• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    So i was really interested in knowing the sound difference between .22lr normal velocity/high velocity/subsonic/short cb caps.

I purchased a box of remington subsonics, used some of my federal bulk pack .22lr standards, cci hyper velocity, and some cci cb shorts.

Firing the standards back to back with the sub sonics, i was wowed with the difference in sound. It is like firing a high powered pellet rifle quite literally.

I then popped a few of the cb shorts and it was literally dead silent minus the action of the gun.

So bottom line, sub sonics will do my vermin/pest duties around my house. they seem to be accurate as standard or hyper velocity ammo at least to 25 yards.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The Remington sub-sonics shoot very well in my suppressed 10/22 and they're good for about 1/2-3/4" groups at 50 and 1-1/2" groups at 100 if there is no wind. In the suppressed barrel, they are very much *quieter* than an air rifle. They chronograph about 1,005 to 1,050, depend on ambient temps.

Using CCI Mini-Mags in the un-ported suppressor barrel, the suppressor kills the "report" but the super-sonic "'crack" alone out in front of the gun is loud enough to warrant ear protection. The "crack" seems to be at least half of the total noise signature of the unsuppressed Mini-Mags.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Good to know. I want to get a .22lr suppressor and need to start ordering some subsonic ammo. I've always gotten good results from the Aguila rimfire ammo, so I might order some from AIM to try out.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Good to know. I want to get a .22lr suppressor and need to start ordering some subsonic ammo. I've always gotten good results from the Aguila rimfire ammo, so I might order some from AIM to try out.

Why don't you ask Jeep-especially if you're going with whatever he suggests for the can? From my understanding, some of the subsonics may not cycle the suppressed action. I believe he shoots std velocity in his suppressed rifle.

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    I didn't have good luck with the Rem. subsonics in my suppressed 10/22. They would only cycle it 3-4 out of 10. Its an AWC which is a ported integral suppressor. They may cyle the non-ported better. The AWC has ports about 4-5 inches into the barrel to lower the pressure. This slows high velocity ammo into a subsonic speed. If I remember correctly they were in the 700-750 fps range, but didn't cycle the action reliably enough for me. I found that every once in a while I would get a loud one as if the powder charges were not uniform.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I use only PMC Moderators (38-grain subsonic hollow points) in my Henry, they're dead-to-nuts accurate. I don't know if this is true of other subsonic bullets, but it may well be, since they don't suffer from the instability of going from supersonic to subsonic. I'm going to try some Rem subsonics to find out.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Messing around I fired some subsonics out of my .22 rifle and I noticed the Remington and I think it was CCI subsonics I shot were inconsistent. Some gave a supersonic crack and other rounds did not. This was years ago though and my memory may be a little flawed.
    I also fired some RWS and they all fired the same without one supersonic crack and I remember this clearly. Those Swiss make damn good ammo!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The Aquilla extra heavy bullet .22 sucks unless you have the proper twist in your rifle. I bought some out of novelty and those really long bullets and fired them at short distance out of a rifle, seemed like they keyholed a lot.
    Read good things about other Aguilla though.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The Wal-Mart near me sells Remington Subsonics, as well as CCI CB .22 shorts, which are rated for 710 fps.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Messing around I fired some subsonics out of my .22 rifle and I noticed the Remington and I think it was CCI subsonics I shot were inconsistent. Some gave a supersonic crack and other rounds did not. This was years ago though and my memory may be a little flawed.
    Your memory is likely accurate on this subject.

At 1,050 FPS, perhaps more from your rifle, this ammo can be right on the edge of the sub-sonic/super-sonic threshhold, which will vary with temperature/atmospheric conditions. Chances are your rifle sends them a little faster, and prevailing air density allowed some of them to be super-sonic and thus render the "crack".

The Aquilla extra heavy bullet .22 sucks unless you have the proper twist in your rifle. I bought some out of novelty and those really long bullets and fired them at short distance out of a rifle, seemed like they keyholed a lot.
    Yes, they do require a fast twist for best results, and dedicated barrels run between 1:8 and 1:10, vs. the average 1:16 in a regular .22 LR.

The 60 SSS are NOT recommended for suppressed guns unless they do have a fast-twist barrel, due to the possibility of baffle strikes.

rob b

c@r collecting
    the rem subsonic ammo is great stuff
    I use them near a housing devolopment for squirrels about 400 yards from the closest house and nobody has ever complained to the landowner or police
    they do sound alot like a high powered air rifle and I was impressed with there accuracy but they arent much good beyond 45 yards
    cant say much for the other ammo mentioned
    although I did pick up a box of cci velocitor ammo but have not shot it yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom