• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Reserve with a lower than reserve starting bid, allows the seller to sell to the high bidder, even if the bidding does not reach the reserve.

Starting bid at the "reserve" price, means NO bids below the starting price. And you OFTEN get no bids at all.

FIFY

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Minus one transaction where the seller shipped me an SKS with a broken stock, I’ve had positive experiences with GB. If the prices are better at local shops, I’ll buy there. Case in point, I just bought something from GymRatz and they were priced as good or better than GB. If you’re looking for something that’s been discontinued then you need to forget about Walmart prices from 10 years ago. Market prices are the price - look at the latest completed auction for pricing guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Yeah GB is sweet and sour.

Sweet - You can find yourself in single bid situations, that net you a very low price.

Sour - The whole find an FFL have them send the data to the seller, back and forth on email, then the +$50-$75 to the price in order to ship and FFL transfer fees.

Add to that I use USPS Money Orders, and that holds the whole thing up even longer.

I use GB when I cannot find what I want locally for the price I think is fair.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My main three go-to sites for guns and gun-related items are RiverOfGuns, Gunbroker, and reddit. (If I was still trying to buy wacky NFA stuff, I'd add Sturmgewehr to the list, too.) I spend a lot less time on GB now that cdisales is gone (RIP - their warehouse burned down, lots of milsurp treasures lost), but you sometimes find stuff on there that you're just not going to see anywhere else. I bought my SU-16D9 off there for less than the cost of a PLR-16, which was just a phenomenal deal, because I assume the dealer just wanted it gone; I got an IWI Barak for like $350, which is basically unobtainium in terms of collectors items.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Back in the day before GunBroker you could just ask your FFL to "check around" and the good ones would..Don't they have a service like used auto parts dealers?

Those were the days and they are gone, My go to shop in Hagerstown
    had a pawn shop in the back, when Cat moved out of Hagerstown? is was
    when the guns started being pawned, "good guns" Brownings, Weatherby,
    Win 101's, Colt Python's, etc. but yeah would go in there on Fridays (payday)
    ask about this gun and that gun, they would throw the catalogs on the Counter
    and say have at it, HK was dealer direct, Springfield Armory (Reese Brothers),
    went to Waynesboro, there was a shop (mainly bow shop) had cases of Smith's
    and Colt's (cheap) well several came home with me, only problem back then
    was Md. had a 7 day "cooling off" period so had to wait some time..and of course
    they had real jobs, with different schedules each week, and everyday life so they
    are no more... back in the day....

-Rock

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I bought one about a year or so ago. I think I paid $550 or $600 for it. It is a 96/22 (22LR). They are basically a 10/22 with a lever action. Very fun and accurate to shoot. Short lever throw compared to my other lever guns. They take the BX mags too.

If you really want one you may want to get that one you saw for $600.00. Like others have said, once they stopped making them the demand went up and most people are not going to let them go cheap. I've bought a couple of guns that I thought I paid too much for, but a year or two later I'm glad I did.

Attachments

• IMG_20171111_065413583.jpg
      IMG_20171111_065413583.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 177

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Banks are required by law to treat USPS money orders as CASH. They can of course BS you if you are inclined to be gullible

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    So let me get this straight. You want to buy a firearm for the same price they originally sold them for, except they stopped making and selling them? Well, several very important lessons here. 1 is called inflation. 2 is called buy it when you see it. 3 is called demand inflates price. 4 is build a time machine and go back in time to when these were being produced and buy one ... Otherwise no one would pay over $100 for a Garand, $20 for a revolver & aught3's, $400 for full auto, $100 for a mosin, $5 for a colt army, etc... Just be realistic or wait till one falls in your lap for the price you want, which may be never.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Banks are required by law to treat USPS money orders as CASH. They can of course BS you if you are inclined to be gullible

I am not sure where the gullible part is.... I have been told by several they hold them... I can either argue, choose a different vendor, try to bid elsewhere etc. All this adds to the "hassle" of GunBroker. I would rather they just hold them then trying to find someone who doesn't. The waiting game is just a part of the hassle. Not big enough on it's own to discard GB.

However I will tell you, likely won't use them again. That and I have no room in the safe.....

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    Back when times were more difficult for gun purchases, GB served a useful function: to give alternatives to the local gun shop's exorbitant price gouging.

Who can forget the days of the $1600 AR or the $1400 AK? Not so good times, but at least one could buy an AK rifle back then.

Auction sites help increase supply so demand locally might not be so high. Deals can be had, but patience and discipline rewards the persistent. Otherwise, your time is better spent elsewhere.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you're looking for bargains, misspelled model names make for interesting finds. Because a Pinter Browning Superimposed isn't a real thing, but some folks can't spell.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am not sure where the gullible part is.... I have been told by several they hold them... I can either argue, choose a different vendor, try to bid elsewhere etc. All this adds to the "hassle" of GunBroker. I would rather they just hold them then trying to find someone who doesn't. The waiting game is just a part of the hassle. Not big enough on it's own to discard GB.

However I will tell you, likely won't use them again. That and I have no room in the safe.....

You need a bigger safe

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've bought a number of items from GB. I've gotten many bargains, but I had to sort thru a lot of dreck. Patience and alertness are the keys.

Just by way of example, I'd been looking to replace a S&W M43 (22 Kit Gun with alloy frame) that I sold in a moment of weakness decades ago. Typical asking prices seemed to be in the 7-800 range, which seemed ridiculous. after several years of searching, I picked one up for half that price. The other side of the coin is that no one else was looking for one that week.

The hunt is as much fun as the purchase. Instant gratification is only found at fools' prices.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have gotten some killer deals on GB, and some OK deals.

And I have seen some seriously insane prices being asked.

Like anything, you have to shop around. And sometimes you have to wait for the right situation to happen to buy.

And sometimes things are hot, and sometimes, for seemingly no reason, things don't move. I picked up a real M84 for my M1D. For about HALF the going rate. NO idea why it did not get a higher price, but my gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom