• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Pretty sure steel was the original for that vintage, later ones like mine had plastic. Yours looks to be a very nice original unmolested survivor, what ever you do don't mess with it.

A lot of vintage gun lovers would love to have an early one in that condition in their collection.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Pretty sure steel was the original for that vintage, later ones like mine had plastic. Yours looks to be a very nice original unmolested survivor, what ever you do don't mess with it.

A lot of vintage gun lovers would love to have an early one in that condition in their collection.
    I collect old military rifles, colt BP and SAA, 1911s. Just never so much shotguns. I came across this because an acquaintance was selling his grandfather’s gun and i bought it. If a gun can be elegant, this one is. Long and lean. I would not monkey with it.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I bough a Model 97 and a model 12 off of Guns International, same seller. I paid $630.00 for both shipped to my FFL. Both had their barrels cut to 20” due to corrosion.
    With over a 1 million m97’s and over 2 million m12’s made, few are worth more than $300-$400 each.
    jm $0.02 worth of information.

Last edited:

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I bough a Model 97 and a model 12 off of Guns International, same seller. I paid $630.00 for both shipped to my FFL. Both had their barrels cut to 20” due to corrosion.
    With over a 1 million m97’s and over 2 million m12’s made, few are worth more than $300-$400 each.
    jm $0.02 worth of information.

UM, any Mil, PD, 16ga, skeet, take down, unmolested and 100 other things I forgot.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    All 12 gauge Model 1897’s are chambered in 2 3/4” . As noted below this was an improvement from the Model 1893 that John Browning designed.

Improvements from the 1893 (12ga 2 5/8”)
    While designing the new Model 1897, many of the weaknesses present in the earlier Model 1893 were taken into account and remedied.[3] These improvements included:

The frame was strengthened and made longer to handle a 12 gauge ​2 3⁄4-inch shell, as well as the ​2 5⁄8-inch shell

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1897

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I had a few discussions with Chuckeroo of the Damascus Widelife Rangers about the M97’s.
    If you contact him I’m sure he would have no problems answering your questions. He is the one who told me about the model changes 1893 vs 1897.
    The model 1893 was made in 12 gauge only with a
    2 5/8” chamber.

http://www.damascusiwla.org/dwr/tvd.html

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think if you drop a chamber gauge in it you may find that it is a touch short, unless it has had the forcing cone relieved. All this means is that plastic hulls may unfold into the forcing cone slightly increasing pressure and tearing the crimp some when it has become unfolded. Shot shells of that era were paper or sometimes brass with an overshot card so it was a non issue.
    The proof in the pudding will be how it prints and a nice sharp recoil. Usually the first thing to go was the stock at the wrist, that's why its hard to find one that isn't cracked or been replaced over the million or so that were manufactured.
    Beautiful shotgun and good grab.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    The difference in the paper and plastic hulls may be true.
    Of the hundreds of shells that I have shot (in both my M97 and M12) the only problem encountered was the FTE’s in the M12, where the hull separated from the brass. I contributed that to be from using cheap ammo, and not from the gun itself. I have had no problems when using a better brand shell. The M97 was made in 1931 and the M12 was made in 1939.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom