• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MdShooter1

Oct 7, 2020
    Hello, new member here.
    I recently purchased a Henry lever action chambered for 44 mag. It has the standard Henry semi-buckhorn sights. After several sessions at the range, these sights just don’t seem to be working for me. I’m 67 years old, and although my eyes are not bad for my age, I don’t seen to be able to focus the sights properly to be accurate past about 40 yards. I see this gun as a 100 yards or closer gun, and part of it’s appeal to me is as a short range home/personal defense gun, so I really don’t want to put a traditional style scope on it. I’ve read some reviews that say peep sights or Patridge sights would help. I’m also open to any of the latest high tech systems, which I’m just beginning to research. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Recently bought a Marlin 1895G, Marlin 1895GS and Ruger 10/22 TALO International.

All three got Skinner sights. A Skinner Express on 1895G and 10/22 and an Alaskan on 1895GS.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Peep sights are definitely an improvement on focus and accuracy, and agree, those Skinner sights are a real fine upgrade. Well made and look great. The other nice thing being you can pick/adjust the aperture size to what works best for you, so would recommend getting the two larger aperture sizes when you order, then you can see/shoot them all and see what works best. Best accuracy will be with receiver mount, as that gives you the longest sight radius vs the barrel mounted. As far as the front sight goes, my eyes really appreciate fiber optics. Much easier to see than any blade. Shoot your existing sight to see where it's hitting, then Williams Sights can help you determine what the height of your front sight needs to be if you need to change it. On the high tech side, I've never used one, but going with a red dot scope like an aimpoint micro would be a good bet (not the reflex sight like skinner shows). Boddington has shown some pics of him with one taking some animals, and I think it looks pretty cool...doesn't take away from the lever aesthetics quite the way a scope does. And, if you want the option of going either way whenever you want then instead of the Skinner peep, get the Williams "ace in the hole". Peep and picatinny combo....this works well for me.

MdShooter1

Oct 7, 2020
    Thank you to all the responders for the great info! I was already looking at the Skinner sights but it was good to hear some endorsements that didn't come from a dealers website. Thanks 'dink' for the long detailed response, a lot of helpful info. I'll probably start with a Skinner and see how that goes.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I used a Ruger TD in NSSF rimfire challenge matches. I had installed new Tech Sights on it. The rear sight was good for precision, but small thus was slow on speed. Another shooter even recognized it and commented. If you get the Skinner buy a couple apeture sizes so you can change them for precision, or store in ready for your hone defense. Just a suggestion.

Then let us know how it works.

FWIW, I put receiver sights on my Marlin and noticed a very sizable gain in precision.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Skinner Sights , or traditional Lyman or Williams peep . Fiber Optic vs white bead vs gold bead vs a proper Sourdough is personal preference .

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Skinner sights. All day.
    They have been my preferred lever gun sight for over a decade it seems. Quick acquisition, stupid simple install and zero. I have had standards sets, Alaskan, winged, they're all great and a HUGE improvement upon semi-buck's. If I were local I'd let you give some a spin to see. Really can't say enough about the company and the product. The winged set i just purchased is adjustable for both elevation and windage. The windage adjustment is a little clunky but its there if you need it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MdShooter1

Oct 7, 2020
    Thanks for all the great input. Just ordered a Skinner from their website. Also ordered a Hi Viz from through the Henry website. Both sights are compatible with both my Henry rifles. Might have them by the weekend. Can't wait to try them out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Skinner Sights , or traditional Lyman or Williams peep . Fiber Optic vs white bead vs gold bead vs a proper Sourdough is personal preference .

If you view it as an HD gun or need max early and late shooting ability get fiber sights. I am a big fan of the Williams ghost ring sights. I’ve got a set on my muzzle loader and in my 870. Work great.

I’d also consider a red dot for an HD gun, because then you’ve got a sighting system 24hrs a day. Red dots are perfectly fine for 100yds and in.

MdShooter1

Oct 7, 2020
    Just wanted to post a follow up. At least one person wanted to know how this came out. Both sets of sights came in this weekend (Skinner and HI VIZ). I installed them and went to the range. Both sights are compatible with either rifle. I wound up putting the Skinner on the Henry Golden Boy 22 mag, and the HI VIZ on the Henry Big Boy 44 mag. Both are a nice improvement, I won't be going back to the Buckhorns. The Skinner sights are the dovetail barrel mounted version. The 44 mag is also drilled for the receiver version. So you can probably guess my next question. Would the receiver mounted Skinner be much of an improvement over the barrel mounted version? I also have a feeling that at some point I'm going to be trying a RedDot. Even though I'm a fan of the old style lever guns, I also like cool technology. Thanks again to everyone who responded with helpful advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom