• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    While doing paperwork on a Walther PPQ 45 yesterday, John at GymRatz Nutrition showed me a new FN 509. It looks like it'll be available for sale to MD residents as of June 12th.

The pistol feels nice. Good balance. Great trigger. Good ergonomics. Went looking for more info when I got back home and stumbled across a new Hickok45 video about it. LOL I don't think I've ever seen him start a video like that?

There are some really, really nice pistols out there for around $500 and this will be one I seriously consider adding to the collection.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    As an fns owner, I'll advise you to look out for two things. First is the availability of magazines. Second is availability of aftermarket parts. If you're happy with a tiny supply of either, they make great guns.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    FN is making some great firearms right now. Were you able to get a price point that this handgun may be sold at?

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I've already dumped money into the Beretta Apx and the Remington Rp9 this year. The FN is gonna have to be a pass. Looks like it might be a good gun.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The 1 I handled the trigger was awful! ! I wasn't that impressed with the gun for the money ( which is sad because before I handled it I was certain that I was going to purchase 1) :-(

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I really like my fns, it's true there is pretty limited aftermarket support but I was able to find extra magazines and a holster pretty easily. hopefully it comes with three mags like the fns

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    FN is making some great firearms right now. Were you able to get a price point that this handgun may be sold at?

I think around $470-475?

The 1 I handled the trigger was awful! ! I wasn't that impressed with the gun for the money ( which is sad because before I handled it I was certain that I was going to purchase 1) :-(

I thought it was pretty decent. Better than a Sig P320; not quite as crisp as a Walther PPQ but definitely 'above average' compared to other striker-fired pistols I've handled. I think it'll be a tough one to beat for under $500. I was pretty hyped about buying a CZ P-10 but I think I'll get the FN 509 first.

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    Mag compatibility is the issue I have. It's bad enough my FNS and FNX take different mags, the 509 has it own mags also.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I think around $470-475?

I thought it was pretty decent. Better than a Sig P320; not quite as crisp as a Walther PPQ but definitely 'above average' compared to other striker-fired pistols I've handled. I think it'll be a tough one to beat for under $500. I was pretty hyped about buying a CZ P-10 but I think I'll get the FN 509 first.

My Sig P320 is nothing to brag about in the trigger dept. Now the Beretta APX is outstanding trigger and grip! and someone on here said they found them thru a MD dealer for $460.00 . The hk , Walter, and Steyr also have a nice trigger. The steyr in my opinion being the best of the 3 ( I have all 3). I see those on gun broker for $399.00 and up.I love FN's! But this 1 won't become part of my collection without some improvements.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    My Sig P320 is nothing to brag about in the trigger dept. Now the Beretta APX is outstanding trigger and grip! and someone on here said they found them thru a MD dealer for $460.00 . The hk , Walter, and Steyr also have a nice trigger. The steyr in my opinion being the best of the 3 ( I have all 3). I see those on gun broker for $399.00 and up.I love FN's! But this 1 won't become part of my collection without some improvements.

I'll tell you what, two years ago you couldn't have given me a polymer frame striker-fired pistol. Now, I can't imagine not owning several because they just keep getting better and we, the consumers, are the beneficiaries in terms of price and performance.

I figure, anything that FN submits for testing/adoption by the military has got to be pretty darn good.

Last edited:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Since I can only afford one a year the 509 or CZ P10C is going to be my next purchase.

While not my favorite firearms I enjoy both of my FNS's and carry the FNS Compact daily.

Aftermarket doesn't matter to me as long as I can get sights. The FNS comes with 3 magazines and holsters for everything are out there.

I do not like how FN moves on quickly from firearms. They went from the FNX to the FNS and now 509 and it doesn't appear FN plans on supporting their old platforms.

If that's a main concern get a Glock.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I checked out a 509 and APX at the same time. APX felt much better, but I didn't like it as much as the VP9. I've narrowed my next handgun to the VP9 or the P10C. I haven't held the P10C yet. The 509 in my eyes fell short on the ergos.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Isn't this Pistol as a result of not making the Army's Choice...i.e. the APX Now 509?

I know the APX was because it is modular, so maybe there is more to come out with the 509?

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    While doing paperwork on a Walther PPQ 45 yesterday, John at GymRatz Nutrition showed me a new FN 509. It looks like it'll be available for sale to MD residents as of June 12th.

. I like the PPQ 45 as well, didn't have enough time over XMAS holiday to shoot it but I will be home soon in June so hope to get some rnds dwn range...

GunMag Warehouse has the 12 rnd mags...

I've been looking into Mag Extensions and when I find some I will postem up...

I know APEX has a Trigger for the 45...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I like the PPQ 45 as well, didn't have enough time over XMAS holiday to shoot it but I will be home soon in June so hope to get some rnds dwn range...

GunMag Warehouse has the 12 rnd mags...

I've been looking into Mag Extensions and when I find some I will postem up...

I know APEX has a Trigger for the 45...

My 5" PPQ in 9mm is such a tack-driver, I bought the PPQ 45 without even trying it. That's how much I like the Walther striker-fired pistols. ajviera cerakoted and installed an Apex trigger in his. I think it looks extremely cool:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=208138&highlight=walther

But considering the last FN product I owned was a late-70's model Browning Hi Power, I think it's time to get a 509 and/or the compact version of it whenever it comes out.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    My 5" PPQ in 9mm is such a tack-driver, I bought the PPQ 45 without even trying it. That's how much I like the Walther striker-fired pistols. ajviera cerakoted and installed an Apex trigger in his. I think it looks extremely cool:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=208138&highlight=walther

But considering the last FN product I owned was a late-70's model Browning Hi Power, I think it's time to get a 509 and/or the compact version of it whenever it comes out.

Yep, thats who I was referencing on the Trigger, I did find some Mag Extions for the PPQ 9 and 45 waiting on an email response...I will post when answered...

http://taylorfreelance.com/shopping...ndex&cPath=9&zenid=toehb4os4mpe5ivuo9t92427i1

Walther http://shop.springerprecision.com/c...FE51FF22FFEF9D2.p3plqscsfapp001?categoryId=50

walther http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/base-pad-kit-for-ppq/

I also have a FNX 45, so the 509 is on the list though I need to handle it before I decide...

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Yep, thats who I was referencing on the Trigger, I did find some Mag Extions for the PPQ 9 and 45 waiting on an email response...I will post when answered...

http://taylorfreelance.com/shopping...ndex&cPath=9&zenid=toehb4os4mpe5ivuo9t92427i1

Walther http://shop.springerprecision.com/c...FE51FF22FFEF9D2.p3plqscsfapp001?categoryId=50

walther http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/base-pad-kit-for-ppq/

I also have a FNX 45, so the 509 is on the list though I need to handle it before I decide...

Great find. If the mag is already +10, can I modify it?

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Great find. If the mag is already +10, can I modify it?

As far as I know the only issue I found with some of the Mag Ext I found is that if you have a 10rndr they my not work.

I know with the CZ P07 10 rnd mags won't take the extensions.

I haven't really delved into these yet just reading up...but I plan to maximize capacity were I can...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom