• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My LGS said the first phone call he got today, 10 min before opening, was asking if he had any in stock:lol2:

I really didn't get to chat with him much about them (he was very busy selling guns...and not to me, so I didn't want to interfere too much), but he thought his distributor could get them to him for a selling price of $1300-$1400ish. We won't know for sure till he gets them in the store though.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Wow. I hope they beef up the pawl/hand and cylinder star. It also would be nice if they made the grip to fit the human hand. The grip was designed to fit an ape. It's widest where the hand is smallest and smallest where the human hand is largest.

The bluing was always the best of all handguns, and I hope they offer it.

Has anyone ever compared the accuracy of a 6-inch Python with a 6-inch S&W 686? The first 686s were especially built to go head-to-toe accuracy-wise with the Python. But I've never seen any comparisons.

Can't help but wonder what the price tag will be.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Wow. I hope they beef up the pawl/hand and cylinder star. It also would be nice if they made the grip to fit the human hand. The grip was designed to fit an ape. It's widest where the hand is smallest and smallest where the human hand is largest.

Has anyone ever compared the accuracy of a 6-inch Python with a 6-inch S&W 686? The first 686s were especially built to go head-to-toe accuracy-wise with the Python. But I've never seen any comparisons.

MSRP $1499

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ

I have it in good authority that blued versions will be available down the road...but no set date yet. I'm sure Colt wants to get the new Python launched and in full production before doing other models.

Colt has also specified a much stronger grade of stainless steel for the new Python...metallurgy has not stood still...it's improved over time. Colt has been testing new Pythons with up to 15k rounds of full load magnums with no frame stretching or parts breakage. Add to that fewer action parts and I think the new Python will be very reliable and trouble-free with parts breakage not being a problem.

As far as accuracy...the Python and 686 are pretty much equal in accuracy...both are probably more accurate than the average person can hold them. The Python has an advantage accuracy-wise as it uses a tighter rate of twist than the S&W...1:14" against 1"18" for the Smith. The earlier Python (don't know about the new model) also has a tapered bore. So...theoretically...the Python is more accurate but given mechanical tolerances and the skills of the user it's probably a wash. You'll find one Python more accurate than a random 686 and a 686 more accurate than a random Python. Just the way of mechanical things.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    This is the job I need.

"What did you do at work today, honey?"

"I fired 5000 rounds from a wheel gun. Took the full 8 hour shift. 2 more days and I'll be done and can move onto the next gun. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it."

Check out the website below. They torture tested an HK P30 by shooting 91,622 rounds in 322 days. Ammo Jon could’ve retired after selling them that much ammo.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/2668

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have it in good authority that blued versions will be available down the road...but no set date yet. I'm sure Colt wants to get the new Python launched and in full production before doing other models.

Colt has also specified a much stronger grade of stainless steel for the new Python...metallurgy has not stood still...it's improved over time. Colt has been testing new Pythons with up to 15k rounds of full load magnums with no frame stretching or parts breakage. Add to that fewer action parts and I think the new Python will be very reliable and trouble-free with parts breakage not being a problem.

As far as accuracy...the Python and 686 are pretty much equal in accuracy...both are probably more accurate than the average person can hold them. The Python has an advantage accuracy-wise as it uses a tighter rate of twist than the S&W...1:14" against 1"18" for the Smith. The earlier Python (don't know about the new model) also has a tapered bore. So...theoretically...the Python is more accurate but given mechanical tolerances and the skills of the user it's probably a wash. You'll find one Python more accurate than a random 686 and a 686 more accurate than a random Python. Just the way of mechanical things.

Now this post has info making a new Python interesting.

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    My LGS said the first phone call he got today, 10 min before opening, was asking if he had any in stock:lol2:

I really didn't get to chat with him much about them (he was very busy selling guns...and not to me, so I didn't want to interfere too much), but he thought his distributor could get them to him for a selling price of $1300-$1400ish. We won't know for sure till he gets them in the store though.

The excitement is encouraging. If it hasn't already, I hope it convinces Colt to really dedicate its energy and resources to be America's premier revolver manufacturer again.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Damnit, now I know who beat me to the Germantown Walmart! It was HK!!!
    Apparently a local gun store in Frederick (not Gunrunners) bought out most of the 9mm from the Walmart on Guilford according to a couple employees there. The guy worked on them earnestly to get whatever they had in the back. It was maybe a week or less into the two MDS threads on the topic.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    My new Python was delivered to the gun store today and I filled out the paperwork so it can start its Marylandstan seven-day jail time. I found it better than I expected though Colt could have done a better job cleaning it after being test fired. It has an awesome action...buttery smooth and no stacking. The stocks felt significantly more comfortable than the factory stocks of the older Pythons. The polishing was nothing less than outstanding...nearly equal to Colt's ultimate stainless finish of years past. The lock up was standard Colt...like a bank vault. I'm looking forward to bringing it home in a week.

The finish was much better than my photos in the gun store show.
    Python-rt.jpg

Python-left.jpg

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    My new Python was delivered to the gun store today and I filled out the paperwork so it can start its Marylandstan seven-day jail time. I found it better than I expected though Colt could have done a better job cleaning it after being test fired. It has an awesome action...buttery smooth and no stacking. The stocks felt significantly more comfortable than the factory stocks of the older Pythons. The polishing was nothing less than outstanding...nearly equal to Colt's ultimate stainless finish of years past. The lock up was standard Colt...like a bank vault. I'm looking forward to bringing it home in a week.

The finish was much better than my photos in the gun store show.
    Python-rt.jpg

Python-left.jpg

Congrats. Looks beautiful. I’m waiting to see what kind of “Royal Blue” they release before I make a decision on one.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have it from an insider that Royal Blue will be available at some point...don't know when as Colt wants to get a successful launch of the stainless model before adding additional versions. Personally...I would love to see a Python in .22LR...that would be awesome...heavy but awesome. I would also love to see it offered in 10mm...but no one at Colt has asked me for my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom