreciate.
    Save your pennies and buy a used B gun.
    Just sold a Beretta Silver Pigeon Clays gun (not the field model) with a Gracoil adjustable comb and 30" barrels for $1600.

ps: Still have a Guerini SC/Skeet gun with tubes in an Americase, and a Browning BT-99 plus out there for sale. Winnowing the field. If I haven't shot it for two years it's gotta go.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Usually you will find some type of bulletin board at most ranges. Keep an eye on that. Someone is always upgrading their firearm and you can swoop in and buy one for a steal. Remember, the stock must fit you and your style of shooting or you'll just be throwing money at the shotgun to make it shoot well.

Good Luck!

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Find a second hand Ruger Red Label. I shot skeet for years with one. You can move up from there is you find you want to stay with it.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Most "cheap" o/u shotguns don't hold up to a lot of shooting. If you shoot a box a month, OK. If you shoot 8-10 boxes per week, No.
    32" barrels are the norm now unless you are really short. Most dedicated Trap guns (unsingles) are 34"
    The resale value of guns with barrels under 30" is terrible.
    A good O/U will last several lifetimes even with over 5000 rds per year, and retain value and may even appreciate.
    Save your pennies and buy a used B gun.
    Just sold a Beretta Silver Pigeon Clays gun (not the field model) with a Gracoil adjustable comb and 30" barrels for $1600.

ps: Still have a Guerini SC/Skeet gun with tubes in an Americase, and a Browning BT-99 plus out there for sale. Winnowing the field. If I haven't shot it for two years it's gotta go.

Where were you 6 months ago?? I'd have bought that in a heartbeat.

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    I can't believe people on a gun board are telling me not to buy another gun.

I have 1187s,A-5s , 930s as well as 870s ,a Ithaca 37 and Mossy 500s ......choices of guns to shoot is not my problem. Kind of boring shooting semi's and pump guns as single shots IMO.

I'm not sure about you guys but a gun purchase is almost never a bad purchase,jus sayin.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    I can't believe people on a gun board are telling me not to buy another gun.

I have 1187s,A-5s , 930s as well as 870s ,a Ithaca 37 and Mossy 500s ......choices of guns to shoot is not my problem. Kind of boring shooting semi's and pump guns as single shots IMO.

I'm not sure about you guys but a gun purchase is almost never a bad purchase,jus sayin.

Your OP made it sound like you were a first time gun owner for some reason. But knowing that you're not, then you should man up and get a used Beretta Silver Pigeon. :) It's a great gun. You can rent them at PG Trap range to check 'em out. You can get it used for like $1500.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    No matter what you get you will want a better one eventually -ought to be able to find something decent for $1200-1500 -checking the bulletin boards at the clubs will find something

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Kind of boring shooting semi's and pump guns as single shots IMO.

Uh.......you don't need a new gun, you need a new game.......Skeet (4 doubles per round), Five Stand (Single, Report Pair, True Pair on each station), Sporting Clays (Singles, Report Pairs, Following Pairs, True Pairs), Doubles Trap.....expand your horizons!!:party29:

Oh yeah, several guns on your list will work just fine........

For the Record:

Report Pair: Call Pull, clay is thrown, you shoot, second clay is thrown
    Following Pair: Call pull, clay is thrown, second clay is thrown after 1-3 seconds
    True Pair: Call Pull, Both Clays are thrown at the same time.

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    My Belgium A-5 is perfect IMO , I just like the way the O/Us looked ...lol.

Knowing myself a cheap O/U will only lead to more expensive ones for sure but I typically have to actually realize the difference myself before I can commit to that..... especially when ive only shot trap once. Not to mention i can somehow always justify a gun purchase. Seriously, doesn't everyone have a normal 1187 ,a super mag 1187 AND a Browning gold 10 ga. and has only been bird hunting 4-5 times? Lol

I'm guessing it would really blow your minds if I said I plan on taking my 10ga. with steel shot to trap next week. :)

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    My Belgium A-5 is perfect IMO , I just like the way the O/Us looked ...lol.

Knowing myself a cheap O/U will only lead to more expensive ones for sure but I typically have to actually realize the difference myself before I can commit to that..... especially when ive only shot trap once. Not to mention i can somehow always justify a gun purchase. Seriously, doesn't everyone have a normal 1187 ,a super mag 1187 AND a Browning gold 10 ga. and has only been bird hunting 4-5 times? Lol

I'm guessing it would really blow your minds if I said I plan on taking my 10ga. with steel shot to trap next week. :)

It would blow my mind if the trap field doesn't have rules prohibiting the use of a 10 gauge

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom