• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm guessing, MD will wait 1 minute before the courts close to file for an extension. :sad20:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    breaking news

MD has realized that they are wrong and that normal civilians have a right to protect themselves just like people with money or government connections do. They forfeit. :lol2: :lol: :lol2: :lol: :lol2:

Oh yeah, and they realized that their gun laws are idiotic and reversed the 20+ round mag "ban" as well as the assault weapons regulations. :lol2:

Oh but you can only carry concealed if a heavy barrel.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    MD has realized that they are wrong and that normal civilians have a right to protect themselves just like people with money or government connections do. They forfeit. :lol2: :lol: :lol2: :lol: :lol2:

Oh yeah, and they realized that their gun laws are idiotic and reversed the 20+ round mag "ban" as well as the assault weapons regulations. :lol2:

Oh but you can only carry concealed if a heavy barrel.

Slow day in your mother's basement?

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    It's called "The Police", and while a good number of them will not care, enough will to make a problem.

Agreed, but it is still "cat herding". Yes, you get a few, but a few scurry around behind you, and when you aren't looking others pop the cage door open and run... kinda like crackheads.

They didn't want to say something we can turn around on them in court later. For them to acknowledge the issue means they can be shown to be willfully holding back or ignoring it.

Oh, believe you me, they telegraphed that intent a MILE a friggin' away. Like I said, during the review the MDSP started to launch, as soon as the word "Second" rolled out of my lips, and the lawyer on the panel pointed and looked at him, without saying a word, with that parental STFU look.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    To draw out the clock in general. As far as strategy goes, these cases are all filed in parallel in multiple circuits. There are a lot of reasons to do that, but one thing it does do is limit the "distributed experimentation" that the defendants/government can perform. So while not in perfect sync, these cases make it hard for MD to revise their arguments based on arguments already assessed by another court. As far as a defense "theory", they are flying a little blind in terms of jurisprudence.

We, on the other hand, have our theory and are looking to test it. If it doesn't work we can try another. They are somewhat limited in their response.

A good trial lawyer can come along and point out other reasons they want to draw it out (more time means more arguments, an alternate court, or a favorable decision in another circuit to rely on), but in the end the words "just because" also come to mind for me.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Agreed, but it is still "cat herding". Yes, you get a few, but a few scurry around behind you, and when you aren't looking others pop the cage door open and run... kinda like crackheads.

I think you just called cops "crackheads". That takes LEO-bashing to a new level here on the forum. You win. :)

Oh, believe you me, they telegraphed that intent a MILE a friggin' away. Like I said, during the review the MDSP started to launch, as soon as the word "Second" rolled out of my lips, and the lawyer on the panel pointed and looked at him, without saying a word, with that parental STFU look.

MD does not recognize the Second Amendment. It simply does not exist in our state. At least, it did not prior to June 28. So all the laws they are using against you are codified with no rights in existence. You cannot argue 2A because it is invisible.

Acknowledging the 2A in your hearing gives rise to a new set of challenges. Once they start arguing the facets of the 2A, they acknowledge the right exists.

Of course, this is all theater. The right does exist in MD, but it is not codified or acknowledged (doesn't need to be under federal civil rights law). The real issue we have is that 2A is not defined in this case anywhere in the nation. There is simply no recognition of the right to bear arms in public, outside of a few state Constitutions.

MD is almost surely going to argue the right does not exist. That means they are not going to debate it with you in a venue subject to external interpretation.

My guesses.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    I think you just called cops "crackheads". That takes LEO-bashing to a new level here on the forum. You win. :)

MD does not recognize the Second Amendment. It simply does not exist in our state. At least, it did not prior to June 28. So all the laws they are using against you are codified with no rights in existence. You cannot argue 2A because it is invisible.

Acknowledging the 2A in your hearing gives rise to a new set of challenges. Once they start arguing the facets of the 2A, they acknowledge the right exists.

Of course, this is all theater. The right does exist in MD, but it is not codified or acknowledged (doesn't need to be under federal civil rights law). The real issue we have is that 2A is not defined in this case anywhere in the nation. There is simply no recognition of the right to bear arms in public, outside of a few state Constitutions.

MD is almost surely going to argue the right does not exist. That means they are not going to debate it with you in a venue subject to external interpretation.

My guesses.

No, silly, I was comparing cats to crackheads. Hard to catch, as they scurry about. The cops have a hard time catching them, and when they do the courts let them out...

Anyway, whenever I made my closing remarks, I specifically stated that in previous cases, whereby permits were denied for "good and substantial" reasons, the case "Onderdonk vs. the Review Board has always been cited. In that case, the line that they always point to is where the State has clearly claimed that the 14th Amendment does not allow for the 2A to carry directly through to the State. I then read Supreme Court Justice, Samuel Alito's certiorari opinion whereby he clearly states that the 2A DOES transfer to the states.

In previous denials, the Review Board has addressed such ascertions, again, citing Onderdonk. This time, however, they just plain BYPASSED.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    No, silly, I was comparing cops to cats to and silly crackheads. Hard to catch, as they scurry about. The cops have a hard time catching them, and when they do the courts let them out...

Anyway, whenever I made my closing remarks, I specifically stated that in previous cases, whereby permits were denied for "good and substantial" reasons, the case "Onderdonk vs. the Review Board has always been cited. In that case, the line that they always point to is where the State has clearly claimed that the 14th Amendment does not allow for the 2A to carry directly through to the State. I then read Supreme Court Justice, Samuel Alito's certiorari opinion whereby he clearly states that the 2A DOES transfer to the states.

In previous denials, the Review Board has addressed such ascertions, again, citing Onderdonk. This time, however, they just plain BYPASSED.

That's an interesting change. Almost like they are setting up for the time when Onderdunk is overturned so they can avoid an automatic granting of all that has come before. Maybe they saw the numbers here who said they would apply post-McDonald and don't want the deluge of automatic approvals that would come after. Or...they know it's wrong and don't want to extend the injustice - meaning they just invented a new form of injustice that we have not complained about yet.

And I agree, cops are like silly crackhead cats.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    Besides Onderdonk, cases against the MD Handgun board:

Williams v MD

Scherr v. Handgun Permit Review Bd 2005

Snowden v Handgun Permit Review Board 1980

Onderdonk v. Handgun Permit Review Board, 1979

Thanks to Kharn...

EDIT: Nothing on PACER as of 13:52.

Yes, I think the Scherr case even points to Onderdonk? Anyway, they conveniently just left that whole thing alone. When the MDSP asked at the end, "So, we are not even going to address the 2A issue", the lawyer abruptly stated, "No, we are not", or something to that effect.

That's an interesting change. Almost like they are setting up for the time when Onderdunk is overturned so they can avoid an automatic granting of all that has come before. Maybe they saw the numbers here who said they would apply post-McDonald and don't want the deluge of automatic approvals that would come after. Or...they know it's wrong and don't want to extend the injustice - meaning they just invented a new form of injustice that we have not complained about yet.

And I agree, cops are like silly crackhead cats.

Yes, I got that sense that either they didn't want to give me any ammo, or they viewed me as some sort of 2A spy, "pinging" at their perimeter defense.

(Cops and crackheads) Your words, not mine.:lol2:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Scherr points heavily to Onderdunk, Cruikshank and Presser. Interestingly it also addresses a future in which 2A is fundamentally recognized via substantive due process under the 14th. The critical fault in that judgment is that they never entertained the idea that the incorporation would define "self protection" as the core of the right theoretically incorporated. At the time Scherr was argued, the NRA ran the world and they were all about hunting. So the Court didn't address it.

Scherr v Hangun Permit Review Board said:
    "While Scherr does not explicitly identify any fundamental right or liberty that was violated and that was protected by the right of substantive due process, he presumably contends that the right to wear, carry, or transport a handgun is a 'fundamental right.' Scherr fails, however, to offer any support for this implied contention."

Scherr argued that personal self-defense was enough, though he did so in the guise of specific threats against apprehended danger from certain circumstance and "society at large." He argued that self-defense was a fundamental right.

The MD Court of Appeals laughed at him for suggesting such a crazy idea in a one-liner that sums up why Heller was so important, "Appellant’s argument is non-meritorious."

Hoping we get the last laugh.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    MOTION TO DISMISS

09/20/2010 8 MOTION to Dismiss by Denis Gallagher, Seymour Goldstein, Terrence Sheridan, Charles M. Thomas, Jr. Responses due by 10/7/2010 (Attachments:
    # 1 Memorandum in Support of Motion to Dismiss,
    # 2 Exhibit A (November 12, 2009 Handgun Permit Review Board Decision),
    # 3 Text of Proposed Order)(Fader, Matthew) (Entered: 09/20/2010)

I'll have all uploaded to the Internet Archive later...until then.

Attachments

• 8-main.pdf
      8.5 KB · Views: 141
    • 8-1.pdf
      106.9 KB · Views: 134
    • 8-2.pdf
      136.8 KB · Views: 123
    • 8-3.pdf
      5.8 KB · Views: 119
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread