• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Last time I picked up some Magpul AR magazines, I mistakenly grabbed the ones that have the windows in the side. Aside from being able to see the ammo level, is there any real difference between the windowed and non-windowed?

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    The ones with Windows seem to lock up allot.

Go with the ones with Apples on them.

Nobody

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If they lock up, just remove them, reload them, and insert them back into the rifle. They will work fine.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I've seen no difference in functionality from windowed vs non. Like you I have both now, not a big deal. I guess windowed helps the "operators" and "mall ninjas" have a visual before tactical reloads lol.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    There is no difference in functionality. However, one does not to be an “operator” or a “mall ninja” to utilize a windowed mag. It is always good to know how many rounds one has in their magazine. Unless you feel having anything but iron sights is also for the “operator/mall ninja” crowd. Let’s make this even more interesting... how do you guys feel about the Lancer clear mags? :)

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    There is no difference in functionality. However, one does not to be an “operator” or a “mall ninja” to utilize a windowed mag. It is always good to know how many rounds one has in their magazine. Unless you feel having anything but iron sights is also for the “operator/mall ninja” crowd. Let’s make this even more interesting... how do you guys feel about the Lancer clear mags? :)

It’s also good if you have 300BLK PMAGs in addition to 5.56 ones. The 300BLK ones don’t have a windowed variety so if you buy them and then only buy windowed ones for 5.56 you can easily tell the difference. Sure you could get FDE mags for 5.56 but some people prefer the black magazines.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    The purpose of a "windowed" mag (if the window is at the front), is to allow the loading of rounds with a longer COAL. I can load and fire 224V loads that are 2.340". I have not had any feeding issues with my (homemade) window mags.

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Yet someway somehow the USMC only approved the windowed ones as opposed to the non-windowed ones...

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Possibly due to their wonderful experiences with Chauchat auto-rifles in WW1. :)

FYI, the 3006 Chauchat did not have a window mag and it was version that did not work... :)

The best thing to do is buy metal mags. Plastic sucks and will not last long term. Buy good Colt or Circle K mags and then you don't have to worry about getting with window or without.

My suggestions with any magpul product you are thinking about buying... Pick it up, look at it, put it back, buy another superior brand product of which I guarantee there to be many. That is unless you were that guy who volunteered to play with the Ken Doll of your sisters and you need some accessories like he did and they need to look trendy and pretty and be color coordinated... then go for the magpul accessory. I suggest the M-lok tampon holder... Ok, sorry thats maybe a bit to much but I could not resist... rant over:)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, MILLIONS of MagPul mags sold and used. Many to combat troops.

Where are all the complaints and issues?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Disclaimer: when I reference polymer mags in this comparison, I mean pmags and Lancers. If you buy like... promags or ETS magazines, you've got what's coming to you.

The best thing to do is buy metal mags. Plastic sucks and will not last long term.

I disagree with this as a blanket statement.

First of all, to the best of my knowledge, Colt does not make magazines anymore, if they ever did to begin with. They buy marked mags from Okay Industries. Paying the Colt tax makes no sense. You also don't know if they're going to switch their OEMs, which I would not put past Colt given their history of being stupid.

Second, I disagree on the reliability front. Metal mags go down SO easily. You dent the body in one - which is not that hard if you step on it - and they stop working correctly and are difficult to recover without very specific tools. pmags and Lancers do not suffer from this problem, which is why they are so much more reliable in real world use.

Finally, good metal mags are VERY specific. You named Okay Industries, which is good. So is Brownells. Everyone else tends to be suspect. I watched a dude in a carbine class next to me running metal mags - unusual! - and he had constant problems with them feeding correctly.

There's a time and a place for everything, including metal mags. I do use them on guns with tight magwells. If I was doing most of my shooting is off a bench or I'm babying them, metal mags will probably last. If I am actually running and gunning - which happens with more and more frequency these days for me - there's no way you could make me pick metal over pmags or Lancers.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    The best thing to do is buy metal mags. Plastic sucks and will not last long term. Buy good Colt or Circle K mags and then you don't have to worry about getting with window or without.
    GI mags aren't meant to be long term. They are a disposable item in a war zone. Magpul is much higher quality than my Colt issued tin mags. Why do you think so many troops have purchased magpul instead of using the free GI mags?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom