• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Why not just point it at MDShooters.com or even the WV forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    stupid question but could it be like a copy of MDShooters in look and feel- sort of a symbiotic way? Not that MDS would own it but imitation is the sincerest for of flattery.

I would love to see offshoots of MDS in a lot of states :) mds.com/WV... /VT/ etc. I guess it is because I love how action packed MDS is.. AR15 is ok but I see too many aholes there...

Not a stupid question and in fact that’s my plan. Minor modifications but I intend to use the forum/sub forum lineup from here as a guide. I need to dig in and get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I need to dig in and get started.

Drop a PM if you need a place to host that. Could work something out on a virtual server in my universe (I run a custom hosting operation here in the area) that could have an off-the-radar URL and hard IP and even an SSL cert during dev. Nothing like a 2A-friendly hosting company, right? Right!

I know, this sounds a lot like using the forum to advertise. Not really my intention - just like to see gun-related businesses thrive, the more the merrier, and like doing business with like-minded folks (even if I'm still on the MD side of the Potomac for now!). WV is kinda calling to me, though, so I'm paying attention to this thread for multiple reasons. Good luck!

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    It would be great for an IP that's a dentist. I kid of course. I love WV.

I know car forums that share a few sub forums with other car forums. Makes for interesting conversation. That would make more sense as a community that exercises a right in addition to a hobby.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Any legal issues hosting a WV forum on a server in MD?

With very, VERY few exceptions, the where's-the-server issue for US-based businesses simply doesn't exist. A lot of the sites you visit are hosted on multiple servers spread across multiple datacenters on both coasts and somewhere in flyover country. I rack up my equipment in a facility in NoVa (where a LOT of the internet lives), while I do most of my admin work while sitting in sweatpants in MoCo for clients in, well, everywhere. Really doesn't matter.

There are some potential sales tax ramifications for the location of the client using the hosting. Complex topic, but pretty insignificant compared to the relatively modest costs of something like this. For operations that use five figures (or more) of custom managed hosting every month ... where I am (as I provide managed services and consulting on it), where the client is (as they get invoiced), and where the equipment sits (as I pay for it and the connectivity to it) start to matter. It's hard to say how much horsepower and storage a young-but-growing new forum site like the prospective one in question would actually use. Not much at all early in its life, that's for sure.

The main issue with a site like this or other social-media-ish places is that the content the users post can draw the scrutiny and sometimes hair-trigger ban hammer actions of a larger public-cloud style platform (like Azure or AWS) or other scaled-up operation like Rackspace or GoDaddy etc. That's where boutique operations step in, with admin/support people who personally communicate with the content's owners and take no rash steps when end users make things complicated. That's where 2A-friendly hosting is something of a niche business.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Drop a PM if you need a place to host that. Could work something out on a virtual server in my universe (I run a custom hosting operation here in the area) that could have an off-the-radar URL and hard IP and even an SSL cert during dev. Nothing like a 2A-friendly hosting company, right? Right!

I know, this sounds a lot like using the forum to advertise. Not really my intention - just like to see gun-related businesses thrive, the more the merrier, and like doing business with like-minded folks (even if I'm still on the MD side of the Potomac for now!). WV is kinda calling to me, though, so I'm paying attention to this thread for multiple reasons. Good luck!

I’d be open to that. Just need to know how to get my domain and site build from GoDaddy to another hosting solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I'm just chiming in to keep informed, I'll join this new one too (could give me reasons to get out to WV once in a while!)

SFMF

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom